Internet issues. Modem or Switch? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Internet issues. Modem or Switch?
gonzo90017's Avatar gonzo90017 11:12 PM 08-20-2012
A couple of days ago I switched to TimeWarner cable from AT&T. I purchased this modem to avoid having to pay monthly fees.

I have 2 pc's. Bedroom pc, and living room pc. In order to have internet access on both pc's I connected the modem
and both pc's to the switch. The problem is that only 1 of the pcs gets internet access.
The other one complains about not having a valid IP configuration. If I disconnect the one with internet access from the switch,
reboot the modem, then run Network troubleshooter on the one without internet access this same error gets fixed.
But now the original one with internet access complains about not having a valid ip configuration.

This same setup worked fine with AT&T's modem yesterday.

acejh1987's Avatar acejh1987 03:14 AM 08-21-2012
Do you have a router at all?
With a cable modem you will need a router between the modem and the switch, that way the router will give each PC an unique IP address.
The modem will only work by itself with one PC connected, hence why either PC will work but not at once.
With AT&T you probably had an all in one router/modem thats why it worked fine, where as with cable they are usually separate and the modem does not act as a router.
lovekeiiy's Avatar lovekeiiy 03:37 AM 08-21-2012
I agree with the above. You can pick up a good router that'll have four ports for $50 to $100, and will include wireless access.
gonzo90017's Avatar gonzo90017 09:08 AM 08-21-2012
Thanks I had a feeling it was something like that but figured i'd ask the experts. I Ordered a router on the 16th. Damn Amazon and there slow ass free shipping!
blueiedgod's Avatar blueiedgod 10:33 AM 08-21-2012
If one of the PC's always on, you can run router software on it.
gonzo90017's Avatar gonzo90017 02:21 PM 08-21-2012
Can you give me more info on how to do this?
Zon2020's Avatar Zon2020 02:36 PM 08-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

If one of the PC's always on, you can run router software on it.

Seriously, why would you want to mess with that when you can buy a really nice, gigabit-wired plus dual-band multi-antenna wireless router for less than $75?

Sometimes it reaally is better, much easier, and more cost effective, to just buy an appropriate piece of hardware.
lsilvest's Avatar lsilvest 11:12 AM 08-22-2012
Go to NewEgg and look at the Trendnet Routers. I've had great luck with their products and have used one of their routers for a few years with both cable and DSL and never dropped a signal. If you want a free router, go to SamKnows.com and sign up for their broadband study - non-intrusive and you'll never know it's there and you get a very good router.
Zon2020's Avatar Zon2020 11:34 AM 08-22-2012
You indicated you had already ordered a router, but if you need one, I suggest reading the thread What is the very best wireless router available right now?

BTW, after that thread (and after sending back a Cisco E4200V2), I am happily using a refurbished Netgear WNDR4000. Fast, great solid connections, not a blip, has never been reset, really easy to configure, and only $75 factory refurbished at Amazon.
pixelation's Avatar pixelation 11:59 AM 08-22-2012
The best router is one that runs open source software like DD-WRT with USB storage. You can do a ton of things on it. A DD-WRT router with gigabit switch can be bought for as little as $20.
Zon2020's Avatar Zon2020 12:07 PM 08-22-2012
Not necessarily. Many routers work very well with the proprietary software.

And you can't buy a dual band 450mbps wireless router for anything close to $20. If you're satisfied with a 150mbps 2.4Ghz-only wireless router, then go for it. If you want better performance than the bare minimum, then you'll have to pay more. Open source software isn't going to get you a 5Ghz radio or higher speeds.
gonzo90017's Avatar gonzo90017 01:30 PM 08-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Seriously, why would you want to mess with that when you can buy a really nice, gigabit-wired plus dual-band multi-antenna wireless router for less than $75?
Sometimes it reaally is better, much easier, and more cost effective, to just buy an appropriate piece of hardware.
I ordered a Linksys E1000 from Amazon on the 16th. It supports DD-WRT. I got free shipping so they're taking their sweet time to send it to me. I was just looking for a temporary workaround until it arrives. And looks like I found one. I forgot that I could connect the modem directly to the Ooma (which I left out of my cool drawing for troubleshooting sake), then connect the Ooma into the switch. Now all the pc's connected to the switch can connect to the internet at the same time.

pixelation's Avatar pixelation 02:11 PM 08-22-2012
I have no ideas Ooma can function as router. I have to wonder how could you Ooma work earlier when 1 of your PC is taking over the IP?

Just be aware that now all your unencrypted PC traffic can be seen by Ooma.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/oomas_trojan_horse_strategy_for_the_home
pixelation's Avatar pixelation 02:15 PM 08-22-2012
Quote:

Not necessarily. Many routers work very well with the proprietary software.
And you can't buy a dual band 450mbps wireless router for anything close to $20. If you're satisfied with a 150mbps 2.4Ghz-only wireless router, then go for it. If you want better performance than the bare minimum, then you'll have to pay more. Open source software isn't going to get you a 5Ghz radio or higher speeds.

OP was using a switch. I would assume Wi-Fi is not his top priorities.

Besides, forget 450Mbps. All my devices are perfectly happy with just 54Mbps 802.11g network. I even watch .WTVs in HD over Wi-Fi without any issues.
Zon2020's Avatar Zon2020 03:24 PM 08-22-2012
Does he have a smart phone? A tablet? Is there no wireless device in his entire house? No wireless radio or camera, or any other wireless device? If there isn't today, there will be soon.. And as long as one is buying a new router, why not get one that provides good high speed wireless coverage as well as gigabit wired? Of course the answer to that is obvious, which is why there are fewer and fewer wired-only routers being made and sold (many stores don't even sell wired-only routers any more).

And as I said, if you're satisfied with a 150mbps 2.4Ghz-only wireless router, or even worse, with horrific wireless G throughput, then go for it.

But I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
gonzo90017's Avatar gonzo90017 12:08 AM 08-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

I have no ideas Ooma can function as router. I have to wonder how could you Ooma work earlier when 1 of your PC is taking over the IP?
Just be aware that now all your unencrypted PC traffic can be seen by Ooma.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/oomas_trojan_horse_strategy_for_the_home
This is only a temporary solution. With my old AT&T wireless router the switch was connected to slot #1 and Ooma was connected to slot #2.
I never used Ooma as my primary router until now.

Quote:

Does he have a smart phone? A tablet? Is there no wireless device in his entire house? No wireless radio or camera, or any other wireless device? If there isn't today, there will be soon.. And as long as one is buying a new router, why not get one that provides good high speed wireless coverage as well as gigabit wired? Of course the answer to that is obvious, which is why there are fewer and fewer wired-only routers being made and sold (many stores don't even sell wired-only routers any more).
And as I said, if you're satisfied with a 150mbps 2.4Ghz-only wireless router, or even worse, with horrific wireless G throughput, then go for it.
But I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
Like I said before, this is only a temporary solution. I'm expecting this router (which I ordered on the 16) to arrive tomorrow. Not the best but I was looking for something affordable. When tax season rolls around i'll take a look at some dual bands.
Up
Mobile  Desktop