Video/audio playback on HTPC and TV refresh rate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys
I am completely new to the world of HTPCs, although have built a few desktop PCs. I am contemplating my first HTPC build and have another post on here regarding the components I want to use, although a not getting any feedback.

Having read around a lot about HTPCs I am rapidly coming to the conclusion is it worth the hassle!! I don't want to spend all this money and spend all this time ripping my DVD/Bluray collection if the picture and sound is not as good as just sticking a disc into a Bluray player.

I guess I am concerned by all the posts regarding the 23.976 Hz issue and video juttering as most GPU cards or onboard graphics only support 24 Hz and not true 23.976. I think I read a post by Assassin somewhere that he was concerned that such posts might put people like me off even going there in the first place. I cannot pretend that I understand everything that has been said and how to deal with it, but am worried that it is beyond my capabilities in sorting out. I can just imagine my wife's face if I go ahead and finally get it done only for the video/audio not to work properly!

My situation is that I have a Panasonic Viera 100Hz 1920x1080p HD TV (TX-32LZD85). The TV manual also states that it supports 24p movie playback. I live in the UK so TV uses the PAL system.

Manual states it will take following input signals via hdmi

525 (480) / 60i
525 (480) / 60p
625 (576) / 50i
625 (576) / 50p
750 (720) / 60p
750 (720) / 50p
1,125 (1,080) / 60i
1,125 (1,080) / 50i
1,125 (1,080) / 60p
1,125 (1,080) / 50p
1,125 (1,080) / 24p

On the HTPC I planning on building I intend to use an i3 processor with HD3000 graphics (no video card as not interested in gaming). I will use XBMC as my front end. I want to bit stream audio via HDMI to my receiver for decoding (Sony STR-DA2400ES). I will also have a bluray writer/reader installed for playing standard disks, using either Total Media Theatre 5 or PowerDVD 12.

Can someone in simple terms tell me, even if in theory, whether this is all OK or if I can expect any problems? Am I worrying too much about this?

Sorry if my post seems a bit basic, but this is a steep learning curve. Thanks for any input.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hi Dave

Welcome to the wonderful world of HTPC. No such thing as basic posts, we've all been there.

From reading your post, there is little you need worry about. The PC Spec is certainly sufficient to run XBMC (and bitstream HD Audio), just don't use DXVA (intel and XBMC DXVA don't work well at the moment). Stop worrying and go for it - the only thing I haven't any experience with is TMT/PowerDVD I have no need for extras etc so I just rip to mkv and playback, so I don't know what problems you may or may not encounter with those programmes.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Hi Dave
Welcome to the wonderful world of HTPC. No such thing as basic posts, we've all been there.
From reading your post, there is little you need worry about. The PC Spec is certainly sufficient to run XBMC (and bitstream HD Audio), just don't use DXVA (intel and XBMC DXVA don't work well at the moment). Stop worrying and go for it - the only thing I haven't any experience with is TMT/PowerDVD I have no need for extras etc so I just rip to mkv and playback, so I don't know what problems you may or may not encounter with those programmes.

Thanks Steelman for your reply. I am not sure that I would know if I was using DXVA anyway. Isn't this a DirectX API for using a graphics card to assist with the decoding of video - if so I a not using a dedicated Graphics card just onboard. At the moment I want to continue to use MyMovies for ripping DVDs to file structures and Bluray to ISOs, create nfo files so metadata can be read by XBMC.

Cheers

Dave
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
dxva can help, but the cpu can do that same work as well. on my ati, its buggy, so i dont use it.

I have it disabled in the playback options in XBMC and i also dont use it in the mpc-hc configuration.

welcome to the forum!

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

dxva can help, but the cpu can do that same work as well. on my ati, its buggy, so i dont use it.
I have it disabled in the playback options in XBMC and i also dont use it in the mpc-hc configuration.
welcome to the forum!

Thanks aliaskary77 for the tips and welcome, I will make sure to disable this in the settings once I get it all up and running.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page