WMC Home Server "TV Archive" - Need Help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm looking for some help with the home server tv archive application in windows media center.

when i try to click on the "Home Server TV Archive" application within WMC, i get an "Invalid Applicaiton. Unable to launch "TV Archive"" error.

i have a windows 7 pc running windows media center, and i just built a new home server with Window Home Server 2011 (also using Flexraid, not sure if it makes a difference with this issue).

help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm having the same problem frown.gif
post #3 of 15 Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you used the TV Archive feature previously? I ask because IMHO even when it works, it doesn't work smile.gif That is to say it offers very few controls to manage the archival process, and once items are moved the Keep Until settings are no longer in effect. These limitations made the TV Archive feaure useless to me. Instead I manually move the few items that I really want to keep forever and therefore store on my server.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

Have you used the TV Archive feature previously? I ask because IMHO even when it works, it doesn't work smile.gif That is to say it offers very few controls to manage the archival process, and once items are moved the Keep Until settings are no longer in effect. These limitations made the TV Archive feaure useless to me. Instead I manually move the few items that I really want to keep forever and therefore store on my server.

For how I use it, the TV Archive feature works perfectly fine. Program records - TV Archive moves File to my WHS11 box - Commercials get cut. That's all I need it for and it works flawlessly.

FWIW, I'm also having the same problem. Just started out of the blue a few days ago. The TV Archive plug-in in WMC reported that it was unable to move recordings due to permissions issues even though the destination has the required permissions. The Event Viewer gave a similar error. After messing around with it for a bit, I decided to uninstall and re-install the Connector Software. This might have been a mistake as it's now giving me the same error as the OP.

An update to the Connector Software was pushed out a few days ago. I wonder if that had something to do with it.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 AM

This thread fixed my problem. Looks like the latest Update rollup for WHS2011 might have broken something.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ShadoeOSU!!! That fixed my problem as well.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Glad to hear it!
post #8 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoeOSU View Post

This thread fixed my problem. Looks like the latest Update rollup for WHS2011 might have broken something.

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me edit the ehexthost.exe.config file. Windows won't let me grant full control to the administrator. I also tried opening notepad with administrative privileges and editing it, but that didn't work either. I get "access denied" when I try to save it.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Another option is to use a custom program called MCE File Mover.

Doesn't seem like the dev is offering this script any longer. He may have renamed it Media Center Recorded TV Space Manager.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

For how I use it, the TV Archive feature works perfectly fine. Program records - TV Archive moves File to my WHS11 box - Commercials get cut. That's all I need it for and it works flawlessly.

How are you cutting out the commercials?
post #11 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me edit the ehexthost.exe.config file. Windows won't let me grant full control to the administrator. I also tried opening notepad with administrative privileges and editing it, but that didn't work either. I get "access denied" when I try to save it.

I had to take ownership of the file, first, then give it the necessary privileges.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaysonE View Post

How are you cutting out the commercials?

I use a combination of MC-TVConverter (running on the WHS box) and DTBAddin (running on the HTPC). Details can be found here.

It isn't perfect but, it works often enough that the few times it makes a mistake are worth it. It's easy enough to disable the DTBAddin while watching a recording that I don't really mind when it misses one or cuts it a little early.

The best part is that it's automatic and (relatively) quick. MC-TVConverter monitors the shared folder and, once it sees a new .wtv file, it calls ffmpeg to convert it to .ts and then comskip to create a .xml file that contains the start and end times of any commercial breaks that it finds. DTBAddin reads that .xml file and automatically skips the commercials.

I also scheduled a script to run every night that cleans up any .ts files left behind by the conversion and any .xml files for recordings that have been deleted. It's all transparent to the HTPC.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had to take ownership of the file, first, then give it the necessary privileges.

Can you explain how you do this?
post #14 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Can you explain how you do this?

Sure.
  • Open Properties on the file and in the Security tab, click Advanced.
  • In the "Advanced Security Settings..." window, click the "Owner" tab.
  • Click the "Edit" button.
  • Select the account you wish to grant ownership of the file (Click OK on the Windows Security dialog, if it appears). The Current owner: box should be updated with the new owner.
  • Click OK. This should put you back at the Security tab.
  • Click the Edit button and Add the user account that was just granted ownership of the file and give it Full control (click Yes on the Windows Security dialog, if it appears).
  • Click OK to close the properties page.

That should do it.

A couple of caveats:
I am assuming you are using an account on your machine that has Administrator privileges. Also, I have no idea if changing the ownership of these files could have repercussions later on if Microsoft decides to push out an official update that resolves this problem. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but, who knows?

HTH.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure.
  • Open Properties on the file and in the Security tab, click Advanced.
  • In the "Advanced Security Settings..." window, click the "Owner" tab.
  • Click the "Edit" button.
  • Select the account you wish to grant ownership of the file (Click OK on the Windows Security dialog, if it appears). The Current owner: box should be updated with the new owner.
  • Click OK. This should put you back at the Security tab.
  • Click the Edit button and Add the user account that was just granted ownership of the file and give it Full control (click Yes on the Windows Security dialog, if it appears).
  • Click OK to close the properties page.
That should do it.
A couple of caveats:
I am assuming you are using an account on your machine that has Administrator privileges. Also, I have no idea if changing the ownership of these files could have repercussions later on if Microsoft decides to push out an official update that resolves this problem. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but, who knows?
HTH.

Thank you very much! I'm actually a little uneasy about implementing these changes now. On the original forum, someone said that these changes broke the my movies plugin for WMC extenders. I plan on using that when The Ceton Echo comes out, so maybe I'll just wait. Hopefully M$ will fix the issue soon.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page