Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

Gaitkeeper - The Drobo you speak of is a 4HD array that has either a firewire or USB 2.0 conection - is that enough speed to stream a 1080p Blu Ray? or would stepping up to the 5 drive array be better (has Esata port)
Toys

I'll let you know as soon as I get one:D
Also, as for viewing, I meant are you using any third party software to go with WMC? If not, I would like to recommend MediaBrowser. It is the single most awesome thing EVER for viewing movies on WMC. Best part is, it's free. There are add-ons (which you will inevitably want), but the costs are nominal. Web site is mediabrowser.tv Go there now and enjoy! cool.gif

Taylor'd Theater

I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
gaitkeeper - yes, mediabrowser is my choice as well. I was hooked on it ever since I went through Assassin's guides on how to get it to work for you........looks freakin' awesome to boot!!

Where is my case? I need to build this thing!!!

oh yeah, not coming 'til Tuesday (goes to fridge, pulls out another beer)......sigh........

Toys

My Gear
post #183 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

gaitkeeper - yes, mediabrowser is my choice as well. I was hooked on it ever since I went through Assassin's guides on how to get it to work for you........looks freakin' awesome to boot!!
Where is my case? I need to build this thing!!!
oh yeah, not coming 'til Tuesday (goes to fridge, pulls out another beer)......sigh........
Toys

You can set everything up outside the case. Even set up all the software. Then break it all down and put it in the case when you get it. Just build it on a non-conductive surface like a wooden table or large cutting board.
post #184 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

The one advantage of WIndows 8 may be Storage Space...

I can't believe this thread drug on as long as it did before someone brought this up.

Oh - hardware OR software, RAID 5 is pretty brain dead - and has been for a while; especially with the larger hard drives I assume you would be using to hold movies. See: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162

And drives are even bigger than when that came out in 2009. RAID6 is marginally better. I've started deploying RAID 10 - and I'm much happier. No stupid parity calculations, massive striping and much quicker recovery. Even a four disk two mirror set with striping across it is lovely - each additional mirror set ups the performance ante even more. I haven't played much with the new Windows storage spaces, but I just downloaded the Release Candidate for Windows Server 2012 Essentials (just when you thought MS couldn't come up with lamer names, they do!) and I have a few old hard drives lying around - time to play!
post #185 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OC]Pik4chu View Post

In answer to a very early question, no I do not know of any hardware raid that will let you add a drive to an array and have it somehow copy the data that was on the drive into the array at the same time. All cards Ive ever used always wipe the drive to add it to the array. That being said while I can see on paper how that would be handy. I have never once encountered a time where I thought "I wish I could add this drive and all it's data to the RAID at the same time", but I'm sure someone has.

Drobo and a few of the NAS boxes will. Software RAID like unRAID will often let you expand. I personally like FlexRaid - it offers RAID and Storage pooling. One of the things I like about FlexRAID is you can schedule parity information to be calculated at set times - they call it snapshot RAID. So you can rip a bunch of movies, force a "Snapshot RAID" to calculate the parity information to give you hardware resiliency, but when your system is fairly stable - as it is most of the time, especially for movie only or movie heavy volumes - you don't have to waste effort with parity when you really can't afford it - say, streaming multiple movies to multiple devices.

I'm really excited with the new storage pooling in Windows 8 and Server 2012. I plan on putting it through the paces this weekend - it looks like it will negate much of what FlexRAID and UnRAID offered...
post #186 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I definitely concur with many of you who have suggested using a 128GB SSD for the OS and all applications. But given the recent significant price drop for 120GB - 128GB SSDs I would suggest instead looking into setting up a pair (2) matched 128GB SSDs in a 'RAID0' array.

Newegg and TigerDirect both had 128GB OCZ Agility SATA3 SSDs on sale earlier this week for $59.99 ea. (after mail-in rebate) with free shipping. Model: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Final price for a pair (2) matched 128GB SSDs in motherboard integrated 'RAID0' would be a mere $119.98, less than the cost of a single 128GB SSD just a few months ago.

[Caution: While operating SSDs in a 'RAID0' array it is advised NOT to drink instant coffee in close proximity to the PC or HTPC. The read / write speed of the SSD RAID array, coupled with the proximity of "instant" coffeee can theoretically cause temporal instability ( unplanned time travel ) and you may find yourself whisked back in time to the first day of your college final exams, for which you haven't studied and have no idea where the exams are being held!!!! eek.gif ]

Be aware that some older chipsets do not support "TRIM" in SSD RAID arrays (this won't be a problem with a new generation motherboard. For those wanting to use SSDs in a RAID array on older chipsets, just be sure to buy SSD models which have good trash collection firmware, so that they will not suffer from the absence of "TRIM."

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 DLS (x2) * Windows7(x64) * Xeon X3230 * 8gb PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A DLS * Windows7(x32) * Pentium D 960 * 4gb PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL2B Server * 'RAID-10' * AMD-A8-5500 * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
VAIO VGP-XL1B 200-Disc Changers (x2) * DVD/CD-RW
post #187 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Toys - Here is something to whittle your time away while waiting for your case. Custom movie intros (part of the aforementioned add-ons offered in MB) are really fun and a great way to add a personal touch to your Home Theater. You can do 3 of these in 1920x1080 for $15. Worth every penny. Go to ivipid.com
Make sure you buy the MediaBrowser Trailers & Custom Intros package plug-ins so one of these will play randomly before your movie starts. cool.gif

Taylor'd Theater

I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes!
post #188 of 216 Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Assassin, since you're still playing along...your thoughts on Drobo?

Taylor'd Theater

post #189 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Liked: 10
[quote
Newegg and TigerDirect both had 128GB OCZ Agility SATA3 SSDs on sale earlier this week for $59.99 ea. (after mail-in rebate) with free shipping. Model: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Final price for a pair (2) matched 128GB SSDs in motherboard integrated 'RAID0' would be a mere $119.98, less than the cost of a single 128GB SSD just a few months ago.

Cheers!
Robert.[/quote]

Arrgh!! Why couldn't you have posted this earlier... I went looking for these deals, but the prices are jacked back up now:mad: Oh well, I guess my build won't happen for a while unless somebody can steer me to some other good deals.

my equipment
post #190 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

Arrgh!! Why couldn't you have posted this earlier... I went looking for these deals, but the prices are jacked back up now:mad: Oh well, I guess my build won't happen for a while unless somebody can steer me to some other good deals.

Hi shreddir,

If you are not already signed up, go to the Newegg website and register your email address for their daily "ShellShocker" specials. You can also submit price alerts for individual products, and get an email message when that product is on special sale or a rebate is offered.

TigerDirect has similar email offerings.

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 DLS (x2) * Windows7(x64) * Xeon X3230 * 8gb PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A DLS * Windows7(x32) * Pentium D 960 * 4gb PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL2B Server * 'RAID-10' * AMD-A8-5500 * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
post #191 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

Also, you should periodically check slickdeals.net home page. I see SSD's show up on their quite often.

In fact, there's one on there right now for $55 (128G)

Taylor'd Theater

post #192 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM

I think your power supply is a little under spec'd. I'm just guessing but with the various suggestions people have made and what you originally listed, you should be thinking in the range of 500W or 550W rather than 380W. 380W is pretty close to the edge if not under what you'd need.

You can calculate what you need with this free online tool. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

A power supply with "Active Power Factor Correction - AFPC" is also desireable if you live in an area subject to power fluctuations (and that's pretty much everywhere). A PS with APFC might cost 10 bucks more than one without. An explanation of what it is - here. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/faqpfc.html

An example of one is the Corsair TX 550W http://*******.com/8n9x3mo I'm not pimping for them smile.gif There are plenty of brands with PS's which have APFC, but lots of folks don't know to look for the feature.

Power fluctuations (and heat) are the two largest causes of those weird "It just crashed, I don't know why, but it works now." kind of errors.

Don't forget a UPS smile.gif

Good luck, hope this helps some.
post #193 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 15
Interesting how a HTPC questions becomes a RAID discussion.

HW wise. Looks sharp. The SSD comments are made..so 128GB it is.

Storage is the thing..I'll give you another, out of the box, thought. The best RAID for movies is called: Friends. They can keep an off site copy of your movie library for you. Once in a while they check it for you, JUST to make sure. And you will return this favour to them. Keeps the costs down nicely. That way you can even have multiple off site backups.

So get an eSata or USB 3 HDD dock and use bare-bone drives. Give each HDD a number as name and keep them in a nice cool/dry place. Make a copy and hand it to the above mentioned friends.

All the movies you rip, you run through this SW http://www.antp.be/ . It will automatically download all relevant data, like album art etc. It will also store the name of the HDD with each movie. Nice clean list of what you have with all the bells and whistles you need to search, comment etc to each rip.

Usability.. run through this db to see what movie you want to watch. Grab the correct HDD off the shelf .. stick it in the dock and off you go.
When a HDD fails.. you will know what was on it. Go to your friends and retrieve the files you need.

For more vital data... Get a WHS2003 box and use it to do an automatic back up for you. Plug in the amount of drive you need and all done.

Simple does it.. And if you have the originals.. is it worth the hassle to invest in large and expensive raid solutions? Just use smaller HDD's.. You will most likely have some lying around. Treat a HDD well.. and it will not fail for a looooong time.

Anyhow.. I also realise we have some data junkies on this forum..in that case.. I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I told you at the beginning it is an out of the box thought.... biggrin.gif
colohtpc likes this.
post #194 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Just googled "friends", appears I don't have any smile.gif
post #195 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post

I think your power supply is a little under spec'd. I'm just guessing but with the various suggestions people have made and what you originally listed, you should be thinking in the range of 500W or 550W rather than 380W. 380W is pretty close to the edge if not under what you'd need.
You can calculate what you need with this free online tool. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
A power supply with "Active Power Factor Correction - AFPC" is also desireable if you live in an area subject to power fluctuations (and that's pretty much everywhere). A PS with APFC might cost 10 bucks more than one without. An explanation of what it is - here. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/faqpfc.html
An example of one is the Corsair TX 550W http://*******.com/8n9x3mo I'm not pimping for them smile.gif There are plenty of brands with PS's which have APFC, but lots of folks don't know to look for the feature.
Power fluctuations (and heat) are the two largest causes of those weird "It just crashed, I don't know why, but it works now." kind of errors.
Don't forget a UPS smile.gif
Good luck, hope this helps some.

That's not correct.

Do a google search for my Kill-A-Watt usage thread here at AVS and you can see how much wattage modern day HTPCs use. Mine uses under 40w.
post #196 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM

The important, but often overlooked, input on that calculator is System Load. What ever load is put in assumes everything in the system is running at that load at the same time. That is all memory, disks, video chips, north bridge, south bridge PCI buses, network chips etc. When we do real world tests of severs the typical load is about 25% of power the calculator number. These are servers running Vmware. If I was doing it I'd pick 50% to give some head room, for data centers we typically use 80% just to be extra safe. That's why Assassin is only pulling 40 watts.
post #197 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Dodo View Post

>>>... Storage is the thing..I'll give you another, out of the box, thought. The best RAID for movies is called: Friends. They can keep an off site copy of your movie library for you. Once in a while they check it for you, JUST to make sure. And you will return this favour to them. Keeps the costs down nicely. That way you can even have multiple off site backups....<<<<br />
>>>... Simple does it.. And if you have the originals.. is it worth the hassle to invest in large and expensive raid solutions? Just use smaller HDD's.. You will most likely have some lying around. Treat a HDD well.. and it will not fail for a looooong time.
Anyhow.. I also realise we have some data junkies on this forum..in that case.. I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I told you at the beginning it is an out of the box thought.... biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by swin70 View Post

Just googled "friends", appears I don't have any smile.gif

REPLY: HA! You two are a hoot. smile.gif

Ah yes, storage. For those of us who are financially and friends "challenged", who wish to take an alternative path from an expensive NAS solution or even building a home server, there is another somewhat less trodden path which has so far 'served' me well (pun intended), at a relatively modest investment.

*I populated one expansion slot in my HTPC with a Rosewill RC-209-EX eSATA / SATA RAID controller. It provides two (2) eSATA ports and four (4) SATA ports for internal use [any combination of four (4) eSATA / SATA ports using jumpers].

*I purchased two (2) SansDigital TOWERRAID TR4M-BNC enclosures (Rosewill also makes/rebrands these boxes) which support four (4) 2TB HDDs each, and "port-multiplier" (as noted above I had selected my own RAID controller card, so I saved money buying the SansDigitral enclosures with no controller card packaged in the box).
NOTE: These boxes do not support HDDs larger than 2TB. This was not a consideration for me given the somewhat higher failure rate of HDDs over 2TB capacity, worth avoiding.
ALSO NOTE: SansDigital and other manufacturers also make boxes which hold more than four (4) HDDs. I chose the 4-disk model because the height of that model fits nicely on the shelf of my entertainment center alongside my HTPC and HiFi components.

*I started with two (2) 2TB HDDs in each box and selected concatenated 'JBOD' mode (Just a Bunch Of Disks) for each box rather than running them in a conventional mirrored or parity RAID array. My system sees one large storage drive which I "synch" backup weekly -- or more often if I have added a lot of media files -- to the identically configured second box.
You can begin with a single 2TB HDD in each box, of course, and just add hard disks as needed, or when you find a great deal. biggrin.gif But you will need two (2) or more hard disks in each box before you are able to initialize 'JBOD' concatenation with the controller card.

*As I need additional storage I will add another 2TB HDD to each box; up to a total four (4) 2TB HDDs in each box (8TB; about 7.25TB usable.
Formatted 2TB HDDs have a formatted capacity of approx. 1.81TB (or 1810GB). Each HDD therefore has the storage capacity of approx. +/- 425 movies ripped in DVD quality; or thousands if ripped to Xvid or .mkv formats.

My ULTIMATE backup, however, is that I burn backup copies of all of my movies onto DVD media (costs about 20-cents per DVD) and store them in 100 disk albums. In the event of a catastrophic hardware failure, and loss of the "synced' backup too, I can always rebuild from the ripped copies on DVD.

NOTE: This seemed like a HUGE endeavor going in, but in actuality I tackled it on a "go forward" basis, adding a few movies each week. I spent perhaps just 2-3 hours per week on the effort and had everything completed in just a few months (meaning I had my entire media collection, DVDs, Blurays, Music CDs, everything on HDDs accessible from every TV in my house with no hardwired network, just WiFi).

it was actually quite painless to build my entire media collection on hard disks, fully accessible from my main (always on) HTPC with Windows Media Center and Media Browser -- and access to the same media from other rooms with streaming extenders (in my case Sony WiFi Streaming Players) at two other HDTVs

Cheers!
Robert.

post #198 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

That's not correct.
Do a google search for my Kill-A-Watt usage thread here at AVS and you can see how much wattage modern day HTPCs use. Mine uses under 40w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparker151 View Post

The important, but often overlooked, input on that calculator is System Load. What ever load is put in assumes everything in the system is running at that load at the same time. That is all memory, disks, video chips, north bridge, south bridge PCI buses, network chips etc. When we do real world tests of severs the typical load is about 25% of power the calculator number. These are servers running Vmware. If I was doing it I'd pick 50% to give some head room, for data centers we typically use 80% just to be extra safe. That's why Assassin is only pulling 40 watts.

REPLY: I concur. For a modern, state of the art HTPC with modern processor, you should be able to manage nicely with that 380 watt power supply; or even just a 300 watt mATX or ITX power supply if one wishes to keep the HTPC box compact and low profile. In my now almost 6-year old Sony VGX-XL2 with a mere 297 watt power supply, the single greatest power hog in the box is the old Pentium D processor (95 watt).

You won't have that power demand in newest generation processors, video/graphics cards and "green" HDDs. And if you opt for SSDs for your OS Boot and Applications drive(s), and external independently powered HDD boxes for data storage, 300 watts-to-380 watts will provide you all of the "head room" you will ever need ... and then some. Power requirements for PC/HTPC components is coming down, not increasing. And keeping your power usage lower gives you more affordable options when choosing your UPS (arguably your most important system component).

Cheers!
Robert.

post #199 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Built my HTPC with a Silverstone GD03B. Bought from vendor in Rochester, NY area. Also found out they do not stock but have them drop shipped from CA. When finally arrived the SATA connections for the removable HD's were not installed. Contact vendor, told to go to Silverstone direct. Two weeks later get the connectors. Saga continued, went to buy some additonal HD caddies. NY vendor could not help, suggested going to Silverstone direct again. Well went to Silverstone about a year ago and sill waitng for a delivery date for the caddies. Long story be careful buying this GD03B from Silverstone, they do not seem to be able to support it. But to date have not had any other issues with it.
post #200 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlschoemer View Post

Long story be careful buying this GD03B from Silverstone, they do not seem to be able to support it. But to date have not had any other issues with it.

Speaking of Silverstone customer service, check this out...this was an email from me to SS Cust. Serv. back in May regarding the VFD screen and the fact that I couldn't get it to work:

This was their response:

This was the craziest **** I ever saw in an email. I don't know what the hell he was talking about. It turns out it was, in fact, shorting against the metal of the case itself and I had to do a little modifying to correct it. This is not to say that I don't like the case, I do. But DAYUM! Wi Ching Chong really needs to work on the grammar if he's gonna be helping people in America!

Taylor'd Theater

post #201 of 216 Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post

In return for his courtesy to you, you have referred to him as "Wi Ching Chong",... in a public forum.
Mr. Wu, if educated as an average ROC public schools student would be able to communicate with you in 3 or 4 major Chinese dialects, plus English, plus French and possibly also Russian.
So, how's your Mandarin, or your Taiwanese, or your Hakka?

Doesn't absolve him of the fact that he didn't even come close to answering my question, no matter what language he wrote it in. Besides, I suppose in his defense, he probably wrote it in Chinese and ran that % through a translator, which then mangled his response (as it did my question I'm sure) when he received it. Sorry for the slanderous name calling, there is no excuse for that.

Taylor'd Theater

post #202 of 216 Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Just wanted to hop in and thank assassin for this thread. It seems a little schizo at times - but convinced me to pull the trigger on FlexRaid over the weekend. Now I have 8tbs that are backed up with a single 3tb drive. Just noticed all the mentions of Media Browser so I'll have to give that a shot as well. Huge XBMC fan and now I love parity math too!
post #203 of 216 Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Where do you plan to store all your ripped movies? Not on one 2TB drive.
In 2006 I built a Core i7 HTPC with five 2TB drives (and four backup drives). Now, six years later I have more than 2500 movies and space is getting tight. In the future, I will probably change out four of the the 2TB drives for 3TB and change the OS drive to SSD. If you do install more than one drive, consider a higher wattage power supply (mine is 600W).
post #204 of 216 Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitkeeper View Post

Doesn't absolve him of the fact that he didn't even come close to answering my question, no matter what language he wrote it in. Besides, I suppose in his defense, he probably wrote it in Chinese and ran that % through a translator, which then mangled his response (as it did my question I'm sure) when he received it. Sorry for the slanderous name calling, there is no excuse for that.

Went ahead and ran this through Dialectizer using "Jive" translation:
1. Try t're-install de USB rollr uh moderbo'd. A'cuz de front panel funcshun keys wuz some kinds uh USB device. Sometimes de USB rollr gots'ta affect LC16 kin't wo'k co'rectly if it dun didn't be installed propuh'ly. Slap mah fro!

2. Try t'remove da damn iMON honky code completely, den, install it again wid de latest version. 'S coo', bro. You's kin waaay download it fum our website, dig dis: http://www, so cut me some slack, Jack.silverstone-usa. WORD!com and keep all settin' uh iMON wuz default. Man! Unda' default settin', de key uh Volume Waaay down gots no oda' funcshun likes jimmey any honky codes, it only kin adplum volume.

3. If yo' keybo'd gots multi-funcshun keys, try t'use oda' keybo'd widoud multi-funcshun keys. Maybe da damn Windows confused keybo'd and LC16M's front panel funcshun keys.
post #205 of 216 Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM

post #206 of 216 Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I would strongly advise AGAINST just this - and you already gave the reason. By and large TRIM does NOT work in RAID. I know intel has it working on the 520 now, but that is just trouble by and large. I bought a 240 GB Sandisk SSD for $154 (my first 80 GB one cost me $230, and second about 200, so I love the new "cheap" SSD prices). With SSD, it is now possible to afford to go bigger, but do NOT go RAID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post

I definitely concur with many of you who have suggested using a 128GB SSD for the OS and all applications. But given the recent significant price drop for 120GB - 128GB SSDs I would suggest instead looking into setting up a pair (2) matched 128GB SSDs in a 'RAID0' array.

[Caution: While operating SSDs in a 'RAID0' array it is advised NOT to drink instant coffee in close proximity to the PC or HTPC. The read / write speed of the SSD RAID array, coupled with the proximity of "instant" coffeee can theoretically cause temporal instability ( unplanned time travel ) and you may find yourself whisked back in time to the first day of your college final exams, for which you haven't studied and have no idea where the exams are being held!!!! eek.gif ]

Be aware that some older chipsets do not support "TRIM" in SSD RAID arrays (this won't be a problem with a new generation motherboard. For those wanting to use SSDs in a RAID array on older chipsets, just be sure to buy SSD models which have good trash collection firmware, so that they will not suffer from the absence of "TRIM."
Cheers!
Robert.

Now, your media storage setup sounds pretty neat.
post #207 of 216 Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman210 View Post

Where do you plan to store all your ripped movies? Not on one 2TB drive.
In 2006 I built a Core i7 HTPC with five 2TB drives (and four backup drives). Now, six years later I have more than 2500 movies and space is getting tight. In the future ...

This is not necessarily true that 2TB would be a bad idea. I understand your logic and it's reasonable for someone who is going to be putting a large amounts of media. But all of it really depends on how much media and quality (for file size)
Quote:

Basically I want this to do the following: Watch Live TV (Comcast cablecard) and DVR, rip current DVD and BluRay collection. ...
I am a HUGE audio/video phile so I want to make sure I can get the same video quality as my Sony ES5000 BluRay player and the same audio quality. ..
Quote:

... I like the idea of having a "true" backup as I have over 400 DVD's and over 100 Bluray's to rip. ... have researched and found that a DVD rip can be anywhere from 5-8 gigs of info. where as a BluRay can average 30-35 gigs. ...
Quote:

I actually ended up w/ 3 - 2tb drives for my rig (have lots of movies that I want to be on my network). ... My silverstone case can hold something like 7 or 8 hard drives in it bank.......

Above is all the relevant information I could find quickly while scanning thread regarding hard drives. I didn't include the RAID discussion. I think what he has purchased thus far, will suite his needs to start with. I would suggest using something like MakeMKV over ISO because he can just rip the movie instead of having all the menus and extras, which he may not watch more than once. It's also pretty fast. Plus, it's free; unlimted on DVD, and 30 days on Blu Rays without having to get a new beta key or buying. Plus, I find MKV to be easier to find a player for on more devices than an ISO. Not to knock ISO.

Off the top of my head, for his DVD and blu ray collection, I'm figuring he'll use around 850GB and 2700GB of storage, ie about 3.5TB.

Personally, I only have two drives that give me about 3.5TB, and I use maybe 2TB after a year and half of rippiing and downloading. I think I have something like 400 video files, and some I should delete since they suck. My DVR stuff is most watch and delete. Movies and TV shows are more to supplement various other VOD services. This may change depending on what ISPs do with their caps and if they want to do some tier system for pricing.
post #208 of 216 Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM

I built my own high end HTPC. I used the best audiophile components I could including a power supply with lowest ripple and noise. Today, I wouldn't bother building an HTPC. You can buy a home theater box - there are different makes and models available, some also with a bluray player. Many of these are running Linux with lots of Java. They are a lot cheaper and maintenance is much easier.

The general trends against HTPCs are:

1. Microsoft is in the midst of making many changes and that includes not supporting their media center as they used to. Future direction is not clear. Linux is trailing.
2. many TVs now have web enabled apps
3. Increasingly content is stored or accessed via the web / cloud
4. you can add hard drives for local storage using a cheaper box

If you still insist on building an HTPC, I would build a cheap and large server - placed in the basement e.g. and have a smaller PC connected to the TV which would drive the graphics and audio. Both to be connected by Cat 7 cable. The TV connected unit would be a passive fanless design using a flash drive. This will also make it cheaper and better for your audio. An external independently clocked USB DAC would be an absolute must - no need for an expensive sound card.

Good luck.
post #209 of 216 Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone interested in the large capacity media files storage I described above in post #197, the eSATA 4-disk boxes I described are on sale at Newegg. One change since I purchased my boxes is that they now support the larger 3TB HDDs. Raises the maximum supported capacity from 8TB to 12TB.

Sans Digital 4 Bay eSATA Port Multiplier JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure (no eSATA Card bundle) TR4M+BNC
Now supports 3TB Hard Drives

Was $109.99. Now $84.99 biggrin.gif
With Newegg "Price Cutter" promo code: EMCNANC26
+ FREE Shipping
Promo code expires at 11: 59: 59 Pacific Time Thursday Sept. 13, 2012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111177

Cheers!
Robert.

post #210 of 216 Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well my case showed up finally...................all I can say is WOW!! This thing is NICE!! I like it alot, definitely a GOOD purchase. Has plenty of expansion for me in the future, it can hold 8 - 3.5" HDD and 4 - 2.5" HDD all with vibration control. The front faceplate is elegant and clean looking. I also bought Silverstone's MFP51 front display for system info but more importantly, has IR receiver and came with a MCE remote.

Here are some pics...................enjoy! Have already started the build getting things inplace and wired. Look for more pics later on.........

Toys

My Gear
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page