Frame Rate - WMC vs MPC-HC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was curious about frame rates with my HTPC, a G620 CPU using integrated graphics connected to a 720p HDTV while watching some HD OTA recordings. I am not using reclock, MadVR or any other add-ons or codecs. Just WMC7 and MPC-HC.

Using WMC7 > 4-1-1-Info, most programs I looked at were 59.9401 fps. One program was 29.97 fps. I did not notice any flickering back & forth between these rates with any programs.

Using MPC-HC > ctrl+j, the frame rate stays at 30.001 for maybe 15 seconds. At that time the Green line has decreased & touches the Red line causing a spike & a frame rate change to 29.882 for about 5 seconds. Dropped frames were 0 for the few minutes I was checking each program.

I’m presuming the roughly 15 seconds at 30.001 fps and the 5 seconds at 29.882 fps average out to 29.97 fps. However the frames drawn seemed to always increment by 30 or 31, and it looked like this data refreshed every second. But to average out to 29.97 there should be some data showing 29 frames drawn per second. Either the 30 & 31 is an approximation, or what appears to be 1 second intervals is not. Any suggestions on how to interpret the frames drawn data?

In addition, the 29.97 fps program mentioned earlier typically shows 24.001 and 23.925 fps frame rates in MPC-HC. If I advance the program’s time too much by clicking on the “Seek Bar”, MPC-HC stops working & I have to close it out.

If looking at WMC7 everything appears perfect because it displays only one frame rate. But if going by MPC-HC then I never have a perfect rate, it’s either too fast or too slow. Is it safe to presume that MPC-HC is displaying the correct rates?

Does WMC7 just assume 59.9401 fps for any frame rate that’s close to that?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page