Adding SSD to my home PC-Just a couple of last minute questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The SSD I ordered last week is supposed to be delivered today. Just want to make sure I havent missed anything before installing it tonight.

First, I have already cleaned everything I want off the system drive that is in the pc now...pictures, itunes library, some documents, a few videos, etc. I moved them all over to another internal hard drive. I also copied all my favorites from internet explorer to add to the new install. (The pictures and videos are also on my unraid server)

Then, I made a list of all the programs that I will want to re-install onto the new build.
(Utorrent, photoshop, vegas movie studio, itunes, and a few other things)

Now, my plan is to clean install windows 7 64bit...I was running 32 but since I have the original CD I bought from MS I figured I would install the 64bit version this time.
My plan:
1. Set BIOS to AHCI
2. Clean Install Windows 7
3. Updates, drivers, etc.
4. Re-install programs....this is where I am still unsure.
From past threads some suggest to install photoshop and vegas to the SSD. How about itunes?
If I want to install some programs to my 2nd or even 3rd internal drives, do I add a folder called programs to the other HD and point my installs there?
Or am I better off keeping all my programs on the ssd and everything else on the large HD's?

BTW, the SSD is 128GB. The PC also has a 1tb second drive and I will probably re-use the HD thats in there now as a third drive...its a 300gb.

Any different suggestions?

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28

With a 128GB SSD there should be plenty of room to install ALL programs on the SSD.  That's one of the big advantages of getting a 128 rather than a 64.  You don't need to pick and choose or worry about it.

You do need to set programs like iTunes so that the music library is stored on the hard disk. By default it will put it in the same place as the program, but you can change it. You don't want to (or need to) store all your music files on your SSD.

Let us know how that goes. I'm particularly interested in how it goes to try to move the Sony Vegas Studio. That program seems very picky about authentication and registration, and I'd be very interested to hear whether moving it to a new drive creates any problems.

What brand of SSD by the way?  Samsung and Intel in particular have some very good utilities for their drives that check and fix any configuration issues (and also monitor the health of the drives).  If you have one of those, I recommend installing the utility.  The utilities for some other makes that I've tried have been essentially useless.

One thing that many people do, by the way, that can make things easier, is to unplug any hard disks before you install Windows.  With the SSD as the only installed drive, there's no confusion about where things end up.  After Windows is installed, you can then plug back in the other drives.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its a Sandisk that I got with the Staples deal the other day.....$53 with free shipping for the 128gb.

Believe me, I will absolutely unplug all HDD's before the install!
Good tip.....

Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its a Sandisk that I got with the Staples deal the other day.....$53 with free shipping for the 128gb.

Believe me, I will absolutely unplug all HDD's before the install!
Good tip.....

One of mine is a Sandisk also.  Its utility is useless as far as I can tell.

You certainly got a good deal though.

Personally, I'm too lazy to unplug all the other disks and never have on my installs, but I just point it out becuase it seems like it probably is a good idea.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

One of mine is a Sandisk also.  Its utility is useless as far as I can tell.

You certainly got a good deal though.

Personally, I'm too lazy to unplug all the other disks and never have on my installs, but I just point it out becuase it seems like it probably is a good idea.

Lazy is the root cause of probably 99% of all the mistakes I make...

no taking chances with this one...biggrin.gif

Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're comfortable with what you're doing and have done it enough times, it's not an issue.  If you're not comfortable and are doing it the first time, it's a easy way of avoiding confusion and potential problems.  One less thing to confuse or get wrong while you're in the middle of doing it.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hey Dan,

You don't mention it, but how much RAM is in your machine? You did mention going from 32 to 64 bit so I would assume 4GB.
Only mention it as this would be a good time to blow all the dust out of your case, and while in there maybe add a bit more RAM.

One other thing. I saw the great suggestion above about moving the Itunes folder onto the spinner. Make sure you do the same
if you save Videos (Recorded TV, for example)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, 4gb Ram...sadly thats the max for my motherboard mad.gif

Blew the dust out (so thats where all my cats hair goes to!)

Doing windows updates now.....kind of screwed up by using the windows disc I had here instead of downloading windows from Microsoft....its doing a ton of updates (121 of them)!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yeah it may be doing 121 updates; but it does them fast... I am just in love with these SSD's.... biggrin.gif
Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post

Yeah it may be doing 121 updates; but it does them fast... I am just in love with these SSD's.... biggrin.gif

No Kidding!
Amazing how fast it was to install Win 7 and each reboot was lightning fast.

Cant wait to really get a chance to play with it tonight.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Do you have a Western Digital HDD at all?

If yes, then you can download and use acronis true image to do this. The WD HDD needs to be in the system that you are cloning.

Move all excess data onto another drive but leave all your programs and settings in place.

Install acronis to the current boot drive and then shut down and install your new SSD. Boot back up and clone your drive over. No re-installing updates and programs or re-doing your settings is required.

ATIH2010WD_userguide_14192_en.pdf 4212k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ATIH2010WD_userguide_14192_en.pdf (4.11 MB, 4 views)

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Do you have a Western Digital HDD at all?
If yes, then you can download and use acronis true image to do this. The WD HDD needs to be in the system that you are cloning.
Move all excess data onto another drive but leave all your programs and settings in place.
Install acronis to the current boot drive and then shut down and install your new SSD. Boot back up and clone your drive over. No re-installing updates and programs or re-doing your settings is required.
ATIH2010WD_userguide_14192_en.pdf 4212k .pdf file

This is what I did and it works great, just remember to rerun the WEI after install so that windows adjusts for the SSD (defrag, indexing, etc…)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished with the install (Clean Win 7) and all the updates.
Loaded Photoshop, Power Director, and the few other programs I needed and still 100gb free out of a 128gb SSD, so really happy about that.

VERY impressed with how fast Photoshop and Power Director fire up.
Havent had a chance to really put them through their paces yet but will in the next few days.

Another big plus...the drive that was in there that had the OS before was a WD 300gb 5200. New drive is so much quieter
and much less heat in the box now!