3d Blu Ray setup...Am I missing something - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got my panasonic 65" gt50 plasma yesterday and deicded to check out the one 3d movie I had, the last Harry Potter movie. I have a new 3d blu ray player, but remembered that my htpc was pretty much 3d ready (or so I thought). I have an older core 2 quad (q8300 I think), a gt430 card and power dvd 9. When I popped the disk into my lg blu ray drive(also 3d compatable) I got a prompt that basically stated my display was not compatable. The htpc goes via hdmi to a 4x2 matrix (3d capable) to a denon 1712 (3d capable) to my new gt50 plasma (obviously 3d capable). After fiddling through some settings, I gave up and grabbed my new standalone player and it worked pretty much the second I fired it up. What do I need to do to set this thing up correctly?

I will add that this setup works pretty glitch free with 2d blu ray (hd audio, 1080p etc..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

Got my panasonic 65" gt50 plasma yesterday and deicded to check out the one 3d movie I had, the last Harry Potter movie. I have a new 3d blu ray player, but remembered that my htpc was pretty much 3d ready (or so I thought). I have an older core 2 quad (q8300 I think), a gt430 card and power dvd 9. When I popped the disk into my lg blu ray drive(also 3d compatable) I got a prompt that basically stated my display was not compatable. The htpc goes via hdmi to a 4x2 matrix (3d capable) to a denon 1712 (3d capable) to my new gt50 plasma (obviously 3d capable). After fiddling through some settings, I gave up and grabbed my new standalone player and it worked pretty much the second I fired it up. What do I need to do to set this thing up correctly?
I will add that this setup works pretty glitch free with 2d blu ray (hd audio, 1080p etc..)

If you bypass the matrix switch and just to the Denon do you get stereo 3D? Bypass the dennon to the matrix etc...
post #3 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

If you bypass the matrix switch and just to the Denon do you get stereo 3D? Bypass the dennon to the matrix etc...

Ya, I was going to do that but got tired. Kind of negates the point of my setup if I have to start bypassing things to make it work though, but i guess I should try and eliminate certain components as the culprit. HDMI can really be a pain. Are there any specific settings I am supposed to have checked/unchecked to have it work? Do I go into a certain setting within the nvidia control panel? thanks
post #4 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya, I was going to do that but got tired. Kind of negates the point of my setup if I have to start bypassing things to make it work though, but i guess I should try and eliminate certain components as the culprit. HDMI can really be a pain. Are there any specific settings I am supposed to have checked/unchecked to have it work? Do I go into a certain setting within the nvidia control panel? thanks

Yes there's a switch to activate the stereo 3D, the only drawback is you have to switch it back manually to get proper 2D.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Yes there's a switch to activate the stereo 3D, the only drawback is you have to switch it back manually to get proper 2D.

When I do this it pulls up the 3d vision setup that appears to require nvidia's special usb emmiter and glasses. How do i do this with just my panasonic plasma and regular bluetooth glasses????
post #6 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

ok, I backed up my harry potter disk to an iso file. Using power dvd 9 I can play the file fine, and it looks just like it does on disk without the glasses. Only problem is that my glasses are not doing anything. Also, my tv does not go into 3d mode. What am I missing? None of the changes I make in the 3d settings within power dvd seem to make any difference. How do I get this setup to send the right flags to my tv so that it recognized it as 3d?
post #7 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

After more research, it looks like I might need to pay $40 for nvidia 3dtv play, a glorified driver to synch my tv and its glasses to the nvidia card. Does this sound right? Do I need this? It appears to have been part of a big advertising push in the last couple of years' panny plasmas, but does anyone know if it works on the gt50?
post #8 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After more research, it looks like I might need to pay $40 for nvidia 3dtv play, a glorified driver to synch my tv and its glasses to the nvidia card. Does this sound right? Do I need this? It appears to have been part of a big advertising push in the last couple of years' panny plasmas, but does anyone know if it works on the gt50?

3D TVPlay is for 3D gaming you don't need it for 3D movies. Let's take a step back for a moment, and just plug in the HDMI from the PC to TV. Go to nvidia control panel and set up your 3D by following the prompt's. After that you should be good to go as far as setting up the pc. Go to PDVD's control panel and either set it for auto or 1.4 stereo 3D. If you get it working from this point on then hook it up to the AVR and make sure to set that to passthrough.If you get that working then the next step is the matrix switch. Good luck!
post #9 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Liked: 10
I will speak as someone with a similar setup but a Sammy TV.

1) Download latest nVidia drivers and install.

2) Go to start menu> nVidia folder> and run 3d setup. This should not require nVidias 3D emitter so make sure you choose the setting which is applicable.

3) Set PowerDvd to automatically play 3D movies in 3D.

4) When playing 3D, go to nVidia control panel in task bar and make sure resolution is set to 3D, 24hz, 1920p.

5) If the picture displays similar to the blurry 3D picture of your stand alone player, it should be working.

Your glasses need to sync with your TV and have nothing to do with the HTPC.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar View Post

2) Go to start menu> nVidia folder> and run 3d setup. This should not require nVidias 3D emitter so make sure you choose the setting which is applicable.
4) When playing 3D, go to nVidia control panel in task bar and make sure resolution is set to 3D, 24hz, 1920p.
5) If the picture displays similar to the blurry 3D picture of your stand alone player, it should be working.

ok
1. I am current on drivers
2. Which setting is right? My choices when going into the setup are:1usb ir emitter and glasses 2. wired glasses 3. pro hub and glasses 4. dircover glasses?? None seem to make sense for my setup and seem to apply only to nvidia propriety gear
3. Haven't gotten that far
4. " "
5. My tv does in fact show an identical picture to the blu ray player, as if it should work as long as the glasses are on, but the tv still shows as being in 2d mode (when watching a 3d blu ray on my standalolne, the tv detects 3d and gives completely separate picture options ie;thx 3d cinima, custom 3d etc.. but not here) and the glasses are not be prompted to work from the tv, so the picture is still blurry through the glasses.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try a clean install of the driver and do the 3d setup over again.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Try a clean install of the driver and do the 3d setup over again.

I have really not gotten very far into the setup because none of my above options make any sense. Does anyone know which of the setup options are correct? I have the gt50, which uses the newer style bluetooth glasses.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

OK that's the beginning of the setup? It doesn't sound right from what I remember but it's been a while. I also have a panny plasma. Not bluetooth but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried discover glasses or whatever that one is? I remember it being a tad confusing at first.

I bought the 3dtv thing though too because I was playing games as well.

Have you tried running pdvd with a 3d bd and see what happens?
post #14 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK that's the beginning of the setup? It doesn't sound right from what I remember but it's been a while. I also have a panny plasma. Not bluetooth but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried discover glasses or whatever that one is? I remember it being a tad confusing at first.

Ya, it will play the file and it looks just like the same disc when it plays from my standalone player (blurry/doubleimages), the glasses just dont seem to be getting the signal to work to put the image together. Also, the tv does not go into 3d mode.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

When I was browsing through the nvidia site to see if there were any solutions there, I noticed a section with instructions and it mentioned making the 3d display the main display. I have not tried that. Could that be the issue? Right now my regular computer monitor is the main display (via dvi) and the plasma is secondary (obviously via hdmi). I would feel stupid if that were the solution.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely worth a try.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you sure blu ray 3d would have worked without the Nvidia 3dtv play software? I only ask because on Nvidia's website they make a big deal out of being able to play blu ray 3d on your own glasses/hdtv using 3dtv play, but it specifically states that you still need power dvd or some other media player to play the movies through. If you don't need this software to play blu ray 3d with power dvd, I don't know why they put this as one of its big benefits??? I don't really know if that made any sense, but hopefully you know what I mean. The Nvidia site implies that you need this software or your tv will not be sent the correct 3d signal so that the tv goes into 3d mode and activates the glasses appropriately....Man... I am more confused now than when I started.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry but I can't really answer that. I wasn't really playing 3d discs. I'm pretty sure though that I did play the avatar iso.

But of course I had the 3dtv software. Don't think I tried without it.

You said when you just put a disc in pdvd it looks the same as you stand alone. Have you tried manually turning 3d on. Maybe the glasses will kick in.

I do think it's bs if you have to buy the software. I don't even have an nvidia card in my htpc anymore. I'd probably just give you my code to use it. I'm not home for a few days though.
You should Google around to get the 3dtv imstaller. I'm pretty sure it has a trial period but you just need to get your hands on it.

Also check out the 3d htpc FAQ in the stickies. It's a little old but it should say if you need the app or not.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sorry but I can't really answer that. I wasn't really playing 3d discs. I'm pretty sure though that I did play the avatar iso.
But of course I had the 3dtv software. Don't think I tried without it.
You said when you just put a disc in pdvd it looks the same as you stand alone. Have you tried manually turning 3d on. Maybe the glasses will kick in.
I do think it's bs if you have to buy the software. I don't even have an nvidia card in my htpc anymore. I'd probably just give you my code to use it. I'm not home for a few days though.
You should Google around to get the 3dtv imstaller. I'm pretty sure it has a trial period but you just need to get your hands on it.
Also check out the 3d htpc FAQ in the stickies. It's a little old but it should say if you need the app or not.

Thanks for the info
post #20 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. I made my plasma my primary display and sure enough the setup now works. I went through and viewed all the test images (left right etc) and was able to set the resolution and have officially gotten the tv to go into 3d mode, and the glasses are working now. I could tell it was working because my icons had depth and my mouse arrow was kind of floating. Now the not so good. When I go to watch a movie with power dvd, I still only see the blurred 3d image on the screen. The tv is still in 3d mode, and the glasses are definately working (I could see the flicker), but the movie still looks "un-decoded" or "not syched" (not sure if this is the correct terminology). Meanwhile, the mouse arrow is still floating so I know things are partially working. I think I can safely say its not the way I am hooked up but rather a conflicting setting or two. I tried all the power dvd settings to no avail. It seems as though there are two different kinds of 3d at work here. The glasses are in synch enough to run all the test images, view the desktop in 3d (as well as the aformentioned mouse arrow) but the movie is not properly synched w/the glasses. Any suggestions? I know there are a bunch of different types of 3d (side by side etc) , but how do I get these blu ray 3ds to play correctly. This has become a personal challenge to get right. ughhhhh....
post #21 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Man what a pain your having. All I can suggest is to try all the 3d modes that pdvd offers. It shouldn't be side by side. I think it's frame sequential but your right there are numerous types. Also see if changing the tvs 3d mode helps.

Sorry for the little help but I think your right sounds like a setting at this point. Also be sure the glasses are on.

post #22 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
I'll repeat that your glasses sync to your tv and not the movie. There is either a problem between your tv and glasses; or between the HTPC and TV. You mentioned earlier that your stand alone player was working fine, so there must be no problem between your glasses and tv.

Here are a few things to try:
1) Eliminate a possible cause of error being in your equipment i.e. bypass your receiver, bypass your matrix or try different high speed hdmi cables straight to your tv. If they all produce the same result, then the error lies in your configuration.

2) Look for a sample side-by-side clip on the net and play it through PowerDVD or MPC-HC to your TV. Enable 3D on the television and see if you get the right effect.

3) You most likely have an error in configuration in either PowerDVD, nVidia control panel or both.
a) Tinker with settings in both until the problem is solved
b) Download a trial version of TMT5 and see if that produces better results (you'll need to check if the trial version offers 3D support)
c) Fresh install
d) Make friends with someone computer savvy

Just as an aside, I myself got fed up with playing 3D movies through a HTPC and prefer to watch them straight through my Oppo.
post #23 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll repeat that your glasses sync to your tv and not the movie. There is either a problem between your tv and glasses; or between the HTPC and TV. You mentioned earlier that your stand alone player was working fine, so there must be no problem between your glasses and tv.
Here are a few things to try:
1) Eliminate a possible cause of error being in your equipment i.e. bypass your receiver, bypass your matrix or try different high speed hdmi cables straight to your tv. If they all produce the same result, then the error lies in your configuration.
2) Look for a sample side-by-side clip on the net and play it through PowerDVD or MPC-HC to your TV. Enable 3D on the television and see if you get the right effect.
3) You most likely have an error in configuration in either PowerDVD, nVidia control panel or both.
a) Tinker with settings in both until the problem is solved
b) Download a trial version of TMT5 and see if that produces better results (you'll need to check if the trial version offers 3D support)
c) Fresh install
d) Make friends with someone computer savvy
Just as an aside, I myself got fed up with playing 3D movies through a HTPC and prefer to watch them straight through my Oppo.

thanks for the advice. I realize the tv and the glasses are what get synched. After reading through the 3d faq sticky (which I never saw before it was suggested to me. I'm still not thrilled with the avs forum redesign), I saw a similar post by someone who appeared to have the same problem. He had power dvd 9 as well. Turns out that version was missing the option for the newer style 3d. I thought "3d ready hdtv" was what I wanted, but he claims that is for checkerboard style 3d. Like the mitsubishi dlps etc. That makes sense since power dvd 9 is an older version (it came with my lg drive and I was surprised it supported 3d at all) so I think you are on the right track with trying a trial version of one of the available programs. I think my setup is ok, since I made the tv my primary monitor and ran the setup. No wonder why 3d is not catching on, too many variables. I meanyou got side by side, checkerboard etc, then you have ir glasses, bluetooth glasses etc. , then hdmi 1.4 which may not be compatible with all avrs!!! And that's just for standalone players, and does't even cover the problems I am having
post #24 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is exactly what I do, except I use Arcsoft TMT 5.  I just pop a 3D bluray movie disc in and Arcsoft TMT 5 automatically switches my TV into 24Hz, 1080P 3D mode.  The picture looks bright, vibrant and at full resolution on my D8000 Samsung LCD.  I use the 3D glasses that came with my Samsung.

However, before I could play 3D movies in TMT 5, I had to run the Nvidia 3D TV wizard first to tell it to use 1080p, 24Hz as my default 3D resolution.  I also have AnyDVD-HD running in the background to remove advertisements/trailers/BDlive.

EDIT:  I just installed PowerDVD 12.  It seem to run very nicely on my HTPC.  In fact, it runs super quick on my HTPC; faster than Arcsoft TMT 5 when starting 3D or 2D bluray movies.

My HTPC is a 6 year old Q6600 quad core Intel based HTPC (with Nvidia 545GT + Creative Labs XiFi). 

Quote:

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

After I do a trial of powerdvd, I will likely be buying a version of it that will work with my tv. Does anyone know if this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CyberLink-Power-DVD-10-Ultra-3D-MARK-II-/140817095201?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item20c95a5a21 will work with the newer type of 3d that my tv is capable of? My assumption is "yes", but I want to make sure. Also, is there any reason why I should get a different version? Anyone know a better place to get a copy for a good price?
post #26 of 27 Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

so...figured I would let you know that I ended up upgrading from powerdvd 9 to 12. Upgrade cost about $40, not too bad. Anyways, powerdvd 12 solved this 3d issue. Everything passes through my setup just fine, and the 3d looks great, so I am happy and my ocd tendencies can turn their attention elsewhere. Thanks for the help.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page