Help installing MySQL and PHP on HTPC media server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got my media server up and running (albeit I am still having some issues getting decent transfer speeds) and would like to install MySQL and PHP onto the server so that I can start learning more about them. I don't really want to pay for any hosting that includes PHP and MySQL since I am mainly trying to use this as a learning experience and I have a server available. I'm running Windows Home Server 2011 and am having trouble figuring out on my own how to get everything properly installed and setup. I have no experience with any kind of server so a simple guide would be perfect, although any source of information that starts with the basics would be helpful. If anyone has such a guide I would really appreciate a link to it!

I believe I saw somewhere that it is not uncommon for people to run multiple things on their media server (such as web development tools), but to be safe I will ask again. Is there a reason why I should avoid using my media server to run PHP and MySQL? The server has 4 GB of RAM and a i3 2100 processor so, from my understanding, should not terribly trained by serving media files and running PHP / MySQL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 15
If it is truly a sever there is no reason for not running other standard web services unless you expect a large ammount of web trafic and the same server is also trying to transcode your media files, usually for home use, I don't see this happening. I'm sure someone who is more familar with WHS 2011 will reply soon as its been awhile since I used it on my network as I tend to use linux for my servers. I believe WHS has IIS already installed and you will follow intructions for setting up php and mysql for IIS but If I remember correctly (but this may only be from prior to the 2011 version) generally they are installed on the "d:" drive and/or many references to c:\whatever need to be changed appropriately. I'll see if I can dig it up but there was an article about getting worpress on WHS which was quite informative you may wish to serach for such article, I believe wegotserved has one that also recommended a book for all of WHS 2011

Most searches for help in configuring PHP/mysql will probably be geared towards "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and little but some changes are necessary when going to "WAMP" as there are subtle differences between linux and windows. In your case you may need to refine your searches to "WIMP"

Is this a learning experience to learn php/mysql or to learn installing/administering them if its just the former, I usually reccommend using something like MOWES portable to start out.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you tried using PHP+MySQL packages (e.g. XAMPP, WampServer, EasyPHP, Uniform Server, etc)? That's easiest when you're just starting out. Most are set-up for development use, though, so would suggest limiting access to just your local network.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

If it is truly a sever there is no reason for not running other standard web services unless you expect a large ammount of web trafic and the same server is also trying to transcode your media files, usually for home use, I don't see this happening. I'm sure someone who is more familar with WHS 2011 will reply soon as its been awhile since I used it on my network as I tend to use linux for my servers. I believe WHS has IIS already installed and you will follow intructions for setting up php and mysql for IIS but If I remember correctly (but this may only be from prior to the 2011 version) generally they are installed on the "d:" drive and/or many references to c:\whatever need to be changed appropriately. I'll see if I can dig it up but there was an article about getting worpress on WHS which was quite informative you may wish to serach for such article, I believe wegotserved has one that also recommended a book for all of WHS 2011
Most searches for help in configuring PHP/mysql will probably be geared towards "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and little but some changes are necessary when going to "WAMP" as there are subtle differences between linux and windows. In your case you may need to refine your searches to "WIMP"
Is this a learning experience to learn php/mysql or to learn installing/administering them if its just the former, I usually reccommend using something like MOWES portable to start out.

Awesome! Thanks for your help. I didn't know any of those acronyms and already it is helping me find more relevant information than I could before. The main goal is to learn PHP/MySQL although I am interested in learning more about managing a server as well. I just graduated as an electrical engineer and have some time off before starting a new job so I am trying to learn some new things. I have a little time to research the topic so I will probably see what I can dig up by googling various things relating to WIMP, WAMP, and MoWeS.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page