Are you upgrading to Windows 8? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to Windows 8?
Yes, right away 28 14.81%
Yes, but will wait a few months 29 15.34%
No, Windows 7 works great 132 69.84%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Curious to see what everyone is doing with their HTPC's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
You need another option: Hell No.

I tried it, and after first laughing, then crying after several hours of frustration and disbelief, came to the conclusion that Windows 8 is an abomination. My Channel Logos will never work because you can no longer modify dll's. Every little thing takes much more effort. It's ugly, clunky and far less functional. Zero improvements have been made to WMC. I'm sticking with Win 7 until M$ hopefully comes to their senses with Win 9.
Steve017 and Makaveli6103 like this.
post #3 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I will be updating all my computers to windows 8 after some testing, but I had to vote no, because my htpc is another story. It will greatly depend on how my configuration of wmc + xbmc would be effected from the switch. I think Windows 8 with metro has great potential to be an awesome HTPC becuase the interface is designed to work very well from a distance. But only testing and time will tell...

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #4 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
where is the option for XP still works just fine?
joe531 likes this.

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #5 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You need another option: Hell No.
I tried it, and after first laughing, then crying after several hours of frustration and disbelief, came to the conclusion that Windows 8 is an abomination. My Channel Logos will never work because you can no longer modify dll's. Every little thing takes much more effort. It's ugly, clunky and far less functional. Zero improvements have been made to WMC. I'm sticking with Win 7 until M$ hopefully comes to their senses with Win 9.

+1 on the need to add the "hell no" vote !! tongue.gif
post #6 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

I still have that on my work PC, and while I still look for things on my home PCs as they exist in XP, I do like 7 better. There are some issues with XP that really annoy me immensely.
post #7 of 108 Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I think you should put upgrade in quotes. I still don't get why they put a tablet ui on a desktop.
post #8 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You need a forth choice:

No, XP Pro works great for me.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #9 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
... and another option 'when hell freezes over'. Not a chance 8 will ever grace my HTPC, and I'm pretty sure it will never see our other PC's either, unless we can safely remove Metro and get back to a standard desktop. Then I might consider it.
post #10 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 10
Windows 8 will be the Windows ME and Vista's of the operating system world. Useless wastes of time...
post #11 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMPSU View Post

I still have that on my work PC, and while I still look for things on my home PCs as they exist in XP, I do like 7 better. There are some issues with XP that really annoy me immensely.
oh I agree about liking win7 better, took a while for win7 to grow on me, but it is a definite improvement...
but on the other hand, a have a few systems running XP, including my work PC(s), and it works just fine...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #12 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been reading an interesting series on wegotserved.com about using Win8 as a Home Server. So far they haven't got to the nitty gritty of replacing things like backups, remote access, or WTV archiving, but it looks somewhat promising. I'm not entirely happy with WHS2011, so I'm going to pick up one of the $40 upgrades and consider it.
post #13 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I've been reading an interesting series on wegotserved.com about using Win8 as a Home Server. So far they haven't got to the nitty gritty of replacing things like backups, remote access, or WTV archiving, but it looks somewhat promising. I'm not entirely happy with WHS2011, so I'm going to pick up one of the $40 upgrades and consider it.
I've been reading the same series, but I think the big gotcha is backups. WHS 2011/S2012E style backups are critical. It has saved me now a handful of times. After a HDD or SSD failure, you are only 30mins away from a fixed system with the bare-metal restore, and the ability to go back in time and restore an entire image is critical. And the data-deduplication offered is excellent for a multi-pc household and using very minimal space for the backups.

It will be interesting to see what Terry proposes for backup to his Win8 server.
post #14 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 43
If there were improvements to Windows 8 add-on of Media Center, such as true terminal services where I could remote into a system while it is use without disturbing the users, then I would gladly upgrade to Windows 8.

Selling me an add-on with no real improvements, and having to pay an upgrade or full price for the OS to replace a perfectly working OS? No thank you.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #15 of 108 Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

I think you should put upgrade in quotes. I still don't get why they put a tablet ui on a desktop.

If you think that's dumb, consider that they're using the same interface on their server OS. The response on technet is underwhelming, to say the least.
post #16 of 108 Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

I've been reading the same series, but I think the big gotcha is backups. WHS 2011/S2012E style backups are critical. It has saved me now a handful of times. After a HDD or SSD failure, you are only 30mins away from a fixed system with the bare-metal restore, and the ability to go back in time and restore an entire image is critical. And the data-deduplication offered is excellent for a multi-pc household and using very minimal space for the backups.
It will be interesting to see what Terry proposes for backup to his Win8 server.

Agreed. Despite the flaws, I'd be happy with WHS2011 for backups except that it has that issue with drives over 2TB (not really that big of a deal to me) and some new hard drive or bios format (I can't recall what it is, but I read that WHS2011 will be unable to back up newer computers, such as the MSFT Surface).
post #17 of 108 Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

If you think that's dumb, consider that they're using the same interface on their server OS. The response on technet is underwhelming, to say the least.

You are kidding me right? I haven't really been following the Server 2012 development, just assuming Metro would not even be considered for use on a server (for very obvious reasons). OMG, Surely MS cannot be that naive to believe Metro will work on a server? Christ, the end really is nigh if this is true. I'll have to checkout Technet myself.
post #18 of 108 Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually XP Pro Sp3 works great.

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #19 of 108 Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

+1 from a satisfied XP/SageTV w/hd300 user. Works fine, no need to mess with it.
post #20 of 108 Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

You are kidding me right? I haven't really been following the Server 2012 development, just assuming Metro would not even be considered for use on a server (for very obvious reasons). OMG, Surely MS cannot be that naive to believe Metro will work on a server? Christ, the end really is nigh if this is true. I'll have to checkout Technet myself.

Yep. For all those tablet based servers with touch-screens that will be used mainly for FaceTube.
post #21 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I also vote for Hell No. Anyone know if we'll still be able to buy Win7 after Win8 comes out? Or should I buy Win7 now?

As for XP v. Win7, I have XP at work and like some features in win7 better. It's hard to use XP after using Win7. That said, XP works fine.

Bob
post #22 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I also vote for Hell No. Anyone know if we'll still be able to buy Win7 after Win8 comes out? Or should I buy Win7 now?
As for XP v. Win7, I have XP at work and like some features in win7 better. It's hard to use XP after using Win7. That said, XP works fine.

Yes. You can still buy XP even now.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Edition-Version/dp/B000KILB32/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344186245&sr=8-3&keywords=windows+xp

Funny how some people are saying they won't use WHS2011 since Microsoft has said they will quit making it yet everyone has no issues continuing to use Win7.
post #23 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Yes. You can still buy XP even now.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Edition-Version/dp/B000KILB32/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344186245&sr=8-3&keywords=windows+xp
Funny how some people are saying they won't use WHS2011 since Microsoft has said they will quit making it yet everyone has no issues continuing to use Win7.
I don't think the issue with WHS2011 is that they won't sell it (well, if you haven't purchased it yet, that might be an issue... but there's always technet)...

I think the issue is more that the existing problems that WHS2011 has will likely not get fixed. That has those of us who use it looking for the "next thing" such that some of those issues might be addressed. So far, that is S2012E, even though the ridiculous price (again... technet).
post #24 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Like what problems? Couldn't you say the same about any of the Microsoft operating systems?
post #25 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

just a quick run through history...
win95/98 smile.gif
winME mad.gif
winXP smile.gif
vista mad.gif
win7 smile.gif

just seems from M$'s track record, win8 may be best skipped... and win9 should be smile.gif

post #26 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
but your chart is missing what I felt to be the best - win 2k, though I guess you could argue that win 2k was business rather than consumer. Most people who had 2k were slow to adopt xp and also "hated" it for a time.
post #27 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, I left off 2k as it was marketed as a 'business' os...
but I don't know of anyone who was on 2k who hated xp? mostly the only people who didn't upgrade were businesses who like to wait for bugs to be found and fixed first (ie wait for SP1), and people who thought 2k was good enough for what they needed...
no hate on the level the ME or Vista managed to achieve...

post #28 of 108 Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

The signs are not good for 8, that's a fact, and I personally think it's going to split the community down the middle. Thing is, people who buy a new PC (the general populous), won't know any different, and will likely just live with it (and maybe even like it), but a huge proportion (those who build there own kit and have to 'buy' their O/S, or corporates) will certainly avoid it like the plague. I'm pretty sure MS know this, which is why 8 is almost testing the waters for them. How will people react to the new interface? Will the reviews be any good? MS might almost have to give it away to get it onto desktops, but the deluge of Windows 8 tablets that will appear might be a different matter.

I can see 8 being relatively quickly followed by 9 (maybe <2 years) depending on how 8 is received, but I'm sure the MS marketing machine will go into overdrive when it 8 ships, no doubt saying it's the fastest selling O/S they've ever released blah.. blah.. blah.
post #29 of 108 Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Like what problems?

Well how about:
  • Accessing the Media Library via Remote Web Access doesn't work without errors for those of us with decent-sized libraries. Microsoft's response? Reduce the size of your Media Library
  • Even if it works, the Media Library has design errors. Microsoft's response? Won't fix.
  • WHS 2011 can't backup/restore GPT discs on client PCs. Microsoft's response? Won't fix; buy WSE 2012 (at $425).
  • WHS 2011 server backup can't handle more than 2TB of data. Microsoft's response? Won't fix; buy WSE 2012.

Geoff Coupe
post #30 of 108 Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

Well how about:
  • Accessing the Media Library via Remote Web Access doesn't work without errors for those of us with decent-sized libraries. Microsoft's response? Reduce the size of your Media Library
  • Even if it works, the Media Library has design errors. Microsoft's response? Won't fix.
  • WHS 2011 can't backup/restore GPT discs on client PCs. Microsoft's response? Won't fix; buy WSE 2012 (at $425).
  • WHS 2011 server backup can't handle more than 2TB of data. Microsoft's response? Won't fix; buy WSE 2012.

Good points.

Points taken.

I just haven't experienced any of these firsthand.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page