Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

You know, I understand all of that, BUT....

To start with, if I was building a serious gaming system (which, as I said, I'm not), I'd overbuild it.   LGA2011 motherboards are around $200-250, and nobody's builiding serious game machines wth $70 AsRock boards anyhow.  An X79 board wouldn't cost any more than all the Asus Maximus boards that people use all the time.  And the SB-E I7 is cheaper than a comparable 1155 i7.  Not sure what all the handwringing here is about over using an LGA2011 i7-3820.  It's a bargain if you don't care about an iGPU, which you wouldn't in a gaming machine.

Where in the world do you think you're going to save $500 using LGA 1155 rather than LGA 2011?  I can buy an Asus P9X79 and an i7-3820 together for $480 at Micro Center.  The rest of the system is basically the same, so you'd have to get your cpu and mobo for free to save even close to $500.  An Asus P8Z77-V PRO and an LGA1155 i7 would cost just as much or more.  I wouldn't build a serious gaming system around one of your famous $25 motherboards.  Face it.  All the real money is in the graphics cards which you have to buy either way. 

"Serious gaming" is a meaningless term. What precise circumstances would you say LGA 2011, with a significantly more expensive mobo/chip setup would actually produce better results?

At 2560x1600 or below, there's no point in anything more than an i5. Hell, I'm still waiting on Whiteboy to produce numbers showing that an i7 makes any difference in high-resolution (ie multimonitor/SLI) gaming setups. Even if you want an i7 those are available for 1155. So CPU isn't a reason to do 2011.

So next? Doing SLI at x16/x16 vs x8/x8.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4147/nvidia_nf200_x16_x16_vs_intel_x8_x8_p67_performance_analysis/index.html
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/1

If you can find articles from reputable sites that show significant differences in performance between the two, I'd love to find them, because all I see is that x8 vs x16 makes no perceptible difference in performance.

So what's left? Tri-SLI, I guess. But considering you can crush most games with SLI'ed 670s, even at 5760x1080, it makes very little sense to go with tri-SLI.

So as far as I can tell, serious gaming means: I want to run a tri-sli setup for a 3-monitor 1080p+ setup because I must have 60+ fps on current games with detail settings maxxed out.
EDIT: And I just found there are at least two Z77 boards that will do full 2 x16 and even 4 x8. So yeah, that pretty much invalidates any reason to go LGA2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Right. LGA2011 not needed.

In fact: If your gaming then integrated graphic don't matter either.

LGA 1155 + 2500k or 2600K is really your best bang for you buck. You could go IVY if you wanted but that still would not produce noticeably better results and would cost more.

2600K for $199 + a good Asus enthusiast gaming board is where a value gaming machine is right now.

Get high end (not top end cutting edge) video cards and run two of them. Usually a $250 card x2 is better than a $500 card but you need to look close cause these things change quick with price changes.

I have dual 6870's on my i7 and it crushes everything easily.

6870 X2 cards are not exactly expensive either. I think I paid $129 each after rebates.

If OP is looking at a single 670 Nvidia he simply don't need more. Get a 2600K + an Asus Mobo Z77 or Z68.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #63 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Where are you seeing $200 2600ks though. Just curious. I know micro center had that sale once. But I've never seen it again.

2 x 6870s is definitely nice performance per dollar. But I wouldn't consider it high end.. Limited vram should be holding you back on some games depending on your resolution. Gpu power though I'm sure you are right there with a gtx 670.
post #64 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Where are you seeing $200 2600ks though. Just curious. I know micro center had that sale once. But I've never seen it again.
2 x 6870s is definitely nice performance per dollar. But I wouldn't consider it high end.. Limited vram should be holding you back on some games depending on your resolution. Gpu power though I'm sure you are right there with a gtx 670.

But I built this machine in February and back then it was the smarter choice. Today prices are a little different. The 670 is probably a nice more stable card but the Radeon's always have the most band for the buck.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #65 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

Actually I would get this for $159 (Even though I own the 2600k)

-

post #66 of 67 Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I would stay away from auto overclocking. The board will usually give the chip much more voltage than needed to ensure stability.
+1. I ran the autooverclocking software that came with my Gigabyte motherboard and the results it gave me were completely unstable. I was able to get a better more stable overclock doing it manually. The auto overclock wanted to mess around with the BCLK which isn't really necessary for Sandy or Ivy Bridge.
Quote:

I'm with you there. Especially a 2011 system with a 3820 seems like a poor mans x79 setup.
I'm not really into raid 0 myself. I didn't notice a difference from one c300 to two in raid 0 besides benchies.But yah I'd rather put the money I saved on the board/six core towards the gpu/s.
RAID0 SSD can oftern be cheaper than a single drive of equivalent capacity. I went RAID0 SSD purely because it was cheaper to buy two 120GB drives than one 240GB drive. The only downside is lack of TRIM support in RAID0, which is corrected in version 11.5 of the Intel Rapid Storage Drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

And most people should be looking at dual video cards anyhow vs single.
The GTX670 is a beast that sustains above 60FPS on single screens at max detail and resolution in any current game. Twin cards is only really necessary if you want to run multiple monitors, notice a difference between 120Hz and 60Hz displays or want to use 3D. A lot of the extra detail in games at higher settings actually makes it more difficult to see the important things in the game as they tend to blend into the beautifully rendered background (ie an enemy who is about to frag you).

post #67 of 67 Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

The GTX670 is a beast that sustains above 60FPS on single screens at max detail and resolution in any current game. Twin cards is only really necessary if you want to run multiple monitors, notice a difference between 120Hz and 60Hz displays or want to use 3D. A lot of the extra detail in games at higher settings actually makes it more difficult to see the important things in the game as they tend to blend into the beautifully rendered background (ie an enemy who is about to frag you).

I find the same thing. Agree.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Cpu Fan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page