need help getting good picture quality from htpc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't seem to configure the settings properly to get a good picture. I tried using the htpc to connect to two different lcd, but got same results. My htpc connects directly to the lcd over hdmi. On my Sony XBR, once the htpc is connected, it won't let me adjust the tv settings. Settings like color, hue, sharpness, advanced settings are grayed out and says features not available for PC. I tried connecting to Samsung led, and it's basically the same thing if not worse. Picture quality is bad and can't adjust certain settings. I'm comparing the picture quality to playing a mkv on something like a PBO media player and playing a blu-ray disc on a ps3 connected to the same tv. The difference is like watching blu-ray on a low-end VIZIO compared to watching it on a high-end SAMSUNG. I played around with the settings on the htpc, but can't find one that makes it comparable to watching from ps3.

TV
Sony XBR9
Samsung ES6100

HTPC
ECS H61H2-M2 mobo
intel g620 cpu
8gb ram
windows 7 64-bit pro

I'm using the built-in intel graphics on the cpu. Will upgrading to a video card help with picture quality? Any help would be appreciated. My whole purpose of a htpc is to store my blu-ray collection for easy access. Having bad picture quality defeats the purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What format are you storing your blu-ray back-ups in?

What player are you using?

Is there a setting on these TVs to tell them that you are not connecting your PC.

Can you try a different HDMI port.

You only need to a video card under limit circumstances.

post #3 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

:DWhat format are you storing your blu-ray back-ups in?

Is there a setting on these TVs to tell them that you are not connecting your PC.

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

:DWhat format are you storing your blu-ray back-ups in?

mkv format, mp4 format. it doesn't matter what format it is since I can just insert the same blu-ray disc I used on the ps3 into the htpc and get different picture quality.

windows media center mainly. windows media player. windows media classic. i think nero and couple more that i forgot.

There are no settings to tell them that I'm not connecting my pc. I tried tricking it into thinking I'm not on a pc. For example, hdmi port 1: I tried configuring the tv settings while it's connected to the ps3. I then pull out the hdmi from ps3 and connect to the htpc and it'll still automatically detects that I'm on a pc and gray out those settings.

Tried all hdmi port and same results

I also tried using a laptop to test this and same results. TV won't let me change settings because I'm on a pc. Are people actually getting the same quality picture compare to watching blu-ray on ps3 when using a htpc?
post #5 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I recently built an HTPC similar to yours:
ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) mobo
Intel G620 cpu
4GB ram
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

It's connected to an older Sony HDTV via HDMI and the Intel graphics recognizes it as a Sony TV, and I can change the TV's settings. At least this is the way it works when displaying the Windows desktop on the TV.

I don't have a Blu-ray player but can watch, record & play OTA HDTV and the Sony's picture looks like it does when viewing HDTV directly OTA.

I wonder why your Intel graphics does not recognize your TV as a TV. My HTPC just did it by default.

What resolution shows up in your Intel graphics? Maybe try 1280x720 which may fool the HTPC into thinking there is a TV on the other end.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unarmdragon View Post

mkv format, mp4 format. it doesn't matter what format it is since I can just insert the same blu-ray disc I used on the ps3 into the htpc and get different picture quality.
windows media center mainly. windows media player. windows media classic. i think nero and couple more that i forgot.
There are no settings to tell them that I'm not connecting my pc. I tried tricking it into thinking I'm not on a pc. For example, hdmi port 1: I tried configuring the tv settings while it's connected to the ps3. I then pull out the hdmi from ps3 and connect to the htpc and it'll still automatically detects that I'm on a pc and gray out those settings.
Tried all hdmi port and same results
I also tried using a laptop to test this and same results. TV won't let me change settings because I'm on a pc. Are people actually getting the same quality picture compare to watching blu-ray on ps3 when using a htpc?

Yes. Mine is every bit as good as my stand alone blu-ray player which sits lonely and unused.

As far as the problem you are having, I've never had it so I am not sure what else to try.

post #7 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I recently built an HTPC similar to yours:
ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) mobo
Intel G620 cpu
4GB ram
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
It's connected to an older Sony HDTV via HDMI and the Intel graphics recognizes it as a Sony TV, and I can change the TV's settings. At least this is the way it works when displaying the Windows desktop on the TV.
I don't have a Blu-ray player but can watch, record & play OTA HDTV and the Sony's picture looks like it does when viewing HDTV directly OTA.
I wonder why your Intel graphics does not recognize your TV as a TV. My HTPC just did it by default.
What resolution shows up in your Intel graphics? Maybe try 1280x720 which may fool the HTPC into thinking there is a TV on the other end.

It does recognizes as a sony tv. It's the settings directly from the tv that I can't change. I can change the settings from the computer, but it still doesn't look the way it should.
Quote:

Yes. Mine is every bit as good as my stand alone blu-ray player which sits lonely and unused.
As far as the problem you are having, I've never had it so I am not sure what else to try.

This is crazy since I tried several tvs with laptops and htpc. The picture quality is not horrible, just not the way it should be with blu-rays. I'm not good at describing so best I can say is probably the color is really dull. No pop to it at all. I tried taking pictures to show what I'm talking about, but it's not as bad in the picture. 1st pic is from htpc, 2nd pic is from ps3. Also if I use my ps3 to stream from the hptc, it works fine also. This leads me to believe that it's the settings from the htpc that can't be configured correctly.

post #8 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

This leads me to believe that it's the settings from the htpc that I. can't configure correctly.
Fixed
post #9 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL..

What player is being used?
Splitter/Filter/Codec?

It is something in they way you have it configured that is causing the issue.

post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LOL..
What player is being used?
Splitter/Filter/Codec?
It is something in they way you have it configured that is causing the issue.

windows media player. using shark007 codecs LAV splitter

did you have to configure anything when setting up your htpc?
post #11 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes.

The settings are all laid out step by step with screen shots too in assassin's guide. The time it will save you on this is well worth the $25. All the other stuff you can learn by reading them is just icing on the cake.

There's a free Shark007 guide on there too if you don't want to pay but you'll be missing out on all the other cool things you can do with your HTPC.

post #12 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes.
The settings are all laid out step by step with screen shots too in assassin's guide. The time it will save you on this is well worth the $25. All the other stuff you can learn by reading them is just icing on the cake.
There's a free Shark007 guide on there too if you don't want to pay but you'll be missing out on all the other cool things you can do with your HTPC.

i don't mind paying as long as it actually works. did you get your settings from there? i'm looking thru the site and don't see anything pertaining to adjusting picture quality. only thing remotely close is "connecting your htpc to you hdtv correctly," and that doesn't really sound like adjusting picture settings.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

i don't mind paying as long as it actually works. did you get your settings from there?

assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=161

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get the Shark007 settings for free. BTW you should be using Media Center not Media Player for playback.

I use different settings than those though because I'm using Media Browser and MPC-HC with MadVR rather than WMC for playback that is covered in the guide but also (mostly) available in MINDBOMB's sticky.

Take a look at the Guide Contents. There's tons of stuff in there. I haven't had time to read it all yet but have set up many things for my HTPC using the guide. Also, assassin keeps adding to it too.

post #15 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Liked: 12
the settings are disabled while in PC mode because those settings should be adjusted via the video card or are not applicable to a PC set up. i get great results on my Samsung in PC mode after calibrating the settings on the video output (which is separate from the desktop output) of my nvidia card
post #16 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had that happen but I don't have my output set to PC mode but rather video mode on my HTPC.

post #17 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can you name the input blu ray or something similar? I'm curious how it detects its a pc.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

the settings are disabled while in PC mode because those settings should be adjusted via the video card or are not applicable to a PC set up. i get great results on my Samsung in PC mode after calibrating the settings on the video output (which is separate from the desktop output) of my nvidia card

I Have a XBR 9 and mine works fine with a HD5670. I'm not forced into PC mode.

post #19 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can get the Shark007 settings for free. BTW you should be using Media Center not Media Player for playback.
I use different settings than those though because I'm using Media Browser and MPC-HC with MadVR rather than WMC for playback that is covered in the guide but also (mostly) available in MINDBOMB's sticky.
Take a look at the Guide Contents. There's tons of stuff in there. I haven't had time to read it all yet but have set up many things for my HTPC using the guide. Also, assassin keeps adding to it too.

I really doubt Shark pack will get his TV out of PC mode.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have HD3000 in my laptop. I'll hook it up to the XBR9 and see if I can find anything out for you.

post #21 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

No, but it could be the filter or renderer being used by WMP that is causing the issue.

You need to go into the video card settings to change the mode.

Did you install the intelligent management software and all drivers for the on-board video?

post #22 of 26 Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Can you name the input blu ray or something similar? I'm curious how it detects its a pc.
Can't rename. I have no idea how it detects but it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

I Have a XBR 9 and mine works fine with a HD5670. I'm not forced into PC mode.

I have HD3000 in my laptop. I'll hook it up to the XBR9 and see if I can find anything out for you.
So you're able to adjust color, hue, sharpness, etc on the tv? I attached a pic to show what I'm talking about. If you're able to test out with your laptop, that will be awesome. Thanks in advance. Let me know what happens.

Quote:

No, but it could be the filter or renderer being used by WMP that is causing the issue.
You need to go into the video card settings to change the mode.
Did you install the intelligent management software and all drivers for the on-board video?
Only driver I installed for the on-board video is Intel HD graphic driver
post #23 of 26 Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I had a chance to test it.
My i5 laptop does the same thing on my TV.
The ATI 5670 in the HTPC acts just like any other hdmi device and the settings are there.

post #24 of 26 Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Well I had a chance to test it.
My i5 laptop does the same thing on my TV.
The ATI 5670 in the HTPC acts just like any other hdmi device and the settings are there.

So your i5 laptop is doing the same thing as my htpc graying out some settings?

thanks
post #25 of 26 Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

How about pulling the video card and using the intel graphics to see what happens there?

You'll need to d/l the drivers, of course.

Oops, you don't have a discrete card do you..

post #26 of 26 Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Can't rename. I have no idea how it detects but it does.
So you're able to adjust color, hue, sharpness, etc on the tv? I attached a pic to show what I'm talking about. If you're able to test out with your laptop, that will be awesome. Thanks in advance. Let me know what happens.

Only driver I installed for the on-board video is Intel HD graphic driver

that is completely normal. do the color, hue adjustments via your video cards video output settings. the greyed out sharpness and noise reduction settings, you dont want turned on either. you will probably find that the black level setting is greyed out too. thats ok because it will be set to 0-255 which is PC output. the soap opera effect (image interpolation) will also be disabled
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page