AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Saw this over on the SiliconDust forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthecap 
Time Warner Cable executives told investors on a morning conference call the cable company has embarked on a gradual transition to an all-IP-based distribution platform which could eventually mean the end of today’s set top boxes and radically increase the amount of bandwidth available for its broadband and video networks.

“Whatever the merits of that from an engineering sense, all things IP are the standards that the world is building devices to,” said Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt. “So that’s the standard we’re going to end up migrating to until something better comes along.”

The transition will help Time Warner Cable support additional customer-owned equipment, including video game consoles, streaming online video boxes, and televisions with built-in support for cable-delivered channels.

“If you look at the cable in 1980s, there weren’t a lot of set-tops, and I think we’re going back to that over time,” Britt said.

Britt has repeatedly criticized set top box equipment as cumbersome, expensive, outdated, and disliked from the perspective of customers. He noted the only reason Time Warner uses the boxes is to support traditional televisions that cannot handle all of the services the cable company offers today, including video-on-demand and encrypted premium channels. Moving to a different technology platform can result in significant savings if cable operators adopt open standard devices and technology.

... (story continues in the link)

Not clear what this means exactly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthecap 
• The company will introduce IP-based set top boxes and home gateway devices by next year. The newest gateway is a combination DVR, DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, and a video transcoder that can convert QAM-based video to IP for devices including game consoles and new IP set top boxes. Time Warner’s newest DVR will include the capability of recording five shows at the same time while watching another and 1TB of storage.

They are going to continue to use QAM but convert it to IPTV at the customers premisis?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Lol how does that help with bandwidth if it's the same signal until it gets to your house? And it says they want to get rid of stb's but you get a new one for this service. I guess they meant in the future.

I wasn't aware iptv didn't use stb's. Doesn't uverse? I hope this doesn't affect my cable card setup.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah. Uverse has a RG/Modem/router (10/100 POS) and then you can feed RG or ethernet to a STB. I used the ethernet to STB when I had Uverse. They can eventually get more bandwidth by highly compressing the TV signal. If it is anything like Uverse was (is) then the PQ will go down.

This will probably be the trend going forward with the CableCos I think. But right now it looks like TWC will still be using QAM and then going to an ITP for the inside the house connections so maybe for the time being this won't effect cable card use. With the prime (and ceton software) setup it already is similar to IPTV inside the home I guess. Wonder if they are going to get technology from ceton or sd to do this?

post #4 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought STB rentals was a cash cow for them.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 32
It is Zagor for any provider. Going to IPTV, means that they can lock the boxes even further to the system. As for Internet speeds, it depends on how they set up the network. For ATT, TV gets the highest priority, then phone, then Internet. You can only squeeze so much out of Copper no matter if it is a coax feed, or a pair of copper wires.

As for PQ with UVerse Sammy, actually ATT has improved the PQ in the past six months.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If there's not much more bandwidth why even bother. It seems like they should all go to fiber. I guess they don't want to fork out the cash.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

If there's not much more bandwidth why even bother. It seems like they should all go to fiber. I guess they don't want to fork out the cash.

No competition, that's why. In areas where Comcast and Verizon FIOS are competing, you can get speeds of 300mb/s. Everywhere else, you're lucky to see 30-40mb/s.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Quote:

No competition, that's why. In areas where Comcast and Verizon FIOS are competing, you can get speeds of 300mb/s. Everywhere else, you're lucky to see 30-40mb/s.
I know it sucks.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

There is *PLENTY* of bandwidth available. First they need to kill analog. Secondly, they need to complete their expansion of the systems to 1GHz. If a typical MSO killed analog and completed the rollout to 1GHz it would triple their available bandwidth.
Fiber is great, but it's not necessary at this point

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #10 of 18 Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I wish they would do that.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Quote:

But also in turn Comcast is pulling channels from their line up, due to they are out of bandwidth, and want to make room for the higher Internet speeds.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Getting rid of analog is the best way to free up bandwidth even if the CableCos have to give away cheap STB's to people that want to just connect the RG5/6 to their TV and watch it.

Charter around here still has analog but I have those channels hidden in WMC. They also have an extensive fiber network in my area but it goes to nodes which in turn go to coax with a 0.5" standed core and heavy braided cable overlap all the way to the pole outside my house. I think this is much better than the two-wire system that Uverse deployed.

post #13 of 18 Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

But also in turn Comcast is pulling channels from their line up, due to they are out of bandwidth, and want to make room for the higher Internet speeds.

I don't believe it. A typical 1GHz system has room for about 475 HD channels, or over 1500 SD channels (assuming no internet or analog). Even if they are bonding 8 downstream QAMs (And I'm not aware of any doing that many) that would still only take away about 50 HD channel's worth of bandwidth.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #14 of 18 Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It does not look like TWC is going with real IPTV, they are just doing what WMC has been doing for years, take regular TV signal, whether encrypted or not, and convert it to IPTV in their "modem/cable DVR'Magic box for IPTV distribution at the residence. Which mean they are sitll going to be using CableCards.

They would be foolish to abandon the investment they made in the CableCard equipment just recently. They haven't even had a chance to fully depriciate it. They are just using "catch phrases" to lure unsuspecting customers who have been wooed away by the competition.

I wonder if Ceton had anything to do with it. Sounds like they may be using a 6 tuner Ceton Q integrated into a modem/phone appliance and connect to it using extenders (as they call cable boxes) via eithernet or MoCA.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #15 of 18 Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Liked: 15
I wouldn't think they would use cable cards for this.. maybe though.

Doesn't this sound almost exactly like what AllVid was supposed to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllVid.

If they use the AllVid spec + DLNA you could easily use WMC, MediaPortal, XBMC, Roku, Apple TV etc as your cable box.

I'm all for it. I hate renting their slow boxes.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only thing is there would need to be some sort of protection of content.

post #17 of 18 Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Getting rid of analog is the best way to free up bandwidth ...
And the only (practical) way to increase return (upstream) bandwidth. Most cable systems are limited to the spectrum between 5MHz and 45MHz for the return channels. This is because VHF Ch 2 is at 54-60MHz and you need some room for the filters. If you eliminate the low VHF channels (and change the di-plexing filters) you can claim more space in the pipe for upstream signals (faster upload speeds, local origination, interactive services, etc.)
post #18 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I am not really looking forward to TWC going to IPTV. I had uverse and the neighborhood I live in has been wired with fiber so I have FTH setup. I had so many issues trying to get Uverse working properly and using the 'total home dvr' solution. Maybe things will be different with TWC as I have switched to them and now use my HDHR-Prime. For some reason for me uverse did not like being used with multiple htpc's.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page