Streaming question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having issues streaming video to my Roku. I'm using Plex on the Roku to access the videos on my HTPC. It won't stream 1080p without severe delay and can only do 720p on the lowest setting. My wireless router is a Linksys wireless N Gigabite router and my computer is an AMD Phenom II x4 973 Processor 3.21GHz with 4GB memory. It isn't a huge deal, but I'd like it to be a little better if possible. What do I need to change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My guess its either your wireless connection or your transcoding in PLEX, or both. I'd try a wired network connection first and see what that does. If you have compatible MKV files then try turning off transcoding in PLEX. Might want to check out the media streamer section of the forum, there are some Roku threads.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Roku doesn't read MKV, but does MPEG4.

I agree about the cable connection. But I suspect it's may be more a bottleneck on your PC with streaming. I have the same issue as well, but I'm on a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.66ghz D2C, 4gb RAM, 9400M NVidia). But I can do a direct file playback just fine on my HTPC, which is the second mini with same specs.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

ROKU 2 XS does play MKV through USB. I assumed it would play it through PLEX also, maybe not?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
It does play MKV through Plex, but I can't get it to stream 1080p. Wired isn't an option, I'm just wondering what I could do, if anything to improve streaming quality. Netflix through the Roku seems better, but I'm not positive what settings it is streaming.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

I still think you should try a wired setup at least temporarily just to see if it is the network or not. Wireless connections are notoriously bad for streaming HD video, I tried but had to wire my TV to stream from my server.. Netflix does a decent job of adjusting bit-rate to compensate for fluctuating bandwidth, so just because it works does not indicate your network is not the problem.

Power-line network adapters may be a solution.

You should try turning off transcoding in PLEX to see if that helps, assuming your files can be played by ROKU in their native format.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Liked: 12
Wireless presents many issues but mostly packet loss which on a TV signal sent wireless will result in pixalation. Don't own a Roku but doubt it can buffer a signal or ask for lost packets to be resent. On top of that are all the wireless devices in the home that can be messing up the signal. I remember CES 2010 and CNBC went on the floor with wireless mics and cameras. There were so many new wireless devices being used that there equipement was turning on and off randomly from all the other signals in the room . They finally gave up after an hour and went hardwired and haven't attempted it since. If is has to be wireless your best bet is a dual band set to 5 ghz only [fewer devices on this band]. It has been show that the new 4G phones affect frequencies in the 650 to 780 range [specifc ones not all] and will affect cable TV signals. Get a powerline adapter that is 200 mbps or better and HD quality for best results or a MoCA version.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefejt View Post

It does play MKV through Plex, but I can't get it to stream 1080p. Wired isn't an option, I'm just wondering what I could do, if anything to improve streaming quality. Netflix through the Roku seems better, but I'm not positive what settings it is streaming.

It appears which Roku you have. I have first generation and second generation boxes. MKV direct playback is not an option.

Plex will be play any Plex compatible file though the Roku. It'll will transcode it according to a Roku friendly format. As for the 1080p playback, I would go into the options on Plex on the Roku, and see what quality/playback options you have. Try the various qualities and see what works and doesn't. I don't remember if there was a buffer setting or not. I know on my network, I have bandwidth for direct playback with no problems (I play on a desktop). On the Roku, I can do 3mbps fine, 4 mbps usually fine, and 8mbps is hit or miss.

Beyond that, you can try the Plex forums. There is a specific section on Roku. Someone may have a tip. I think you're running into bottleneck at your PC transcoding. I don't think the Roku client is setup for direct playback since not all Rokus can do MKV. On a side note, have you tried playing one of the MKV movies directly on the Roku; I'm assuming the Roku has a USB port.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I wouldn't consider any streamer that cannot do mkv. My $60 Patriot Box Office does it and being that it is flashed with Medebo f/w it does HD Audio too.

But I guess PLEX is an option to overcome that hurdle.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Roku's big drawback is lack of direct network drive access and lack of divx. Otherwise it is a great little box.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

No direct network access? No Simba shares? No UnPNP?

post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

No direct network access? No Simba shares? No UnPNP?

Nope, pretty much only through PLEX.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

How much is the thing?

Of course the Patriot Box Office doesn't do neflix, ect. directly either. You have to use something like Playon to do that.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page