ATI 6570 scaling problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently upgraded my TV to a panasonic plasma P60ST50, and got an ATI 6570 video card for my HTPC. I'm using catalyst 12.6 installed, and by default catalyst set the scaling for my TV to some value in the middle between 15% and 0% causing a black border around my TV. I set the overscan to 0% to fill the screen and my windows desktop looks fantastic. However I've got a problem that whenever there is an application runs in some sort of 'full screen exclusive' mode, the image no longer fills the entire screen with a black border as it appeared when the overscan setting in catalyst is set somewhere in the middle (and not 0%). This happens with SageTV when in full screen exclusive mode (its fine when not), and with both google and microsoft's photo screen savers. When I exit the application or take it out of full screen mode, the desktop returns to its previous state filling the entire screen. It seems like there must be some setting somewhere for this kind of thing. I haven't tried other versions of catalyst yet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Are you using other screen refresh rates, in addition to the default setting, ie through a 'refresh rate change' within SageTV, if so you will have to change the desktop settings to each refresh rate you use and alter the overscan setting for each one individually. Overscan is not a global setting unfortunately.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
An overscan issue was fixed in version 12.8 that was released a few days ago. Not sure it's the same issue as yours though.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

An overscan issue was fixed in version 12.8 that was released a few days ago. Not sure it's the same issue as yours though.

I tried installing 12.8, but it didn't help my described problem. I'm curious if I'll see the same effect if I connect with DVI or VGA. These aren't my preferred connection methods, but it might be worth a shot.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
That is very odd. You should set your overscan to 0%. Then everything should fill your screen entirely.

There is no reason for anything else.

Usually you can disable your TV overscan with a setting or mode. You want 0% overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping.

SO if you PC is 720p... run 1280x720 60hz with 0% overscan.

Anything else will get messed up like your talking about.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That is very odd. You should set your overscan to 0%. Then everything should fill your screen entirely.
There is no reason for anything else.
Usually you can disable your TV overscan with a setting or mode. You want 0% overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping.
SO if you PC is 720p... run 1280x720 60hz with 0% overscan.
Anything else will get messed up like your talking about.

Overscan is set to 0%, and my windows desktop fills the entire screen at 1080p. I only run into a problem when a program run in some sort of full screen exclusive mode. Its not clear to me why this causes the change, and more importantly if there is a setting to fix it. When an application enters full screen exclusive mode, the screen flickers once or twice before I see the image of the application, but now there is a black border around the screen. Exiting the application returns to a full 1080p desktop after another flicker or two. Is there some independent way to find out what screen resolution and refresh rate are set when I enter this full screen mode? Its possible that this switch triggers one of the predefined profiles that has not had the resolution or overscan settings adjusted.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
It's possible that the resolution is changing and your TV is adjusting it too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM

Hi, this is because some games will only run at 50Hz (more realistically, they will select the first refresh rate they can verify that your display is compatible with if it's an HDTV) and your scaling is set only on the refresh rate you set it on. I've seen some people say setting your desktop refresh to 50hz then setting your scaling value works, it hasn't for me. Most games will have some way of setting the refresh rate, so try that first, you'll have to find those guides yourself though!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Check the "WMC menus not full screen" at TheGreenButton. Sounds similar to your issue.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page