Migrating from Ceton To HDHomerun - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I've been using the USB version of Ceton InfiniTV for almost a year now. Works well but crashes a bit too much for my wife's liking. I'm thinking about trying out the HDHomerun Prime and was wondering if it's as simple as plugging my cable card into the device or if I have to go thru the activation process all over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You need to activate it to pair the CableCARD with the tuner and possible the tuner to the Tuning Adapter if you have one.

You may need to reset PlayReady too.

This may make copy protected recordings un-watchable.

My HDHR Prime has been very stable but I only have one TV connected at a time usually.

post #3 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. That's a bummer about the current recordings being unwatchable...mad.gif

I'm wondering if I will notice any stability differences between the Ceton and the HDHomerun. I'm having to reboot the Ceton at least once a week if not more.
post #4 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaeed View Post

Thanks for the reply. That's a bummer about the current recordings being unwatchable...mad.gif
I'm wondering if I will notice any stability differences between the Ceton and the HDHomerun. I'm having to reboot the Ceton at least once a week if not more.

I think most of Ceton's issues are from heat. Try placing it on a fan, or have a fan blow on it. Or place it near the computer air intake to increase the air flow.

I can tell you that Internal Ceton konks out when it is hot. But, having good air flow over it seems to solve the issue.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I actually have a weekly reboot scheduled on my PC for my HDHomerun. It has its fair share of problems too. And once you find a firmware that works, save and backup those files because they only leave the most recent version up and there's no rollbacks.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I think most of Ceton's issues are from heat. Try placing it on a fan, or have a fan blow on it. Or place it near the computer air intake to increase the air flow.
I can tell you that Internal Ceton konks out when it is hot. But, having good air flow over it seems to solve the issue.

Hmm, I have the USB version and it's sitting on my open tv stand shelf by itself. I'll place a small computer case fan on top of it and see if it helps.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hi Guys,
I've been using the USB version of Ceton InfiniTV for almost a year now. Works well but crashes a bit too much for my wife's liking. I'm thinking about trying out the HDHomerun Prime and was wondering if it's as simple as plugging my cable card into the device or if I have to go thru the activation process all over?
What firmware version are you running? Also, have you opened a support ticket with us? I would like to review why we haven't been able to resolve your issue.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #8 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Eric,

I'm running the latest firmware and drivers that are made available through your s/w utility. I'm at work right now so I can't check the versions. Not running any beta drivers if that's what you are asking. I haven't opened any support tickets at this point.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on the April Official f/w for my Prime and it is working fine. The last time it was re-booted was when a tree limb took out the power on our block about two weeks ago. It runs days and weeks on end without issues except the "Tuner not Available" bug which flashes a warning on the screen right before the channel tunes. I hit okay and carry on. SiliconDust has had a barrage of nasty beta f/w updates of late and there's no rolling back, apparently due to the CableLabs lame requirement to not roll back f/w. Sounds bogus to me. Good idea to save the working f/w. I have it but I'm going to verify because I just swapped a HDD to a SSD recently and I may have lost it.

BTW, do the support ticket with ceton before going to SD as they both are fine products, each with a few issues to hammer out.

post #10 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You need to activate it to pair the CableCARD with the tuner and possible the tuner to the Tuning Adapter if you have one.
You may need to reset PlayReady too.
This may make copy protected recordings un-watchable.
My HDHR Prime has been very stable but I only have one TV connected at a time usually.

PlayReady/DRM is tied to the PC, not to the cablecard device.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Once a week? Why don't you just turn it off at night?
post #12 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

Once a week? Why don't you just turn it off at night?

Wouldn't that be akin to unplugging a cable box or a tivo? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. The HTPC with DVR ability is supposed to be an appliance that is on always and can work in the background? How else could you go to bed at a decent hour and record something on late?

Not all of us stay up past midnight. If my wife would let me, I'd be asleep by 8:30 every night. I still hit the sack at 10PM at the latest as it is, and plenty of shows come on at that time.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Eric,
I'm running the latest firmware and drivers that are made available through your s/w utility. I'm at work right now so I can't check the versions. Not running any beta drivers if that's what you are asking. I haven't opened any support tickets at this point.

Please open a support ticket with us so that we have an opportunity to resolve your issue
Sammy2 likes this.

post #14 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. Although I have an HDHR Prime and it works well in my situation, there's no reason I can see to swap from the InfiniTV4 to the Prime before getting support from the manufacturer.

post #15 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 14
I'm sure the OP has tried this but just in case...do a clean install of WMC7 from scratch and reset everything up. It does wonders. When I first got my Ceton (PCIe) I just added it to my OTA only setup. From the time the cable tech left the house I had serious reliability issues that I never experienced before with OTA only. It was time for a system "Roto-Rooter" anyway so after a month or so of bad juju I reloaded everything. When it came back up fresh from the clean install everything has been gravy again. No losing Playready every night. No funny TA problems. The only thing that remains is that prior to installing Ceton I would leave my system on 24/7 and only turn the monitor/TV off at night - computer would run screensaver when no one was watching. For some reason installing Ceton has caused an EDID issue with my monitor that I can't get rid of. If I leave 7MC running and the monitor is off for a period of time it comes back to black screen. I have to exit 7MC and reopen. Then it seems 7/10 times I have to re-update playready. So now I just close out of 7MC at end of each use and leave the system at the desktop. Still no sleeping but it does come back to 7MC and all is working when I go to next use. So again, if you added your Ceton card on without a fresh install I do recommend it for reliability sake.

EZed
post #16 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post

Wouldn't that be akin to unplugging a cable box or a tivo? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. The HTPC with DVR ability is supposed to be an appliance that is on always and can work in the background? How else could you go to bed at a decent hour and record something on late?
Not all of us stay up past midnight. If my wife would let me, I'd be asleep by 8:30 every night. I still hit the sack at 10PM at the latest as it is, and plenty of shows come on at that time.

You of course leave it on if you want it to record. It's a computer - it uses juice. I always try to turn all my boxes off at night. The cable boxes have an energy efficient standby mode. If the ceton can pull the computer out of standby to record, then great. That should solve the heat problem.
post #17 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post

I'm sure the OP has tried this but just in case...do a clean install of WMC7 from scratch and reset everything up. It does wonders. When I first got my Ceton (PCIe) I just added it to my OTA only setup. From the time the cable tech left the house I had serious reliability issues that I never experienced before with OTA only. It was time for a system "Roto-Rooter" anyway so after a month or so of bad juju I reloaded everything. When it came back up fresh from the clean install everything has been gravy again. No losing Playready every night. No funny TA problems. The only thing that remains is that prior to installing Ceton I would leave my system on 24/7 and only turn the monitor/TV off at night - computer would run screensaver when no one was watching. For some reason installing Ceton has caused an EDID issue with my monitor that I can't get rid of. If I leave 7MC running and the monitor is off for a period of time it comes back to black screen. I have to exit 7MC and reopen. Then it seems 7/10 times I have to re-update playready. So now I just close out of 7MC at end of each use and leave the system at the desktop. Still no sleeping but it does come back to 7MC and all is working when I go to next use. So again, if you added your Ceton card on without a fresh install I do recommend it for reliability sake.

I had a similar issue going from an OTA tuner card to the Prime.

Resetting PlayReady and not setting the display settings to automatic was all that was required to clear it up.

post #18 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

I actually have a weekly reboot scheduled on my PC for my HDHomerun. It has its fair share of problems too. And once you find a firmware that works, save and backup those files because they only leave the most recent version up and there's no rollbacks.

I have never had to restart it once in the approx 1.5 years of service. installed a beta back in the day I first installed it immediately throwing the cable box out of the door (and later returning it to twc). After seeing this post just updated to latest beta.
post #19 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I had a similar issue going from an OTA tuner card to the Prime.
Resetting PlayReady and not setting the display settings to automatic was all that was required to clear it up.

It wasn't that simple and easy for me. I had to almost daily reset playready because for what ever reason, whether it was EDID issue or driver/registry issue I never found out. I tried all kinds of suggested fixes and none worked. There was at least one if not multiple issues everyday. I usually rebuild my systems at least once a year anyway just to clean the crud out. Since that everything is back to how it was with OTA only except for the black screen issue after non-use and monitor/TV off. But the macro on the Harmony remote is now set to close out of 7MC after each use and re-open it upon startup. Same macro turns on/off monitor/TV and AVR, so I'm all good now.

EZed
post #20 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC. It's a nice piece of gear. Sits well in my AV rack. I have it connected to a 2011 Mac mini running bootcamp. It's very stable and reliable as of late. The 20120405 official release is very good near perfect. I updated to all the in between betas and suffered a bit, but I'm back on 20120802 beta1 and it's stable. Note that SD released a new beta on the 20th and I can't comment on it. I started waiting a week or so before jumping on the latest beta. I also have a weekly restart of the HTPC which triggers a restart of the Primes on startup. This is mainly because WMC's built-in optimize was messing up my system. I upgraded from one 3CC to two 3CCs and then again to a 6CC. I never once lost PlayReady or recordings. I even went between 16GB and 8GB of faster RAM, and upgraded my OS from a 240GB OCZ Vetex 3 MAX IOPS to a 512GB Samsung 830. layReady was still fine.
post #21 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried an HDMI extender/repeater in between your HTPC and AVR? Monoprice has them for $13. And then there's the Gefen DMI Detective for $100 or so. Another thing that worked for me is to not have the display set to automatic in your display driver as it will keep reseting the EDID which messes with the HDCP.

post #22 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Installing a HDHomeRun Prime to replace an InfiniTV4 only requires re-running TV signal setup in WMC. Your existing recordings should still play fine as long as you're using the same PC they were recorded on. You shouldn't need to do anything with regards to PlayReady. I've been running both an InfiniTV4 (PCI-e version) and a HDHomeRun Prime for quite some time and have no problems with either of them. I've never had to reboot my HDHR Prime since I installed it last year. I would recommend replacing the USB version of the InfiniTV4 with the internal PCI-e model if you have an available slot. I've got one of the original models as well as the newer version installed in my HTPC and never had any heat issues.
post #23 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I agree. Although I have an HDHR Prime and it works well in my situation, there's no reason I can see to swap from the InfiniTV4 to the Prime before getting support from the manufacturer.

And as someone who had some issues with his Ceton before, I can attest that they will work very hard to fix it. I was uber impressed with their customer service.

For the record, my issue was with my tuners losing their 'binding' (if that is the correct word) and having to go through setup again every few days. Ultimately the issue seemed to be with having shared one tuner to another PC and and a bad router.
post #24 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Only channels set as 'copy once' would even have playback issues to begin with. All 'copy freely' programs can be played from any PC and edited (such as cutting out commercials). For most cable networks, only premium channels are 'copy once' (HBO, Showtime, etc).
post #25 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You of course leave it on if you want it to record. It's a computer - it uses juice. I always try to turn all my boxes off at night. The cable boxes have an energy efficient standby mode. If the ceton can pull the computer out of standby to record, then great. That should solve the heat problem.

I have the Ceton in my HTPC and I just put it to sleep when I'm not using it. It wakes up to do any recordings and then goes back to sleep when it's done.

I did initially have some issues with this approach but the latest Ceton beta firmware resolved my issues.

My cable boxes (Motorola DVR) used the same amount of energy whether it was on or "off". That's because it's always recording.

I need to do some Kill-a-watt measurements for my HTPC to see what it's using and how it compares with the cable box.
post #26 of 34 Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM

I'm having trouble getting the ceton to work with my network which doesn't have a DHCP server. How easy does the Prime share tuners over a network?
post #27 of 34 Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I'm having trouble getting the ceton to work with my network which doesn't have a DHCP server. How easy does the Prime share tuners over a network?

The HDHomeRun Prime is a network appliance by design. Therefore, it is very well suited for sharing tuners. Network issues typically manifest themselves as pixelation. Troubleshooting would then focus on switches, cables, router settings, NIC, etc. The current official release 20120405 or 20120823beta1 firmware/software are very stable. You can near guarantee flawless setup by using Intel NICs and unmanaged gigabit switch.
post #28 of 34 Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The HDHomeRun Prime is a network appliance by design. Therefore, it is very well suited for sharing tuners. Network issues typically manifest themselves as pixelation. Troubleshooting would then focus on switches, cables, router settings, NIC, etc. The current official release 20120405 or 20120823beta1 firmware/software are very stable. You can near guarantee flawless setup by using Intel NICs and unmanaged gigabit switch.

My understanding is the HDHR Prime requires a DHCP server, so it will not work at all in the configuration mentioned

post #29 of 34 Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Prime does not allow setting of static IP. So, if you don't have a DHCP server, sharing is out of question.

However, Prime does work if you connect direct to a PC's NIC in which case both the NIC and Prime will obtain a random auto-IP. But auto-IP does have its own issues especially when your PC sleeps and wakes up a lot.
post #30 of 34 Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quit making things difficult and have a DHCP server. There's no reason you should explicitly be trying to not have one in 2012.
Reply Home Theater Computers