convert video to format compatible with Nexus 7 tablet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a lot of movies, tv shows, videos, etc., that were originally Blu-rays and DVDs ripped to my media server. The Blu-rays have all been ripped to MKVs using either MakeMKV or 'Another EAC3 to GUI'. I've ripped all of our DVDs using AnyDVD and saving the folder structure of the DVD onto my server.

Now I'd like to make copies of some of these so they can be viewed on a Nexus 7 tablet, which I just purchased as a gift for my wife on her birthday. I don't want to purchase movies we already own from the Google Play store.

The Nexus 7 has a 1280 x 800 screen. It is an Android device running the latest "Jelly Bean" version of the OS. I haven't opened it up (her birthday is tomorrow), so I don't know what specific formats it will support. I've tried converting an MKV blu-ray to a 1280x800 MKV using RipBot264, but it doesn't seem to work. After letting this app run over night, the final screen shows "all jobs finished", but the destination folder is empty.

I've also used 'CloneDVD Mobile' in the past for converting DVDs to iPod Touch format for my daughters, but it doesn't support the higher resolution of the Nexus 7.

Does anyone know if there are other applications that will do this?

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Liked: 14
Try DVD Catalyst by Tools4Movies. The full app is $10 but I think they have a free trial. It's well worth the $10 IMO. Converted mkvs to mp4s for iphone, droid charge, and toshiba thrive tablet without a single problem.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

I've got a lot of movies, tv shows, videos, etc., that were originally Blu-rays and DVDs ripped to my media server. The Blu-rays have all been ripped to MKVs using either MakeMKV or 'Another EAC3 to GUI'. I've ripped all of our DVDs using AnyDVD and saving the folder structure of the DVD onto my server.
Now I'd like to make copies of some of these so they can be viewed on a Nexus 7 tablet, which I just purchased as a gift for my wife on her birthday. I don't want to purchase movies we already own from the Google Play store.
The Nexus 7 has a 1280 x 800 screen. It is an Android device running the latest "Jelly Bean" version of the OS. I haven't opened it up (her birthday is tomorrow), so I don't know what specific formats it will support. I've tried converting an MKV blu-ray to a 1280x800 MKV using RipBot264, but it doesn't seem to work. After letting this app run over night, the final screen shows "all jobs finished", but the destination folder is empty.
I've also used 'CloneDVD Mobile' in the past for converting DVDs to iPod Touch format for my daughters, but it doesn't support the higher resolution of the Nexus 7.
Have you tried handbrake? It is free and will probably do the job for you. Probably best just to convert to 720p MP4.
post #4 of 30 Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

Have you tried Google? You should be able to easily find the best target format. If it's an MP4 or MKV it takes best the HandBrake is your friend.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also recommend Handbrake.

But ripbot should work fine too. I actually like it better but its not as common here.

I think the problem was the weird resolution you chose. You should just do 1280x720.

Also mkv is not supported by android, I don't think AC3 audio is either. Plenty of players will play mkv like Dice player, but your probably better off doing MP4's.
I had issues with AC3 audio on my Asus transformer. It could play it but not in hardware. I had to select software so its decoded by the cpu, only certain players could
do it well.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll try changing to normal 720P and see if that works.

BTW, after you add the MKV file (from the Blu-ray) to ripbot, it shows that the video is h.264 1080P, but shows "no audio" on the audio panel. I'm assuming this is because I don't need a separate audio file since it is already included in the MKV package. Is that right?

The original audio (don't remember if it was DTSHD or not, but it was a lossless 5.1 surround format) was converted to multichannel FLAC. I did not included any of the core audio tracks or any stereo tracks. I wonder if it will play the center, and surround channels. If it doesn't move the center channel to the left and right channels, then we'll lose a lot of the dialog.

Gregg Plummer
post #7 of 30 Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, I changed the settings to 1280x720 and saved to MP4 and Ripbot264 produced a file. Unfortunately there's no audio.

When I play the MKV file with MPC-HC, it has 6 channel, 24-bit 48KHz audio and plays just fine. Again, Ripbot264 shows "NO AUDIO". MediaInfo shows First audio stream: 48.9 KHz, 24 bits, 6 channels, FLAC.

I'll try to seek out help from the Ripbot website. Or, maybe it's time to try Handbrake.

Gregg Plummer
post #8 of 30 Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
for playback over network Mirage beta might work...although its not very slick... software on PC with files transcodes realtime
post #9 of 30 Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Once you add the blu ray to ripbot. Go to the audio settings and select which audio type you want. Sounds like it's defaulting to flac. Which you don't want. Also since these are for the Nexus your probably better off selecting mp4 for better compatibility.

What are you using to decrypt the blu ray? Do you have anydvd running? I didn't think ripbot was able to do that part.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Blu-ray was already decrypted with AnyDVD HD when it was ripped to the MKV file. The audio was transcoded to FLAC, which is supported by the Nexus 7, but for some strange reason isn't detected with Ripbot264. There were no other options for audio with this particular MKV file. So I may need to try re-ripping my Blu-ray.

I tried a different MKV file (another Blu-ray rip on my media server) and it worked fine with Ripbot264, although the resulting A/V sync was a bit off.

I also downloaded and tried Handbrake v0.9.8 and it seems to work pretty well so far.

Thanks for everyone's advice!!

Gregg Plummer
post #11 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Nexus 7 supports MKV and MP4 video format, if you install the video player app, it can support more.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucew0617 View Post

Nexus 7 supports MKV and MP4 video format, if you install the video player app, it can support more.

Which one?
post #13 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucew0617 View Post

With the default player? My Asus TF300 running ICS and the same hardware didn't. A third party app was required if I'm not mistaken. I think mkvs didn't even show up as videos.

Tried to find the supported formats for the nexus 7 but google just shows a bunch of apps for converting.
post #14 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Which one?
So many, if you search "video player" in Google Play, you can find them. Or, maybe you can try one from this post: Top 5 Video Player apps for Android Mobile Phone and Tablet
post #15 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

MX video player and dice player are two of the more popular.
post #16 of 30 Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Liked: 26
Players for Android are:

MX Player
MoboPlayer
DICE Player
BSPlayer

Can't recommend Handbrake strongly enough. Also, you really don't want to waste space on FLAC audio when you have MKVs that you plan to play on a tablet, especially since Nexus 7 does not have an SD slot.
post #17 of 30 Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

With the default player? My Asus TF300 running ICS and the same hardware didn't. A third party app was required if I'm not mistaken. I think mkvs didn't even show up as videos.
Tried to find the supported formats for the nexus 7 but google just shows a bunch of apps for converting.
Didn't try too hard.... http://gdgt.com/asus/nexus/7/specs/
post #18 of 30 Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

No need to be rude. Nothing mentioned about mkv there.
post #19 of 30 Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Not being rude. Just practical. AVC in an MP4 container, just like recommended there.
post #20 of 30 Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:

MKV is just a container, everything is about the video codec, so not every MKV file can be supported by Neuxs 7. From my own opinion, H.264 MPEG4 video can be supported by most of Android devices.
post #21 of 30 Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand it's more about the codec. But natively at least in the past android has not supported mkv. You could get it to work easily with many apps.

Maybe that has changed idk.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why even bother to re-encode them for the Nexus. I just use Plex server (free) and with the plex android app ($5) and all my moves are transcoded and streamed to the nexus on the fly. The quality is really good and the user interface is really nice. No worries about containers or codecs.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Why even bother to re-encode them for the Nexus. I just use Plex server (free) and with the plex android app ($5) and all my moves are transcoded and streamed to the nexus on the fly. The quality is really good and the user interface is really nice. No worries about containers or codecs.

^+1. I do the same and it works flawlessly.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

and how portable is this solution?
post #25 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

and how portable is this solution?

I'm not sure what your asking, but for now Plex on android requires an network connection. A feature called PlexSync is currently in testing that allows you to store the file locally to the device at the press of a button. The video is automatically transcoded to a compatible format.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

...but for now Plex on android requires an network connection.

exactly my point.
post #27 of 30 Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM

I have 0 success when I used the "Play Movies & TV", but 100 % success copying the movies to Nexus7 ASUS tablet movie directory selecting the "Gallery icon", which shows movies,photos taken or my Hi Res Camera.

I often capture YouTube or other videos in FLV or AVI from my camera, and convert for my Samsung Q and for my Tablet.

I convert for my tablet in resolutions of 640 x 360 up to 1280 x 720 on a laptop

Example in 1280 x 720 settings are: 1280 x 720, format MPEG, Video Codec, H264, Audio Codec AAC, at 24 or 30 FPS.

All this can be done economically via `Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate`` around $45 US.

Good Luck,

Brian Johnston

brian.johnston at ljinfograph.com
post #28 of 30 Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For all my portable devices I use Handbrake High Profile with RF=18 and 720 pixels wide. The default adds an AAC audio track as the first track and AC3 as the second audio track. The resulting file can be played on almost anything including my old Jelly Bean Android phone, Apple TVs, WDTV, etc. Best compromise for all devices.

Tim
post #29 of 30 Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

I understand it's more about the codec. But natively at least in the past android has not supported mkv. You could get it to work easily with many apps.

Maybe that has changed idk.

Most manufacturers did a lot of customization on their Android devices. HTC and Samsung Android devices can play mkv files for many generations now (as far as I can remember, back to Android 2.0 days).
post #30 of 30 Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

Try DVD Catalyst by Tools4Movies. The full app is $10 but I think they have a free trial. It's well worth the $10 IMO. Converted mkvs to mp4s for iphone, droid charge, and toshiba thrive tablet without a single problem.
Definitely agree.

Combined with Anydvd HD, I've used DVDCatalyst to convert Bluray, DVD, MKV, my Sony camcorder files, AVI's, and other files to MP4's for use on my mobile devices.

DVD Catalyst 4 has consistently taken care of the optimum encoder settings for me on my Moto Xoom, iPad2, iPad3, BB Playbook, Surface RT and a few of my android phones. It has been the BEST, Easiest, and most reliable way to give me great looking videos to take with me. I've used it to encode DVD's, Blurays, camcorder videos, etc. And they all look great. Ok, so DVD rips don't look as good as Bluray rips, but that is because of the DVD source. (Note: I pick the Moto Xoom profile, then change the resolution for the Xoom in "Modify" to 1280x720 to get one file that plays/looks good on all those devices)

Their web site says it "includes pre-configured profiles for 1000s of devices" I can't say as I've never counted. But it does have profiles for phones, tablets, media players (like Roku, XBMC, PS3 Media Server) and more.

While Handbrake can work, the video quality of the files it encoded for me don't look as good as those done with DVD Catalyst. The output from Handbrake looks a little "faded" color wise.

(No, I don't work for the company, I'm just a very satisfied user)
Reply Home Theater Computers