post #91 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

It has nothing to do with drinking the kool-aid. It has to do with Flash being brought up when it has little usefulness these days or on the iOS devices. I am not arguing against the fact that the AppleTV IS limited.
It has everything to do with Flash...And MKV...And Card Slots...And USB ports...And all the other great things Apple thinks you don't need. That's the Kool-Aid. eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You forgot floppy disks.
post #93 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

You forgot floppy disks.
True that. Without a USB port you can't even connect an external floppy drive. Thank you.
post #94 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

All the fun about an HTPC is the hobby. The building it, the software universe ( XBMC, Media Browser, MYTHTV etc....) I can build home servers. I can change configs, I can break things, I can fix things, I can tweak, I can get frustrated with it, I can feel like I accomplished something....
The ATV unit is just a mediocre product for the masses. Turn it on. Done. Its great for someone like my aunt who just is interested in watching some SD Hulu, you tube, Netflix or whatever content. They can just about understand how to log in. Apple is a successful because most of the population that uses it have been confined to a society that they have faith in. Apple is a religion. You can't tell an Apple person that they are missing something else. They will not hear it. These people using ATV are not looking for Bit perfection.
Comparing apple TV to a HTPC is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Accord. The HTPC market is not as huge as apple but neither is Ferrari. Just about everyone has a Honda.

I was with you until you seemed to look down on those who actually don't want to spend the time set up a device. (I'd rather build speakers than a HTPC. At least they're still 99% viable 5 years from now...)

"Apple is a successful because most of the population that uses it have been confined to a society that they have faith in. Apple is a religion."

Isn't that another way of saying they appeal to people who aren't technically inclined towards computers? I mean, that's the majority of the planet. And that religion bit? Rampant hyperbole.
post #95 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

All the fun about an HTPC is the hobby. The building it, the software universe ( XBMC, Media Browser, MYTHTV etc....) I can build home servers. I can change configs, I can break things, I can fix things, I can tweak, I can get frustrated with it, I can feel like I accomplished something....
The ATV unit is just a mediocre product for the masses. Turn it on. Done. Its great for someone like my aunt who just is interested in watching some SD Hulu, you tube, Netflix or whatever content. They can just about understand how to log in. Apple is a successful because most of the population that uses it have been confined to a society that they have faith in. Apple is a religion. You can't tell an Apple person that they are missing something else. They will not hear it. These people using ATV are not looking for Bit perfection.
Comparing apple TV to a HTPC is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Accord. The HTPC market is not as huge as apple but neither is Ferrari. Just about everyone has a Honda.
haha I love it so true on all accounts

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #96 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It can force you to get all your content from the apple Universe.
post #97 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

It has nothing to do with drinking the kool-aid. It has to do with Flash being brought up when it has little usefulness these days or on the iOS devices. I am not arguing against the fact that the AppleTV IS limited.
While adobe has discontinued flash development for mobile devices, there is still a large amount of content on the web which uses, and will continue to use it for many years to come.

post #98 of 111 Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find it incredibly hard to beat the Win 7 HTPC, Ceton card + Xbox extenders solution. Yes, I know, Microsoft is hard at work killing that setup with Windows 8 but the Xbox paired with a HTPC is a very compelling solution for live TV. What Apple TV fans fail to see is that Apple TV can't give you local news, local weather, live sports or any subscription channels. For all of that you need FIOS, Dish, UVerse or Cable and if you are going that far, think about an HTPC instead.
post #99 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

While adobe has discontinued flash development for mobile devices, there is still a large amount of content on the web which uses, and will continue to use it for many years to come.

Flash lives on on iOS devices too. They get repackaged inside of something like an AIR app half the time.
post #100 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lets see .

Bistreaming DTS-HD / Master Audio -htpc check

airplay - xbmc, airtunes, airspeaker, itunes, - check, "Check out Airfoil"

1080p high bit rate - check

1080p 3d bitstreaming check

even checkerboard 3d output for early DLP adopters check

amazing flexibility in software / hardware - check

atv 2- closed ecosystem unless jailbroken. even then xbmc - just ok,

atv classic - with xbmc crystal hd. mediocre

atv 3 - not an option at this time.

If anything take a look at the upcoming android options with Pivos. - XBMC is alive and well, and moving along quickly to a usable product. I have been pondering it and watching devopment.

My corsair HX520 power supply just busted, Corsair is such a customer centric company i will have one in a few days on Advanced RMA, and HTPC will be b0 ack in service for probably at least 2 more years. Running C2D 8400 /4GB / Fermi Video card. Cant remember which one. 650 maybe. Have BD / and HD-DVD Combo drive still works great. For master control.

The dell / gyration motion remote. amazing wii-like technology. and very user friendly. WAF.

post #101 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The question should be is there anything an HTPC can do that appleTV can't.

Much, much longer list..

post #102 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well yeah. It's an actual computer with a full fledged OS after all.
post #103 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
original ATV ran off gimped OSx. be careful what you say .

post #104 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Flash lives on on iOS devices too. They get repackaged inside of something like an AIR app half the time.
That's what I've noticed, a lot of sites have Apps available to provide the content on iOS that is delivered to other devices via flash. However, not all content is available via an App or for free via an App. Plus I don’t want to have the hassle of downloading an App. I want to just want to go to a site and view content.

post #105 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

The dell / gyration motion remote. amazing wii-like technology. and very user friendly. WAF.

Must...resist...urge...to waste more countless hours searching the net for an RF receiver to match that remote. I was one of the suckers who thought they'd be easy to find.

The quest for that receiver has been my single biggest frustration re HTPC builds.
post #106 of 111 Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Pretty sure that was Adobe’s plan, but it was against Apple’s ToS and disallowed from the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

That's what I've noticed, a lot of sites have Apps available to provide the content on iOS that is delivered to other devices via flash. However, not all content is available via an App or for free via an App. Plus I don’t want to have the hassle of downloading an App. I want to just want to go to a site and view content.
Most sites using Flash now are just delivering H.264 in a Flash container rather than an MP4 one…
post #107 of 111 Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Pretty sure that was Adobe’s plan, but it was against Apple’s ToS and disallowed from the store.
Most sites using Flash now are just delivering H.264 in a Flash container rather than an MP4 one…

Darn those custom runtimes anyway! :-)
post #108 of 111 Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

original ATV ran off gimped OSx. be careful what you say .

Careful how? Isn't gimped the same as not full-fledged, hence the need to call it gimped?
post #109 of 111 Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 14
Does Apple TV support Dolby Tru-HD or DTS-HD? No?

Argument over, HTPC wins.
post #110 of 111 Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That's actually my biggest beef with Apple TV (and really, most small media boxes). The lossless audio. I can actually live with gradient banding in a dark sky due to lower video bit-rates, but I miss my lossless audio the most.
post #111 of 111 Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
AppleTV is for iTunes, both the store and your local library. It has some nice add-ons like Netflix and Hulu+ but really, it is for iTunes. Do not expect it to be customizable nor to play non-iTunes compliant files or files that have higher video/audio quality than you can get from the iTunes store.

I have a fried that has an HTPC, an XBox, and an AppleTV. He's got his complete video library in iTunes as well as showing up in MediaBrowser on the HTPC. His AppleTV is his go to device 90% of the time. It's quick, starts instantly and is rock solid. He has compromised on video and audio quality (he has a older flat panel and AVR in any case) and really it doesn't reduce the enjoyment of the content to a great extent although it would be a deal breaker for some.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page