Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey all,

Which is the better product for HTPC use?

1. Logitech M510 wireless laser mouse with unifying 2.4GHz tranceiver, or
2. Logitech M515 wireless optical mouse with unifying 2.4Ghz tranceiver?

Both are advertised to work at far distances, making them useful for living room use with HTPC (i.e. operating from the couch). Does laser versus optical matter at all in this case?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The M515 is called the Couch Mouse wink.gif. Unless you need high precision on you HTPC, the optical will do just fine. Laser is good for things like gaming, graphic design, and working on glass/reflective surfaces. If you aren't doing any of those you won't notice the difference between the two.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response. I'll go with the M515 then smile.gif

Is anyone using the M515 with their HTPC? I'm mainly wondering how the unifying receiver works as far as connecting both the M515 and a (unifying) compatible keyboard, using a single (unifying) USB tranceiver.

Another thing I'm wondering is if the 2.4GHz transceiver is disruptive to other 2.4GHz equipment (esp. wifi routers) operating in the general vicinity.

Thanks again for the response.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Is anyone using the M515 with their HTPC? I'm mainly wondering how the unifying receiver works as far as connecting both the M515 and a (unifying) compatible keyboard, using a single (unifying) USB tranceiver.

Another thing I'm wondering is if the 2.4GHz transceiver is disruptive to other 2.4GHz equipment (esp. wifi routers) operating in the general vicinity.

I don't have the M515 but I do use a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad and Logitech M570 trackball with a single unfying receiver and it works just fine. Set-up was a breeze and no signal issues with the couch 14' away from the receiver. Never noticed much of a difference with my wi-fi router either (located in the living room, just around 3-5' from the the keyboard/mouse), then again, the 2.4GHz band is already pretty congested in our apartment building.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I too use the K400 too but have nothing else connected to the receiver. It is about three feet from two 2.4ghz access points and I haven't had any issues with them. No problems with a 2.4ghz cordless phone either. It does cut out at about the 27' mark though. 39' I can get the cursor to move, but not well enough to control anything. Sadly my theater is at the 30' mark.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This seems to be a recurring post on here, keyboard or mice questions for HTPC. an HTPC should be operated with a remote, like any other appliance connected to a TV. Otherwise, it is just a PC connected to a TV. There are so many user friendly GUI that are also meant to be used with a remote. Even HULU desktop is meant to be used with a remote. Why are people using keyboard and mice still? Seems like it adds to user complications, unless you guys are all single people without wives or kids...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Why are people using keyboard and mice still? Seems like it adds to user complications, unless you guys are all single people without wives or kids...

I am the OP, and in my case I am the only user of the HTPC. But I may play around with remotes later. Seriously, I can't believe how much new tech gear I've been purchasing recently for home media storage and playback. Not just PC components (for server and new HTPC build), but also standalone playback boxes (like the Micca EP600). Where does it all end?

post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

This seems to be a recurring post on here, keyboard or mice questions for HTPC. an HTPC should be operated with a remote, like any other appliance connected to a TV. Otherwise, it is just a PC connected to a TV. There are so many user friendly GUI that are also meant to be used with a remote. Even HULU desktop is meant to be used with a remote. Why are people using keyboard and mice still? Seems like it adds to user complications, unless you guys are all single people without wives or kids...

Isn't that what an HTPC is? A PC connected to the TV? Is there a decree somewhere that you can't use a mouse, keyboard and remote for an HTPC? Personally, I find having a relatively decent-sized keyboard to be useful when doing maintenance on the HTPC. While our HTPCs are operated mainly via remote, there are still occasions when having an actual keyboard and mouse is convenient. The Logitech KB/M I've used all have power switches which is very nice since they're not needed most of the time.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Isn't that what an HTPC is? A PC connected to the TV? Is there a decree somewhere that you can't use a mouse, keyboard and remote for an HTPC? Personally, I find having a relatively decent-sized keyboard to be useful when doing maintenance on the HTPC. While our HTPCs are operated mainly via remote, there are still occasions when having an actual keyboard and mouse is convenient. The Logitech KB/M I've used all have power switches which is very nice since they're not needed most of the time.
I agree mine are tucked away. But both my HTPC's have a wireless KB/mouse hooked up.

Its mando for any PC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page