How to pass thru audio to just the TV speakers? (HTPC / XBMC build) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, here is a simple question, but I cant figure it out...
I have just finished building my HTPC with the help of ASSASSIN's guide (a huge thanks!)

For about 90% of our TV watching, I just use the speakers that are built into the TV. I do have a HD DTS capable AVR that has all the HDMI cables plugged into from a variety of sources, including the HTPC, and then just one main HDMI cable going to the TV.

I am using XBMC (Neon Skin) and I cant figure how to get sound thru to the TV speakers? Is there a pass-thru setting somewhere on XBMC ? I have looked and looked, but cant figure out this small problem.

Anybody know?
BTW, I just got my HTPC up and running and have finished transfering about 5TB of data to the local drives that are in it - i dont have a media server... yet...!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I think your avr would handle that pass thru, not xbmc. Should be able to set it up so that when you turn it off, it still passes audio/video to the tv. How do you do it with your other devices?

Maybe you already have that worked out, in that case, there are settings in xbmc that may help. One toggles analog, which may work better for your tv speakers. Look in the audio settings that you can pop up while watching a show.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
We're going to need a bit more information to help you. Do you already have your HTPC hooked to the TV or through an AVR then onto the TV? I believe most AVRs have pass through (that allows the video and Audio signal
to "Pass through" to the TV if the AVR is off, assuming you are connected with HDMI.

If you are hooked to you TV with a DVI cable (video) and your Audio signal goes to the AVR with Fiber Optic, I'm not sure if there's a setting for that.

Anyway, let us know more details on how you have your HTPC/AVR/TV wired.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

I think your avr would handle that pass thru, not xbmc. Should be able to set it up so that when you turn it off, it still passes audio/video to the tv.
I agree. If you are trying to do this while leaving your setup pc>avr>tv then this is something only your avr can adjust. Most have passthrough like others said. Just be aware most tv's will only accept AC3/Dolby Digital (besides PCM) so anything else bitstreamed, like DTS will
probably not work. You could of course turn off bitstreaming and be fine.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

I will try the analog setting and see what that does.
I currently have my data networked on a NAS and streamed with a WD TV Live and it works fine, but the WD is nothing compared to the features that the HTPC/XBMC offers. I will try the tips offered...
I'll try to turn off bitstreaming... Just have to find the setting to do that....!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you set it to analog then you need to hook up speakers to your pc. As that is where the sound will now be outputting, your motherboard/sound card audio out. So with HDMI only to the AVR that won't work.

Setting passthrough on your avr should be the easiest method.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Liked: 12
Personally I run HDMI from my computer [and all other items] to the TV then use SPDIF to send sound from TV to 5.1 receiver. The TV can switch sources and the receiver does not need too and never have sync issues nor interface issues or HDCP problem. When I want just TV speakers I just change it in the TV.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

So what I am gathering is that there is no way to pass along the audio thru the HDMI cable to the speakers in the TV ?!
post #9 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I can tell you that with my system, Audio is easily sent to my Sony KDL60 via HDMI from a Yamaha AVR, which switches between two computers and a stand alone Blue Ray Player.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 AM

Hi, I am no computer geek but I had this same problem but for me I have changed something on my pc that now allows the sound to be turned off on the pc and now comes out of my tv.

I have a lenovo B570 pc and an LG tv...both about 5yrs old that I have connected via an HDMI cable

. I went into device manager, and then into sound video and game controllers. In there I have 3 listings and one of them is listed as Realtek high definition audio.I opened this up and along the top went into driver, and disabled it. Hey presto sound just coming out of tv speakers.. Like I said it worked for me, and hope this helps someone.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM123 View Post

So what I am gathering is that there is no way to pass along the audio thru the HDMI cable to the speakers in the TV ?!
You can, not everyone has an avr. The question is, does the user want the avr or the XBMC/Windows to decode.
Which version of XBMC are you using?
Once your avr's hdmi is set to standby passthrough, what can you hear? Nothing?
Then try disabling passthrough device in XBMC, and choose Directsound for Default device. You should get sound with the avr turned off now. If that works, you can then setup your passthrough device in XBMC
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page