theTVDB May Shut Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
due to high server costs. They need $1000 per month so they need to find a way to monotize it.

http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10858

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'd be willing to pay $1/month to use it and I'm sure there are 1000 other people who feel the same.

post #3 of 24 Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I want to know where they plan on getting >220Mbps/41TB for 500-1000 /month
post #4 of 24 Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think IMDb was successful in monetizing their operation.. So successful that amazon picked them up. IDK if a database of TV shows would be of interest to amazon or another large etailer but they need to find a way to be ad supported I think.

post #5 of 24 Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I think IMDb was successful in monetizing their operation.. So successful that amazon picked them up. IDK if a database of TV shows would be of interest to amazon or another large etailer but they need to find a way to be ad supported I think.

Since IMDb now covers TV shows, I'm not sure there is enough of a market if ads alone can't support it.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How does themoviedb.org finance its operation? Maybe thetvdb could merge with it? Should save them both money if they can pool their resources.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

I'd be willing to pay $1/month to use it and I'm sure there are 1000 other people who feel the same.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

+1

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #9 of 24 Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Since IMDb now covers TV shows, I'm not sure there is enough of a market if ads alone can't support it.

Do they charge for scrapers to collect data from them? MediaCenterMaster has IMDb as a scraper and it is free but maybe the paid version covers a small IMDb subscription cost?

post #10 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I'd give them $15 a year.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've no problems paying a small fee but this is unsustainable/unaffordable for many. What they should do is approach Amazon/Google etc for support - the costs required (lets say $15k/year) are not even a rounding error in the budget of any big company. In return, thetvdb can add 'powered by Google/Amazon' to its logo etc which is more than enough.

Adding ads to the site probably won't work too well because I'd guess the vast majority of hits are via the API, and people rarely visit the site, unlike Imdb.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Do you have a source for this information?

I went to the site and saw no notice. When I perused the forums, I stumbled on this thread:

http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6590&sid=0032847e34a5bd50fa1a347b790480e2

Doesn't make me want to really support them with the attitude displayed by the mods, but given there aren't many choices, if they decide to enforce a subscription model, the small fee would justify the convenience.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
See here http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10858 post #6 - they haven't made an official announcement - yet.

Don't be put off by the thread you linked to - this has been brought to the fore as the result of numerous 'debates' on the numbering and content display of various problematic 'shows'. Users who don't want, agree, or who want to follow there own convention and to hell with others, who do follow the site rules - are being bitchy. Look beyond that.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yeah, it sounds like they are worry about being able to afford their monthly Internet bill. Im sure if it is at all feasible to do, they will offer a subscription service instead of just shutting down. Im hoping they can arrange a smooth transition though to a paid service without downtime.

It looks like they need to replace their forum moderators though. I think that their forum can definitely benefit from having moderators with a bit more class. Some of you who have been here long enough to remember when I was the Moderator over here (HTPC AVS Forum) back in 2001-2002. One of the most important rules a moderator needs to follow is NOT to provoke the forum members. Nothing good can come out of that. Also, disagreements between problematic users and moderators should be handled privately; not for everyone to see. Having said that, I can look passed their forum moderators when/if I need to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Yeah, it sounds like they are worry about being able to afford their monthly Internet bill. Im sure if it is at all feasible to do, they will offer a subscription service instead of just shutting down. Im hoping they can arrange a smooth transition though to a paid service without downtime.
It looks like they need to replace their forum moderators though. I think that their forum can definitely benefit from having moderators with a bit more class. Some of you who have been here long enough to remember when I was the Moderator over here (HTPC AVS Forum) back in 2001-2002. One of the most important rules a moderator needs to follow is NOT to provoke the forum members. Nothing good can come out of that. Also, disagreements between problematic users and moderators should be handled privately; not for everyone to see. Having said that, I can look passed their forum moderators when/if I need to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Agree 100%.

Unlike some, I am not of the opinion that the customer is always right (in most cases they are not), but there are ways to deal with people without alienating. You can't please everyone, but if you don't sink to the level of the lowest common denominator then nobody can speak ill of you. The responses in that TVDB thread may appear warranted by some people depending on what side of the fence they are on, but to the outsiders looking in, it definitely does not look good for the mods. Not only are they instigating many of the exchanges involving foul language and a complete lack of manners, but they are all banding together to put down anyone who is inclined to disagree. It undoes all that hard work they do. I can look past the undesirables and weigh up the good vs the bad, but most people don't have the time or inclination and will base their views on first impressions - be it first hand or otherwise.

AVS has changed over the years and whilst it is still the premiere resource for all things home theatre related, it was quite something else a while back. We had a lot of participation from industry experts. It was just unfortunate that there were a lot of people who could not see past their own egos and drove many of these valued contributors away. In this instance, I'd have supported a heavier handed level of moderation.

This is getting a bit off topic, but I do wonder should theTVDB shut down, would another contender come around to fill in the gap.
Sup4Me likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

One of the most important rules a moderator needs to follow is NOT to provoke the forum members. Nothing good can come out of that. Also, disagreements between problematic users and moderators should be handled privately; not for everyone to see. Having said that, I can look passed their forum moderators when/if I need to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Totally agree. I am the moderator for the new HTPC forum over at Anandtech and this is my approach as well. Much different to what I post and say here at AVS, fwiw.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im sure many of us using xbmc, or media browser or whatever use the tvdb, i think its very important users are alerted to the fact they are in serious trouble.

They are accepting donations to keep going. Im sure they are also open to other ideas. Some have stepped up to help with hosting.

http://www.thetvdb.com/donate/

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139076
post #18 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Great points being brought up, interesting ideas as well.

All i know is switching to imdb as a scrapper is not very ideal for high quality artwork.

Beyond that I agree with most of the comments. I simply brought it because I know many users on here like myself use it.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I've no problems paying a small fee but this is unsustainable/unaffordable for many. What they should do is approach Amazon/Google etc for support - the costs required (lets say $15k/year) are not even a rounding error in the budget of any big company. In return, thetvdb can add 'powered by Google/Amazon' to its logo etc which is more than enough.
Adding ads to the site probably won't work too well because I'd guess the vast majority of hits are via the API, and people rarely visit the site, unlike Imdb.
Seriously - if $1 a month is unsustainable for a resource second to none - then they really need to consider another hobby. eek.gif
post #20 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Seriously - if $1 a month is unsustainable for a resource second to none - then they really need to consider another hobby. eek.gif

I guess I'm confused, because theTVDB is not the only such resource here. IMDB now has TV shows. There is also TVRage. If we had only one option, and they could not sustain operations without charging a monthly fee, then I'd absolutely be fine with paying it. But IMDB has a working model here that doesn't require donations/subscriptions to keep going. TVRage seems to be doing alright as well.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Don't be - have you tried either of the other sources? Just curious.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Don't be - have you tried either of the other sources? Just curious.

For metadata purposes, yes I have, and had no issues.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not come across the the same amount of high quality art on imdb as tmdb.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

For metadata purposes, yes I have, and had no issues.

Undoubtedly, but images?. which I would assume are what most users wish to complement the metadata and provide the 'eye-candy'.
Reply Home Theater Computers