Any Onboard 3.0 USB micro-ATX Motherboards ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, so I am thinking of getting the SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0 case that USB 3.0 ports in front. But it seems few if any micro-ATX motherboards offer Onboard 3.0 USB to connect these USB 3.0 ports to. Is there an alternate way to get full USB with other borads. For instance I know a number of micro ATX boards have USB 3 ports in back? I am planning a Sandy Bridge i3-2100 build.

Note I do see Full ATX MB's with onboard 3.0: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
There's lots of them. Intel DH77EB for example.

Gigabyte has a bunch. I bought a GIgabyte with an internal USB 3.0 header almost a year ago. Don't remember the model and I think it's discontinued now, but they have lots of current ones.

Or, you can get any motherboard you want and add a SilverStone EC03 adapter.

I think most of the new H77 boards have them.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe my maximus gene z has one.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM

post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks but does the z68 board have more advantages because it is a newer chipset. I guess I haven't seen any z68's with onboard 3.0 USB.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptech View Post

Hi, so I am thinking of getting the SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0 case that USB 3.0 ports in front. But it seems few if any micro-ATX motherboards offer Onboard 3.0 USB to connect these USB 3.0 ports to. Is there an alternate way to get full USB with other borads. For instance I know a number of micro ATX boards have USB 3 ports in back? I am planning a Sandy Bridge i3-2100 build.
Note I do see Full ATX MB's with onboard 3.0: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Thanks.

Get any Ivy bridge. All have onboard USB 3.0.

I have a list of recommended boards in my hardware guide at my blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I have a list of recommended boards in my hardware guide at my blog.

Technically, you want to recommend Panther Point (Intel 7 series chipset). It's the motherboard that matters, not the CPU. He could pair a Z77 or H77 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge CPU and still get onboard USB 3.0.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Technically, you want to recommend Panther Point (Intel 7 series chipset). It's the motherboard that matters, not the CPU. He could pair a Z77 or H77 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge CPU and still get onboard USB 3.0.

That's what I just did.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I just did.

Nope. You recommended the OP get Ivy Bridge which is for the CPU. Nothing to do with chipset. You can use Cougar Point (6-series) with Ivy Bridge and Panther Point (7-series) with Sandy Bridge and it's the latter (SNB) that will give you native USB 3.0.
Quote:

post #10 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Nope. You recommended the OP get Ivy Bridge which is for the CPU. Nothing to do with chipset. You can use Cougar Point (6-series) with Ivy Bridge and Panther Point (7-series) with Sandy Bridge and it's the latter (SNB) that will give you native USB 3.0.

That's pretty picky.

I meant the new crop of motherboards (B75/H77/Z77) that were realeased with the Ivy bridge CPUs. Next time I will be more specific.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptech View Post

Thanks but does the z68 board have more advantages because it is a newer chipset. I guess I haven't seen any z68's with onboard 3.0 USB.

First, the Z68 isn't a "newer" chipset, it's actually a previous generation. The newest ones are the 7 series (Z77, H77 etc.).

Second, there are Z68s with internal USB 3.0 headers, and the GIgabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 I bought a year ago has one. At that time, there were only three boards with internal USB 3.0 headers and that's why I bought that board. But today, there are lots.

Although I'm not sure I agree that ALL 7-series chipset based boards have them. I'm pretty sure I've seen some without, so you should check the specs.

But it is certainly fair to say that it is a common item on Z77 and H77 motherboards.

A year ago when there were very few boards with that header, a lot of new cases that had front panel USB 3.0 came with a really long cable that was intended to snake through the case and plug into an external rear panel USB 3.0 port. Really really lame approach. If you are buying a case with USB 3.0 front panel ports make SURE it has a standard USB 3.0 connector for an internal header (as the newest cases do) and NOT a cable with a conventional USB plug intended to plug into a rear panel external port (as the "transitional" cases did, some of which are still on the market that way).
post #12 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Second, there are Z68s with internal USB 3.0 headers, and the GIgabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 I bought a year ago has one. At that time, there were only three boards with internal USB 3.0 headers and that's why I bought that board. But today, there are lots.

Hmm, so basically, OP isn't looking for native USB 3.0 support, rather he wants a motherboard with internal USB 3.0 headers. In that case, there should be a bunch of them, both 6- and 7-series. On the low-end of the budget spectrum, though, you're more likely to find them in 7-series boards (H77, if you're cheaping out) which already have native USB 3.0. It's cheaper for motherboard manufacturers when support is already on the chipset than if they have to add it through a 3rd party controller so internal USB 3.0 headers for older chipsets would probably be found on the more expensive, enthusiast models.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Since you rec'd several replies about specific MOBOs with the USB header, I'll note that there are USB3 PCIe 1 cards for under 30 bucks. The Silverstone EC01-P, for example, has an internal 19 pin connector (plus 4 pin for power) . I believe the EC03 adds two external USB3 connectors.

I went with the EC01 as I didn't want to buy a new MOBO at this time.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nobody suggested an AMD-based F1 socket BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard which has an on-board USB 3.0 header for your case's front panel USB 3.0 ports. I'm running it with the A6-3500 APU retail package with HSF.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page