AVS Forum banner

which remote are you using?

4K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  andrewjs18 
#1 ·
I currently have a rosewill rrc-127, but the FF button on my remote appears to be going bad and the remote itself is discontinued. I guess it's time to search for a new remote.

what are you guys using?

#3 ·
#4 ·
I've had many MCE remotes over the years but have never actually used any of them. It's far better to just use the dongle with the universal of your choice (harmony, URC, Xsight, etc.). That solves the vol and learning issue as well as adding macros and control of your entire system.

If you don't want to use a universal, I think the Adesso ARC-1100 on the page linked above is the best bang for the buck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but those cheap remotes with membrane type button sheet can easily be fixed when buttons start to wear out. If it isn't glued together, just remove any retaining screws and pop it open. Then clean the back of the buttons and the contacts on the circuit board with an alcohol swab. Then you should be good to go for a few more years. If the contacts are in really bad shape, a little conductive paint will do the trick. I've got remotes like that which are still going strong after 10+ years of constant use.

#5 ·
Harmony H900. My equipment is out of sight in an enclosure so I need RF. If not, Harmony One. They both were on sale at TigerDirect for $160 and $110, respectivelly recently and maybe still are. They are refurb units. I got my H900 direct from Logitech last year for $150 refurb and it was basically new. Probabaly a customer return or something. It works great and I wouldn't be without it even though there's smartphone apps; I still like having a dedicated remote as I'm not the only one using the system.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22322794

I've had many MCE remotes over the years but have never actually used any of them. It's far better to just use the dongle with the universal of your choice (harmony, URC, Xsight, etc.). That solves the vol and learning issue as well as adding macros and control of your entire system.

If you don't want to use a universal, I think the Adesso ARC-1100 on the page linked above is the best bang for the buck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but those cheap remotes with membrane type button sheet can easily be fixed when buttons start to wear out. If it isn't glued together, just remove any retaining screws and pop it open. Then clean the back of the buttons and the contacts on the circuit board with an alcohol swab. Then you should be good to go for a few more years. If the contacts are in really bad shape, a little conductive paint will do the trick. I've got remotes like that which are still going strong after 10+ years of constant use.

thanks for the info.

I'll open up the remote tomorrow and check it out and try cleaning it to see if that solves the button problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22323031

I use the Universal Remote Control WR7

- Can be had for

#10 ·
I have been working on my setup for about 6 months now and I think I have it all together. I use 7MC with Ceton tuners and XBMC with my movie and TV libraries; we go back and forth between 7MC and XBMC. I recently discovered the URC WR7. I have an HTPC at each TV and I started using the MCE remote from amazon that everyone seems to use:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345553488&sr=8-1&keywords=mce+remote

This remote works well but it feels cheap, is way too light in the hand, and is slippery and not comfortable to use, so I have switched to the URC WR7. I am still working on setting up the WR7 but it works very well with the IR receiver. It feels great in the hand and as others have said the button layout is excellent. The programming function works well too. I will be buying more so that each set works the same way - WAF is very important.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Universal-Control-Components-Favorite/dp/B001KC08A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345553776&sr=1-1&keywords=urc+wr7

Incidentally, if someone can point me to a thread with more detailed information on ways to take advantage of the programming and macros of WR7 with 7MC and XXBMC, I would really appreciate it.

#13 ·
Kimi, the WR7 is a cheap alternative to harmony. JP1 is cheaper and better but can be too complicated for the average user to set up. A few advantages over the WR7 are programming via PC, ability to use discrete codes, pronto hex, nested macros, 5 functions per button, fast macros, custom key group mapping, unlimited devices, etc.

But I digress. The advantage of a remote with macros is that you can perform complex activities with a single button press. For example, to watch WMC, I have to do the following: turn on tv, turn on AVR, turn on Xbox, wake computer, launch WMC on Xbox, switch vol keys to AVR, select AVR input, select tv input, map transport keys to Xbox. With a macro I can do all of that with a single button press. And with discrete commands like on harmony or JP1, power states never get out of sync (turning some devices off when you meant to turn them on), and you can go directly to a specific input with a single command without arrowing up and down through input menus. Getting all that extra functionality for $20 is really hard to pass up.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22325934

do you know if the remote works with WMC7?

Yep - works great. The factory default "AUX" key is a generic MCE layout. Event Ghost also works great with it.

The key presses can be programed via the Windows registry to arbitrary MCE commands.

Mine did not come with IR receivers. I have used two MediaGate receivers that were KIA and ordered two generic HP receivers on Ebay.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22326407

I am still working on setting up the WR7 but it works very well with the IR receiver. It feels great in the hand and as others have said the button layout is excellent. The programming function works well too. I will be buying more so that each set works the same way - WAF is very important.

I spent some time configuring mine exactly like I want it with Aeon Nox 3.5 on XBMC. Let me know if you are interested in my keyboard.xml and my Windows registry file with notes on what the factory codes are.

#18 ·
How do you guys program these universal remotes to work with HTPC software? I've been using Harmony remote (working as iMon remote) and it works great. Best part I like about is the the easy configuration via iMon software where I can easily assign each button to do certain thing depending on what application is in focus.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22334949

How do you guys program these universal remotes to work with HTPC software? .

For XBMC, like all other applications, I used the usual method:

1. Screwed it up trying to program it myself until the remote was rendered useless. This included Event Ghost.

2. Restored from backup -

3. Repeat 1 & 2 a few dozen times

4. Installed an all-in-one package ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179 )

5. Wanted to change some buttons from the default.

6. Using #4 and a guide ( http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/xbmccustomregis/MCE%20Remote%20mapping%20Tutorial/Tutorial.pdf ), I finally figured out how it works.

If you have an MCE remote in Windows, the key presses correspond to registry entries. Finding out what codes correspond to your remote is critical. You can use ShowKey or Event Ghost's IR driver to help determine what an IR receiver is actually getting from a remote.

Once you know this, you can match this value to nearly any key stroke combination (or even Media Center shortcuts). In XBMC, you can use the keyboard.xml to match key strokes to XBMC actions ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml ).

I really like this solution because it does not use a translation layer (such as EventGhost or iMon) between the remote and application. XBMC is very snappy and the repeat function is flawless.

I would start with the package on step #4, and adjust from there if you want.

There is also an XBMC plugin that can configure your remote ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81687 )

Good luck!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22329171

Samsung galaxy nexus phone with unified remote control, also a blue tooth mouse and keyboard.
"

Got a link to how this is possible?

I have a galaxy nexus as well, but would be more interested in the options of setting a cheap 7" tab up as a remote.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ah, I see, it's an app. Looking into it.

---

---

---

Also, are all of you running USB IR receivers? I am looking to build my first HTPC but the thought of an IR receiver bugs me. Anyone aware of a case to recommend with it built in? Or has there been any installs or parts that put the receiver in the case?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvckBox  /t/1425402/which-remote-are-you-using#post_22339219

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 wifi with unified remote.

Also on my phone same app. Im thinking about upgrading to this, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/harmony-link

Unified - http://www.unifiedremote.com/

Didn't know this existed. Thank you very much. I am really going to consider implementing this into my HTPC which is in the planning process.

If you are going to shell out $100 or more for a Harmony remote I don't see why you just wouldn't go this route. There are some very cheapo Android tabs out there now if you dont already have one and just want it for remote use.

#26 ·
Beware, the Link is a POS.

A lot of folks like myself prefer a remote with physical buttons you can use by touch. I find it very distracting to look at my remote every time I use it. And I don't like keeping something charged, waiting for something to wake up, unlocking, or risk dropping and breaking something that costs several hundred dollars.

But they look really cool and are fun to use and program, so a lot of people like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.