Ripping TV Season BD Discs - How to determine which episode is which? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When ripping season blu ray discs is there any way to determine which title = which episode? Other than watching them? Anyone have any tricks??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I could swear this exact same question was posted a few weeks ago.

post #3 of 15 Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
I rip my shows using MakeMKV. I always rip the MPLS. Not the M2TS. Sometimes I'll get lucky and the episodes will be in numerical order. For instance, if there's 4 episodes on a disc they'll appear as 7000, 7001, 7002, and 7003 in MakeMKV. Where it gets tricky, is when they're not in order.

What I like to do is play the first 1 or 2 seconds of each episode, using a Blu-ray player or TMT5. I then write down what appears on screen during those brief moments, and the episode length in minutes and seconds. I then rip all MPLS episodes on the discs that match up with the run times I had written down. I will play the first 1 or 2 seconds of each episode I ripped and compare what I wrote down and run times to figure out which episode is which.

It's a huge pain in the but to do. But it's the safest way for me to rip TV shows. In the past, I didn't know that some TV shows are out of order when you ripped them. And then found out the hard way by accidently watching an episode out of order.

There's still some risk of spoilers with watching those first 2 seconds of each episode, but I don't know of any safer way to do it.

Edit: I should add that most of the time, I can tell which episode is which by their run times. It's only when each episode is exactly the same length, that I have to rely on watching those first 2 seconds.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #4 of 15 Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, that's sort of the way I've been doing it but it sure is clunky. I rip the whole season at once and sometimes for shows I've never seen so to have to watch even a few seconds of the later episodes before I have even watched the earlier ones is really a bummer. Only way around it I guess would be some sort of database of shows with episode/title matching or some way to see which title is started by the BD menu.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 137
There are several ways to determine the episodes on the disc, but they all require that you play the disc. The most obvious would be to see the title displayed, but not that many programs display the actual title onscreen. Another is to check the closing credits for the episode number. You can get a complete listing of TV programs and their episode numbers at www.epguides.com. If you're archiving shows it's a great way to create a checklist to see which episodes you have and what you need.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

There are several ways to determine the episodes on the disc, but they all require that you play the disc. The most obvious would be to see the title displayed, but not that many programs display the actual title onscreen. Another is to check the closing credits for the episode number. You can get a complete listing of TV programs and their episode numbers at www.epguides.com. If you're archiving shows it's a great way to create a checklist to see which episodes you have and what you need.
Do tv shows always show the episode number in the credits? I wasn't aware, thats cool.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Show, season and episode information can be had along with metadata and artwork at www.thetvdb.com also.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Show, season and episode information can be had along with metadata and artwork at www.thetvdb.com also.
True but it doesn't really help when trying to figure out the episodes on a disc. Unless of course you read the plot and watch the episodes enough to figure out which is which. But besides tasking forever that would totally spoil the show.

Great site though. I use it often when I need some info on a show.

TVrage is another popular one for episode listings.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You need season, episode and synopsis information right? If you are working on a single season you can get the basic information such as the entire season 7 of Weeds. I guess I'm not seeing the difference?

post #10 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For movies, I usually google the movie name and mpls. A lot the the torrents include the mpls # in the title, so it helps me figure out which is the right one to rip. you could try this for the tv episode discs.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You need season, episode and synopsis information right? If you are working on a single season you can get the basic information such as the entire season 7 of Weeds. I guess I'm not seeing the difference?

Its great for naming etc. My point was if ripping a tv show I do not want to figure out each episode by reading a synopsis, and then viewing the show to see if it matches up. If you have no idea what episode is which then to me it seems this would be the only method with TVDB. Or am I missing something. I understand if you are stuck this will work. But it seems like a last resort.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Guess there's trailers on epguides which might help a bit more. No trailers on thetvdb.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

We should start a thread like the forced subs thread. And get a database going. Surprised there isn't one yet.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Great idea. So this can be it!!

post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

We should start a thread like the forced subs thread. And get a database going. Surprised there isn't one yet.
Any development in this area? I'm developing some software/hardware to automate DVD/BD ripping and I have yet to come across anything that supports automatically renaming TV show episode files based on their raw file information (e.g. disc number, title number, runtime, # of chapters, screenshots, etc.). If there's not already one in place, I'm debating putting one together.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page