Best Nvidia video card for Blue-ray an stereo 3D NOT Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planing to build a PC. i5 Mid size case.

HDMI connected to 2 HDMI out AV Receiver.

Having trouble selecting best Nvidia video card for my need.
I have thousands of side by side stereo still picture pairs (jpg, MPO, BMP) to view on 3D TV (LG) Now mostly stored on USB drives connected direct to TV.

I shall watch and copy Blue-ray movies and 3D Blue-ray. ( I copy but do not PC watch on my old PC)

I DO NOT play Games other than "solitaire" I'm old and slow.

Radion killed an old computer will not consider.

I believe separate video card will allow more PC multitasking while watching videos. ??

cost is important do not want more than needed low power consumption also good.

Thank You,

Tom

Tomrobin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 12
Are you using the sandybridge/ivy i5? If so, I don't think you even need a gpu as you should be able to use the onboard gpu.

As for multitasking, yeah it could help but it depends on what kind of tasks you want to do while watching videos. Obviously gpu heavy tasks would benefit the most (video editing, encoding,photoshop).

You could build the i5 machine first and then see how it performs with the tasks you want, if it's not fast or smooth enough, you could buy the video card later.

For SBS and TnB you play it on the pc and set SBS on the TV, the TV does the processing not the PC.

post #3 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10
At a guess, maybe the GT630? The GT430 used to be the card of choice, but going on what I've read recently, it's getting to the stage where it may not be fast enough for what's to come. Of course, you could always grab a 430 now, and then a better card down the track as prices go down.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I believe 630 is re-badged 530. Look for a GT640.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I believe 630 is re-badged 530. Look for a GT640.
Good call, from Anand
Quote:
The GT 610, GT 620, and GT 630 are all based on Fermi GPUs
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have both GT430 [Asus] and GT520 [Zotac - yes it is the 620 as well]; the 520 is better with a variety of TV's IMO. You can get a zotac 1GB for less than others or the new 2 GB version, if you have some spare power, for the price of the 1 GB Asus version on sale usually.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

EVGA GT640 2GB. Latest generation Nvidia GPU (Kepler GPU), takes up only a single slot space (doesn't unnecessarily waste a good PCI slot space). Very quiet fan and emit very little heat. DDR3/128bit is more than enough bandwidth for 2D/3D bluray any TV application such as Windows Media Center application. It works perfectly with PowerDVD 12 for 3D bluray! Its powerful enough to playback 2160P H.264 videos on my 6 year old PC; with enough processing power left to scale it back down to 1080p in realtime.

I particularly like the EVGA brand since it's sigificantly less noisy than the Zotac GT640 (which I had to return due to fan noise). EVGA sells at NewEgg.

A lot of people tend to obsess on this card not having DDR5; saying it's memory bandwidth starved. However, that really only applies if you're concerned with 3D gaming performance.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am curious when you expect 2160p commercial media or broadcast to become avaiable and 2160p displays to be affordable. I would like to see 2160 become available and useful but it looks like it will be years.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

This reminds me of the emerging ATSC/HD standard back in the late 90's. At this point, it's too soon to predict. It's definitely going to be years from now; but most likely less than a decade away. I was just giving an example of the GT640's general video decoding processing power; which is pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I am curious when you expect 2160p commercial media or broadcast to become avaiable and 2160p displays to be affordable. I would like to see 2160 become available and useful but it looks like it will be years.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would agree that the 640 is good advice for someone who needs a graphic card now and is not planning on playing the lastest games.

I have the Nvidia 440 GDDR5 for 1080p/60 and I have been pleased with its handling of MadVR and CUVID within MPC-HC and other audio and video playback tasks within 7MC and PowerDVD11.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page