which remote are you using? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love Harmony. I have a 900 for the living room (RF to the AV cabinet in another room) and a more basic Harmony 600 in the kitchen. The only thing I hope Logitech do is improve the RF range of whatever supersedes the 900.

I also have Roomie on IOS. It's useful for some things, especially text input on my Samsung TV, but I agree with those saying it cannot replace a physical remote for day to day use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had a harmony one for a while.

It was pretty good.

I'm now using XBMC as my HT front-end. I've picked up the Constellation remote for iPad. So now I use that. It absolutely BLOWS AWAY *ANY* other remote, period.

If you have an iPad, XBMC, pay $5 for this app. It's absolutely fantastic.

J
post #33 of 42 Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Irule!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

I had a harmony one for a while.
It was pretty good.
I'm now using XBMC as my HT front-end. I've picked up the Constellation remote for iPad. So now I use that. It absolutely BLOWS AWAY *ANY* other remote, period.
If you have an iPad, XBMC, pay $5 for this app. It's absolutely fantastic.
J

On the android side, there's an amazing remote app for xbmc called yatse. It can even do wacky stuff like change your android wallpaper to the fanart of the currently playing movie or TV show.
post #35 of 42 Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

None of these apps, nice as they look and useful as they are (at times) get around the fact a real remote is better for quickly and easily doing the basics.
post #36 of 42 Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

None of these apps, nice as they look and useful as they are (at times) get around the fact a real remote is better for quickly and easily doing the basics.

I second that., with Phone apps, you can't operate them by feel. I don't need to look at my remote to use it.

Harmony 550 for my system, runs my TV, AVR, HTPC, and XBOX seamlessly.

I do use XBMC remote on my Android Tablet when playing music in my living room on a headless PC connected to my stereo.
post #37 of 42 Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I second that., with Phone apps, you can't operate them by feel. I don't need to look at my remote to use it.
Harmony 550 for my system, runs my TV, AVR, HTPC, and XBOX seamlessly.
I do use XBMC remote on my Android Tablet when playing music in my living room on a headless PC connected to my stereo.

I spent hours created a beautiful iRule remote for all my components, and I find I usually just go back to my good ol' Harmony remote. The thing tablets are really good for are apps that allow you to actually scroll through your media like constellation, yatse, iTunes remote, etc. The upcoming Ceton companion app will also allow you to browse your WMC TV guide and initiate playback on HTPCs and extenders. The only thing I really use iRule for now is turning components on and off, adjusting volume, and launching yatse. If I have to actually navigate on the TV, a physical remote is much better.
post #38 of 42 Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Not only that, everybody using the system needs to have the app installed on their phone and know how to use the app too.

A Harmony is a better solution as it is always in the media room and ready for whomever picks it up.

post #39 of 42 Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if other receivers (non iMon/Soundgate/Silverstone Tek) work with iMon software? I'm specifically looking for the HP receiver and would like to know if it will work with iMon software. The reason for this is that I've been using Logitech harmony remote (programmed as iMon remote) with my Silverstone case (with buit-in iMon receiver) but I would like to move my HTPC from under the TV to walk-in closet so there will be no direct line of sight for the remote to work. As for the reason of using iMon software specifically, I have had great luck with it and with built-in profiles its a breeze to use with any software.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #40 of 42 Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

Does anyone know if other receivers (non iMon/Soundgate/Silverstone Tek) work with iMon software? I'm specifically looking for the HP receiver and would like to know if it will work with iMon software. The reason for this is that I've been using Logitech harmony remote (programmed as iMon remote) with my Silverstone case (with buit-in iMon receiver) but I would like to move my HTPC from under the TV to walk-in closet so there will be no direct line of sight for the remote to work. As for the reason of using iMon software specifically, I have had great luck with it and with built-in profiles (for XBMC, Media Portal etc) its a breeze to use with any software.

Does anyone have any insight about the above question?

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #41 of 42 Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

I spent some time configuring mine exactly like I want it with Aeon Nox 3.5 on XBMC. Let me know if you are interested in my keyboard.xml and my Windows registry file with notes on what the factory codes are.

Acesfullup, I would really appreciate it, is there a link or do you want to PM?

thanks very much!
post #42 of 42 Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

my FF button is starting to not function again since I last cleaned it so I was going to try to try painting on some conductive paint. the problem is, I can't find it locally. where do you usually find conductive paint?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page