Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here starts my issue:

I got myself a Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver.

I am now connected to the receiver via HDMI and things seem to be working fine with all the sound settings.

However, When I am connected from my laptop to my receiver, the receiver is recognized as an external display by my computer and I am having issues with the resolution of my screen. ( I do not have an external monitor ).

My native screen resolution ( On the laptop ) is 1920 x 1200, but the resolution that windows automatically applies on my screen (When the receiver is connected ) is 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p ). While this is a great resolution, I am kind of uncomfartable working with my lowered screen resolution now. This also leaves approx 3/4th of an inch empty black space on the top and bottom of my display.

I have an ATI 5870 Graphics card, and I was able to stretch the 1920 x 1080 resolution to fit my screen ( through the Catalyst Command Center ), but this looks really ugly and stretched out. Is there any way to force a 1920 x 1200 onto my display ?

Also, If i disable the secondary display that Windows detects( Yamaha Receiver ), the sound is cut off too ( Like the receiver is not connected via HDMI at all ! ).

When connected to Windows, my receiver automatically sets to the "Straight" configuration. Is there any way I can change this ?

Anyway to fix the 1920 x 1080 issue ?

Thanks again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
did you "extend" your display? you should be able to do that and have independant resolutions. if you have cloning, then they will have to be the same resolution. either the laptop display will suffer, or the hdtv.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 AM

I would say that alias is right. Hit Windows Key + P that will bring up an easy change screen and then select extend. Both displays should then scale to their best resolutions.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

did you "extend" your display? you should be able to do that and have independant resolutions. if you have cloning, then they will have to be the same resolution. either the laptop display will suffer, or the hdtv.

Hello Alias,

I did do an extend display, and yes, this enables me to have two different resolutions, but when I do this, my desktop is actually extended into my secondary display ( being my receiver. I do not have a TV at all connected to the receiver )

I would be least concerned about my second display losing resolution, but I would like my mouse to stop going into my next display ( My case being the receiver with no actual TV connected to it ! ) This is an irritation during gaming when my mouse disappears into the next screen !

Also, even after I disconnect the HDMI, I still have the option in my display settings showing my Display 2, it is not taken off that list. What is the issue here ?
post #5 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTT View Post

I would say that alias is right. Hit Windows Key + P that will bring up an easy change screen and then select extend. Both displays should then scale to their best resolutions.

Hello Mikey, I understand and did try this, but extended resolutions let your mouse wander away while gaming and this is annoying !
post #6 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM

I see what your gripe is now: If I've got this right, and I apologise for not picking up on this right away, with the HDMI from your PC to the Amp (receiver) it detects this is a secondary display, but you don't then have a TV connected to the Amp. So it's like you have a 2nd display but there isn't really one there.

In theory then, if you do the following then that should fix the problem, but I don't know then if the sound will also go:
(Assuming you're on Win7)
  • Right click the desktop
  • Click screen resolution
  • Select your 2nd screen that doesn't exist
  • Next to the Multiple displays entry drop down the options box
  • Select disconnect this display
  • OK

That will give you you're single display back, but I'm not 100% sure it'll leave you with the audio. This is less brute force than disabling the display altogether. If that doesn't work, then I can only see two options.
1) Replace the HDMI with a TosLink connection instead from the PC if it supports it or get a USB to TosLink (http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Sound-Card-Channel-Audio/dp/B003TO3KHY/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t)
2) I was going to say use one of the HDMI splitters, but on reflection I think that'll give you the same issue

Sorry can't be of much more help.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

interesting.

there is no way to select 1920x1200 when both connected?
can you leave your settings as duplicate/clone, meaning no seperate secondary display, but in sound settings, select hdmi as default output?

I would guess you tried this but the fact that the receiver is connected may be overriding it and forcing the 1920x1080. if it does force it once the receiver is on, select computer only again or duplicate with windows + P. audio should still get passed through.

i would try setting audio default to hdmi but no external display (computer only setting).

most google searches show how to disable audio and pass video, but very few, mostly unanswered about disable video and pass audio.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTT View Post

I see what your gripe is now: If I've got this right, and I apologise for not picking up on this right away, with the HDMI from your PC to the Amp (receiver) it detects this is a secondary display, but you don't then have a TV connected to the Amp. So it's like you have a 2nd display but there isn't really one there.
In theory then, if you do the following then that should fix the problem, but I don't know then if the sound will also go:
(Assuming you're on Win7)
  • Right click the desktop
  • Click screen resolution
  • Select your 2nd screen that doesn't exist
  • Next to the Multiple displays entry drop down the options box
  • Select disconnect this display
  • OK
That will give you you're single display back, but I'm not 100% sure it'll leave you with the audio. This is less brute force than disabling the display altogether. If that doesn't work, then I can only see two options.
1) Replace the HDMI with a TosLink connection instead from the PC if it supports it or get a USB to TosLink (http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Sound-Card-Channel-Audio/dp/B003TO3KHY/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t)
2) I was going to say use one of the HDMI splitters, but on reflection I think that'll give you the same issue
Sorry can't be of much more help.

Hello Mikey,

I tried doing what you have suggested.

[*] Right click the desktop - Done
[*] Click screen resolution - Done
[*] Select your 2nd screen that doesn't exist - Done
[*] Next to the Multiple displays entry drop down the options box - There is no Options box to drop down !!confused.gif

I was considering using an external soundcard, but I am thinking if I need to invest or go with losing 60pixels !
post #9 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

interesting.
can you leave your settings as duplicate/clone, meaning no seperate secondary display, but in sound settings, select hdmi as default output?
I would guess you tried this but the fact that the receiver is connected may be overriding it and forcing the 1920x1080. if it does force it once the receiver is on, select computer only again or duplicate with windows + P. audio should still get passed through.
i would try setting audio default to hdmi but no external display (computer only setting).
most google searches show how to disable audio and pass video, but very few, mostly unanswered about disable video and pass audio.

Hello Alias,

interesting.
I have not found a way to get 1920 x 1200 working when both are connected !

I could do this, but again duplicating displays forces 1920 x 1080 ( not 1200 ), and audio is connected to the HDMI Audio as default !

I would guess you tried this but the fact that the receiver is connected may be overriding it and forcing the 1920x1080. if it does force it once the receiver is on, select computer only again or duplicate with windows + P. audio should still get passed through. i would try setting audio default to hdmi but no external display (computer only setting).
Yes, this is what is happening, but if I choose Computer only as the display, audio is automatically shut off via the HDMI !
post #10 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

what laptop do you have?
i could try the same setup to try and figure it out. i have an alienware 17xr2 with a 5870.
receiver is a denon but should react the same.

post #11 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

what laptop do you have?
i could try the same setup to try and figure it out. i have an alienware 17xr2 with a 5870.
receiver is a denon but should react the same.

Hello Alias,

I have the same Alienware M17X R2 with Dual ATI 5870s in Crossfire.

Its connected to a Yamaha Rx-V665 via HDMI !

Thanks a bunch !!
post #12 of 23 Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, couldnt get it to work. The default for the receiver would bump it down to 1920x1080.

I did do one thing; connect my 24" dell 16:10 display as the output hdmi monitor. the resolution then would be 1920x1200. i know thats not an option, but does lead to another option.
so as of now, you have a few options, cheapest to more expensive.

1. use the 2nd display option with extending. use a software to limit mouse to one monitor. google "limit mouse to one display" gives you several options

2. use another way to pass audio as MikeyTT suggested instead of HDMI. USB to XXX would be the option for the laptop and probably better then using the 3.5mm stereo audio out

3. my external monitor test means the receiver can adjust to 1920x1200, but that means tricking it by spoofing the EDID. There is a $100 dollar device talked about here. I cant remember the name; HDMI Detective I think. Maybe someone can chime in. This involved connected it to a 16:10 monitor which can take an HDMI input and display 1920x1200. Once programmed, you use this small device as your output from your reciever. No more monitor needed. The receiver will think you still have it connected. You can then use the duplicate setting and no need for mouse software to limit to one screen. SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS AS AN OPTION. I hope i got the function of this device correct: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

note: there may be a driver/software technique to spoof EDID from your computer, but have no idea about it. Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?search=EDID+Override

good luck.

post #13 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep, couldnt get it to work. The default for the receiver would bump it down to 1920x1080.
I did do one thing; connect my 24" dell 16:10 display as the output hdmi monitor. the resolution then would be 1920x1200. i know thats not an option, but does lead to another option.
so as of now, you have a few options, cheapest to more expensive.
1. use the 2nd display option with extending. use a software to limit mouse to one monitor. google "limit mouse to one display" gives you several options
2. use another way to pass audio as MikeyTT suggested instead of HDMI. USB to XXX would be the option for the laptop and probably better then using the 3.5mm stereo audio out
3. my external monitor test means the receiver can adjust to 1920x1200, but that means tricking it by spoofing the EDID. There is a $100 dollar device talked about here. I cant remember the name; HDMI Detective I think. Maybe someone can chime in. This involved connected it to a 16:10 monitor which can take an HDMI input and display 1920x1200. Once programmed, you use this small device as your output from your reciever. No more monitor needed. The receiver will think you still have it connected. You can then use the duplicate setting and no need for mouse software to limit to one screen. SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS AS AN OPTION. I hope i got the function of this device correct: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005
note: there may be a driver/software technique to spoof EDID from your computer, but have no idea about it. Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?search=EDID+Override
good luck.

Hello Alias,

Thanks for trying it out for me !!

I guess I'm gonna stick with limiting my mouse .

Also, did you have anyway you send a bitstream signal from your laptop to the receiver so that the receiver can decode the audio/video stream ?
post #14 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I dont use the ALX for htpc so I never tried.

I have a dedicated HTPC with a 6670 ATI care which can also bitstream HD audio.

The mobility 5870 should be able to bitstream audio, but not sure about HD audio. Bitstream would really depend on the player and filters. I used the MPC-HC sticky here for the HTPC. The exact same should apply for the ALX.

What is the goal? Bitstream audio to the receiver and watch the video on the ALX? MPC-HC would do that.

post #15 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I dont use the ALX for htpc so I never tried.
I have a dedicated HTPC with a 6670 ATI care which can also bitstream HD audio.
The mobility 5870 should be able to bitstream audio, but not sure about HD audio. Bitstream would really depend on the player and filters. I used the MPC-HC sticky here for the HTPC. The exact same should apply for the ALX.
What is the goal? Bitstream audio to the receiver and watch the video on the ALX? MPC-HC would do that.

I did read that my ATI 5870 can bitsream HD audio as well, but how do I change settings for it to bitsream audio/video ?

Can you tell me what the ALX is ? You mean Alienware ALX ? I use the M17xR2 as well to HTPC.

Do you have the link to a guide to the MPC-HC Sticky.

Yes, that would be the goal, I want to bitstream audio to the receiver to provide sound through my home theatre system while I watch on my laptop display.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

sorry, i use ALX for alienware, which is probably wrong. i do mean the m17xR2.
setting hdmi as your default sound should be sufficient. the dell driver has not been updated in over a year or 2, so you may not see the latest settings you find on screenshots on the internet. for now, just follow the sticky for the player and filters, see how it goes. if you still have problems, let me know.

stick to guide: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

first post pretty much is all you need. it gets updated often, although i only actually make changes maybe every 3 months or if i do a fresh install. if it works as you like it once you set it up, dont upgrade as often as the post is updated :P

post #17 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

setting hdmi as your default sound should be sufficient. the dell driver has not been updated in over a year or 2, so you may not see the latest settings you find on screenshots on the internet. for now, just follow the sticky for the player and filters, see how it goes. if you still have problems, let me know.
first post pretty much is all you need. it gets updated often, although i only actually make changes maybe every 3 months or if i do a fresh install. if it works as you like it once you set it up, dont upgrade as often as the post is updated :P

Thanks for the link Alias !

Yea, I wish Dell did some proper driver updates ! But I do get my Video Card updates from AMD so I am up to date on those, just the IDT Audio is not updated.

So, following those will make sure my computer outs Bitstream, correct ? And this should mean that my receiver should show "Dolby/DTS/DTS-HD etc" when such content is being played ? For example a movie dis ?

Also the guide shows, download Media Player Classic Home Cinema, does having the complete K-Lite codec pack help or do I have to get rid of the codec pack ?
post #18 of 23 Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Also, Have you tried using XBMC for Bitsream ?

Worth a read i suppose !

http://www.insanehtpc.com/2012/02/19/bitstream-hd-audio-on-xbmc/
post #19 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Alias,

Followed your link to MPC-HC for bitstreaming and it works great !

And just a question: if i am bitstreaming, should the receiver automshow dolby etc when I am playing a dolby disc or similar ?
post #20 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

i woudl think so. on my denon, i have in input signal display, then i also have what they convert to.

for example, it will show DTS when that is the signal coming in. I can then set it to DTS and that will show in output. many times though, in a small apartment where i cant turn up the volume too high, i will set it to multichannel stereo so i can hear everything on low volume.

so depends on how your receiver works, but i would image this day and age they will all show that the incoming signal is.

when i first setup, i was testing and it would show all incoming signal times, including HD Audio.

screenshot from my manual for front panel display, box 1 shows all the decoding symbols for incoming signals. you should have something similar. if not, maybe a button for info on the signals.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i woudl think so. on my denon, i have in input signal display, then i also have what they convert to.
for example, it will show DTS when that is the signal coming in. I can then set it to DTS and that will show in output. many times though, in a small apartment where i cant turn up the volume too high, i will set it to multichannel stereo so i can hear everything on low volume.
so depends on how your receiver works, but i would image this day and age they will all show that the incoming signal is.
when i first setup, i was testing and it would show all incoming signal times, including HD Audio.
screenshot from my manual for front panel display, box 1 shows all the decoding symbols for incoming signals. you should have something similar. if not, maybe a button for info on the signals.

Hey Alias,

Just found out that my Receiver display is not going to show me what kind of a input it is unless i hit the info button!!

Thanks for your help !
post #22 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

no problem. glad to help when i am able.

did you use one of the mouse limiting tools? if so which one and did it work out for you as you needed?

post #23 of 23 Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

no problem. glad to help when i am able.
did you use one of the mouse limiting tools? if so which one and did it work out for you as you needed?

smile.gif

Yes, I use Cursor Lock now ! And it works pretty well..
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page