Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Best Buy on the Skids.

IDK if you guys know this but a few years back, Best Buy had a program going to discourage people (like me) that would only buy loss leaders by tracking purchases and denying returns or credit to these customers. They also were working to discourage customers that could manage credit and always paid off promo plans before interest had accrued (again, like me).

Then there was the time they accused me of stealing something they watched me purchase because I put the receipt in my wallet (they watched that too, register one with the yellow shirt watching the whole transaction) and refused to take it back out for the pr!ck. I got hassled by this thug just outside the door and was tackled to the ground by three of them. I could have sued but didn't want to hassle with it as I don't have time for doing stuff like that anyhow. That was nearly 10 years ago and I haven't bought anything that wasn't an on-line loss leader (and only once or twice since too)

Good Bye, Best Buy. It couldn't have happened to a better bunch of people.

Hello newegg, amazon, tiger direct and the rest of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sorry about the trouble you had there.

I for one would hate to see them go. I enjoy buying my impulse purchases there and have never had a problem with them. I just use them for tv's, amps, speakers, just about anything that can be "price-matched" and then buy all the accessories from places like amazon and monoprice.

My Gear
post #3 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah they don't like you either because you didn't purchase that $150 HDMI cable but got it for $3.49 from monoprice.

post #4 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree they are overpriced. But there is a ton of overhead in a store like that. Not that it justifies $100 cables.

But I still think it sucks for the consumer. More choice is better. I buy almost all my electronics online. But if those stores are just competing against themselves than what is to stop them from jacking up prices as well.

I do hate the things I hear their employees telling people though. Makes me cringe some of the bs I have heard browsing tvs.
post #5 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Best Buy on the Skids.
IDK if you guys know this but a few years back, Best Buy had a program going to discourage people (like me) that would only buy loss leaders by tracking purchases and denying returns or credit to these customers. They also were working to discourage customers that could manage credit and always paid off promo plans before interest had accrued (again, like me).
Then there was the time they accused me of stealing something they watched me purchase because I put the receipt in my wallet (they watched that too, register one with the yellow shirt watching the whole transaction) and refused to take it back out for the pr!ck. I got hassled by this thug just outside the door and was tackled to the ground by three of them. I could have sued but didn't want to hassle with it as I don't have time for doing stuff like that anyhow. That was nearly 10 years ago and I haven't bought anything that wasn't an on-line loss leader (and only once or twice since too)
Good Bye, Best Buy. It couldn't have happened to a better bunch of people.
Hello newegg, amazon, tiger direct and the rest of you.

I'll agree that they are stupid at times (had an issue paying off a promotion just last month where they tried to charge me interest, but the bolded part just pisses me off. I'm sure you feel proud for 'standing up for your rights' or whatever, but you intentionally caused a problem that didn't have to happen. If you don't like their policies, don't shop there.
post #6 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I do hate the things I hear their employees telling people though. Makes me cringe some of the bs I have heard browsing tvs.

Can't expect much from a high turnover, minimum wage job. Mostly young ones who cant spend the big bucks so don't have much knowledge about them. They just regurgitate the stuff they are provided and taught by other less knowledgeable people. You do find some good ones once in a while.

You go to a competing shop that does have commission based income, these guys know more, but also come with an extra layer of bs and "the end is near" attitude if you dont get the extra warranty.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #7 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I'll agree that they are stupid at times (had an issue paying off a promotion just last month where they tried to charge me interest, but the bolded part just pisses me off. I'm sure you feel proud for 'standing up for your rights' or whatever, but you intentionally caused a problem that didn't have to happen. If you don't like their policies, don't shop there.

Yeah, 'standing up for your rights' is just so lame. We should all learn to bend over and take it whenever we are told to!
post #8 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Can't expect much from a high turnover, minimum wage job. Mostly young ones who cant spend the big bucks so don't have much knowledge about them. They just regurgitate the stuff they are provided and taught by other less knowledgeable people. You do find some good ones once in a while.

You go to a competing shop that does have commission based income, these guys know more, but also come with an extra layer of bs and "the end is near" attitude if you dont get the extra warranty.
I don't expect them to be knowledgeable. I don't go there looking for help from an employee. My problem is when they straight up lie to people that don't know any better.
post #9 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't.

post #10 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I rarely shop at Best Buy anymore, mainly because I can always find the same item on line at a better price without paying sales tax. BB's showrooms are mostly a joke, as their TVs are always out of adjustment and trying to test drive a component that's not part of a display system is a complete waste of time. Add that to the fact that 99% of their sales staff couldn't find their butts with both hands and it's easy to see why they're a failing business. If that weren't enough, have you seen any of the YouTube videos with the BB employees going through their tribal rituals? That would be enough to scare anyone away from crossing their threshold.eek.gif
post #11 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

Yeah, 'standing up for your rights' is just so lame. We should all learn to bend over and take it whenever we are told to!

I'm not aware of any specific right to shop at Best Buy. Again, don't like their policies? Don't shop there. Making life miserable for a couple of minimum wage workers is a pretty crappy way to 'stand up for your rights.'
post #12 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I do hope they don't go under though. While I shop mainly at newegg, amazon and monoprice, sometimes you need something right away and there just aren't many options left. I needed a USB DVD player to repair my WHSv1 a few months back. Had a horrible time finding anywhere to buy it locally. Best Buy's price was more than newegg or amazon, but at least I was able to get it same day.
post #13 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I realize that there's pretty much no love for BB here (on this thread), but it's awfully hard (for me) to turn down $5 Blu-rays. I know that the "loss leader" appeal has been acknowledged here already, but cheap BB Blu-ray deals can also be used to make real money. For example, with the Best Buy DVD Trade-In program, I was able to procure 2 copies of "Gettysburg" on Blu-ray for $5 each, and then sell them to Amazon's Trade-In store, which awarded $11.75 for that title in "New Condition." (The Amazon trade-in value for "Gettysburg" on Blu-ray has gone down a bit since then, as it currently shows "Up to $9.90".)

Converting $10 to $23 is a great ROI, so I'll be one of the few (if not the only one) to say, "Thank you, Best Buy". smile.gif

post #14 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm planning to save up as many Reward Zone points as I can and swoop in at the last minute when things look ugly and get some great deals. I used to work there and it was not pleasant but their demise will create business opportunities for others who are more sensible in what they choose to take on as a business.
post #15 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I'm not aware of any specific right to shop at Best Buy. Again, don't like their policies? Don't shop there. Making life miserable for a couple of minimum wage workers is a pretty crappy way to 'stand up for your rights.'

It's not about shopping at Best Buy, it's about them wanting to see a receipt for something you just purchased from them and then own. Unless it's a club store, like a costco or sams, you do not have to show a receipt after purchase. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout/2007/03/checking_your_receipt_or_check.html

And I fail to see how he made the minimum wage workers lives miserable by being tackled by them. I'd call that a 'pretty crappy way' to assert their tiny bit of authority. But by all means, show your papers any time anyone in a uniform asks for them.
post #16 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I'm planning to save up as many Reward Zone points as I can and swoop in at the last minute when things look ugly and get some great deals.

Don't those points expire? I wasn't aware that saving them (indefinitely) was possible.

post #17 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM

The points are great! If you buy all your expensive stuff there, the points add up quick.

I keep hearing this "I get it cheaper online" Not if you have BB price match. They priced matched me on a few items worth over $2500 when i did my living room and the rest was the same price within a couple dollars. Plus i got the points, and 0% financing.

To each his own, but i'm a pretty savvy shopper and as long as you work BB, you will get around the lowest price possible. And no, I'd never buy their cable, mounts, wires, etc.

My Gear
post #18 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Don't those points expire? I wasn't aware that saving them (indefinitely) was possible.

If BestBuy goes BK they'll have no value at all.

post #19 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

It's not about shopping at Best Buy, it's about them wanting to see a receipt for something you just purchased from them and then own. Unless it's a club store, like a costco or sams, you do not have to show a receipt after purchase. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout/2007/03/checking_your_receipt_or_check.html

Why is it ok at Costco and not ok at Best Buy? Lots of stores do this. Micro Center, for example, also does it. Those stores have a lot of small items that people like to steal. So their policy is to check receipts on the way out. They don't hide it. That's their policy. Don't like it, don't shop there. There's nothing inhrerently wrong with the policy.

I find it annoying too. But you know it's the policy when you walk in the door. You get to choose to deal with it or shop somewhere else.

Oh, and I'd like to see some basis for the columnist's claim that it's "voluntary." I'm sure telling them "but some columnist for the Wash Post says I don't have to" will get you really far.
post #20 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't know it was the policy when I walked through the door. It wasn't posted at the front door. As far as Costco goes, you agree to it when you sign up for the membership. So you are given written notice of this policy when you sign up. I never got written notice of this policy at Best Buy.

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/WelcomeBrochure05.pdf

post #21 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM

yes it is voluntary, but refusal will lose you your membership.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with it, nor do i have a problem showing reciepts or id when i return something. It's my choice to shop there and I am aware of their policies.

My Gear
post #22 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I didn't know it was the policy when I walked through the door. It wasn't posted at the front door. As far as Costco goes, you agree to it when you sign up for the membership. So you are given written notice of this policy when you sign up. I never got written notice of this policy at Best Buy.
http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/WelcomeBrochure05.pdf

First, the next person to read all that Costco stuff will be the first.

Second, have you never shopped at Best Buy before in your life? (or Home Depot, Walmart, Micro Center, etc.?) Because if you have, then you know it's the policy. So I guess one time you're entitled to be pissed off. But if you ever go back in the store again, then it's your choice knowing full well what the rules are.
post #23 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i too have no problem showing receipt for anything i purchased before leaving their property. theft is too rampant. yes, the security guys may take it too far asserting their little power too agressively.these types may be suitable for law inforcement, but that another discussion,

at the same time, not showing a receipt when you have it after being asked several times, just to prove a point goes a little too far too. i can understand the point, but i think people need to choose their battles more wisely. if arguing that you own it and dont need to show the receipt anymore, and they backed down, what would it have gotten you? what ever good feeling you would have would mean nothing and would be just as short lived as the bad feeling you would have giving in yourself.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #24 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Why is it ok at Costco and not ok at Best Buy? Lots of stores do this. Micro Center, for example, also does it. Those stores have a lot of small items that people like to steal. So their policy is to check receipts on the way out. They don't hide it. That's their policy. Don't like it, don't shop there. There's nothing inhrerently wrong with the policy.
I find it annoying too. But you know it's the policy when you walk in the door. You get to choose to deal with it or shop somewhere else.
Oh, and I'd like to see some basis for the columnist's claim that it's "voluntary." I'm sure telling them "but some columnist for the Wash Post says I don't have to" will get you really far.

At Club stores you have signed an agreement to shop there that states they will check your receipt when you leave. Everywhere else you can say "No thank you" and walk out. While the laws will differ in every state, for the most part they can not detain you unless they have reasonable suspicion that you have stolen something. And if they do detain without reasonable suspicion there can be legal consequences. There are articles and forums all over talking about this.

I most likely will voluntarily let them check my bag under most circumstances. 99% of the time I don't care. But Sammy2's scenario was so extreme (being tackled for not showing a receipt) and ncarty97's response so snarky that it kinda got under my skin. The idea that by mildly inconveniencing someone by not accepting the presumptive label of 'thief' and refusing to show a receipt is now held with contempt is downright sad. It pissed ncary97 off! Consumer rights, and human rights in general, have become something to be hated and mocked. And it's so normalized that just trying to stand up for these rights gets a person shamed, or worse. And this is done by people...the rights holders! We are shaming each other and not the faceless organizations (corporate or government) that deserve it. So just saying "don't shop there" doesn't change anything, except to empower the already strong. The ways in which the world has changed in the last few decades, especially for individual rights, is disturbing. And the fact that we all seem to cheer it is what pisses me off! And let's be honest: Best Buy has some scandalous and deceptive practices (Geek Squad anyone?).

Ok. Rant over.
post #25 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

... if arguing that you own it and dont need to show the receipt anymore, and they backed down, what would it have gotten you? what ever good feeling you would have would mean nothing and would be just as short lived as the bad feeling you would have giving in yourself.

It's called principles. It would mean the consumer is assumed to be what makes it possible for a business to live and not assumed to be a crook. Customers used to be treated differently. Maybe it's antiquated now, and if it is...well, sad days.
post #26 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Let us not forget that WE the consumer has brought this practice about. There are thieves among us. Getting pissed off about showing your reciept is the same as getting pissed off when you have your bag checked at a concert or event, it's the bad people that brought this on. So either get over it or go do something about why this happens, it's not the stores, it's the consumers.

My Gear
post #27 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM

One more thing. In my business, if you don't like how i do things or the way i do things, you have every option to go right down the street to the next guy. I'll gladly hold the door as you leave.

My Gear
post #28 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

First, the next person to read all that Costco stuff will be the first.
Second, have you never shopped at Best Buy before in your life? (or Home Depot, Walmart, Micro Center, etc.?) Because if you have, then you know it's the policy. So I guess one time you're entitled to be pissed off. But if you ever go back in the store again, then it's your choice knowing full well what the rules are.

+1

Haters gonna hate.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #29 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

+1
Haters gonna hate.

+1

Some folks aren't ever happy, unless they're complaining ('specially here at AVS)
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

post #30 of 65 Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Stores like BestBuy, Fry's serve a purpose. Not everyone is an expert, knows how to comparison shop online, or even likes to do research. Many people have no idea what a home theater system or bigscreen hidef tv looks like. They have even less idea about the different kinds of home electronic appliances, brands etc. Going into a store like this gives people exposure, possibilities. The worst that can happen is they overspend on something, or god forbid use the GeekSquad. The best case scenario is they are able to make a first hand comparison of tv quality, looks, experience some decent sound, see and feel cameras etc, then they can go home and price shop, ask a friend to advise them, measure stuff to see if it will fit etc.

Returns are also much much easier at a local store. I also liked BB's warranty program for certain things, their phone service (which was easier to deal with and cheaper than buying the phone via the carrier stores). And you know, sometimes I just like to visit and browse, see what's new. I already miss CircuitCity and a few other big name retailers that were forced to close.

Instead of blaming the store, we should be blaming management which sets the policies and training, executives who take big fat paychecks and bonuses, and a corporate culture that simply won't work in today's economic climate.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page