Should I partition my 3TB HD (also have 128GB SSD for OS) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I’m building my HTPC this weekend, if all the parts come in anyway, and was wondering if you think there would be any need to partition the 3TB HD. I plan on using the system mainly as a HD DVR, but may throw a mp3’s and pics on it.

- - Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All you need are folders.

1 partition with folders to separate your data.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you're not using a separate drive (such as an SSD) for the OS and programs, creating a 100gb or so partition for the OS and programs can certainly make backing up and restoring the OS a lot easier.

Although I cannot urge you enough to add a 60-128GB SSD to your build for the OS and programs. You will be so glad you did.

Also, this assumes you have a EFI/UEFI BIOS motherboard and are using 64 bit Windows. If not, you can't boot from a 3TB partition (and IIRC the max is 2.19GB).

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed in the subject line that you have an SSD for the OS and programs. Good decision. As a data drive there's no reason to make more than one partiton on your hard disk.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks so besides the OS on the SSD you recommend putting most of my other programs on it as well? And try to keep mostly media files on the large HD? How much free space should I leave on the SSD though?

KT
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All applications should be on ssd. You can fill ssd to max. It reserves and makes unavailable to OS the necessary space needed for trim, etc.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Put all your programs on your SSD, all your data and media on your hard disk.

Make sure that with programs like iTunes that you set it up for the media files to be on the hard disk, because by default they will be stored on the same disk as the program.

I can't imagine you will ever have anything close to 100GB of programs and OS on your SSD. A big reason for going with the 120/128 is so that you never need to pick and choose, or worry about what you're putting on it.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2 drives in a basic HTPC...no reason to divide ANY of those drives up. SSD for OS and software, HDD for recordings/music/pictures/etc...then for my taste, instead of setting non-default save locations etc, i'd go into the console and create junctions for my videos, my pictures, etc. There are several how-to's on the net if you arent familiar with using command line interface. On a more general use machine with several profiles (ie family computer) i'd create a junction and move the entire user directory off the SSD, but for a single user purpose built machine like HTPC, it's better to do just a handfull of data folders (pics, videos, music) so that the appdata and other frequently accessed folders remain on the SSD to further enhance it's speed benefits.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
2 drives. No reason to ever partition a drive today that I can think of. I've done fine with an 80GB SSD, 320GB data drive and external (currently 4 TB) of media drives for the last 3 years. I'm pushing the limit on the SSD after installing a couple of games recently. I have a new 240 GB SSD sitting here about to get used, but 120/128 is really enough.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Yup your two drives are taking care of your partitioning. No need or benefit to partitioning the 3 TB.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

2 drives in a basic HTPC...no reason to divide ANY of those drives up. SSD for OS and software, HDD for recordings/music/pictures/etc...then for my taste, instead of setting non-default save locations etc, i'd go into the console and create junctions for my videos, my pictures, etc. There are several how-to's on the net if you arent familiar with using command line interface. On a more general use machine with several profiles (ie family computer) i'd create a junction and move the entire user directory off the SSD, but for a single user purpose built machine like HTPC, it's better to do just a handfull of data folders (pics, videos, music) so that the appdata and other frequently accessed folders remain on the SSD to further enhance it's speed benefits.

Yup, its good to move docs file to data drive but a pain in the ass.