I could use some advice on adding a passively cooled videocard to my HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently I have the following in my Silverstone GD05:

OCZ Agility 3 120 GB Drive
AMD Athlon X4 quad core 3.0 GHZ processor (Model 640) cooled by a Scythe Shuriken low profile HSF
2x2GB DDR3, and 1x4GB DDR3
Pioneer 12x Blu-ray drive
AMD 5670 single slot video card

I would like to add the HIS iSilence 7750 passively cooled card http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161417 to reduce system noise, but I'm unsure if the case will keep the card cool enough. My main concern is that if the card is introducing more heat into the system the CPU fan (currently runs at about 800-900 RPM) will speed up and introduce more noise into the equation.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb0y View Post

Currently I have the following in my Silverstone GD05:
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB Drive
AMD Athlon X4 quad core 3.0 GHZ processor (Model 640) cooled by a Scythe Shuriken low profile HSF
2x2GB DDR3, and 1x4GB DDR3
Pioneer 12x Blu-ray drive
AMD 5670 single slot video card
I would like to add the HIS iSilence 7750 passively cooled card http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161417 to reduce system noise, but I'm unsure if the case will keep the card cool enough. My main concern is that if the card is introducing more heat into the system the CPU fan (currently runs at about 800-900 RPM) will speed up and introduce more noise into the equation.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Take ur pick .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001315%20600007321&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20G%2fGT%20series

I use this one and works great . Currently out of stock but some other vendor may have it .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121448

I am not a huge fan of HIS but some have done fine with them

Not a huge fan of amd either and there drivers but hey , if they work for u then G:DREAT
post #3 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the input, but I have my mind set on a 7750 chipset based card because it can draw power from the slot only,runs very cool, and will be okay for casual gaming. My main concern is whether my case and setup can handle a passive card without worrying about heat build up.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
That case has really good cooling, the only bummer is that they put a fan pointing everywhere except where the graphics card heat sink sits.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Take ur pick .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%2050001315%20600007321&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%20G%2fGT%20series
I use this one and works great . Currently out of stock but some other vendor may have it .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121448
I am not a huge fan of HIS but some have done fine with them
Not a huge fan of amd either and there drivers but hey , if they work for u then G:DREAT

Current catalyst drivers are working great on my llano system, but I did have some bugs with earlier drivers.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

I seem to get lucky and avoid a lot of the irritating issues that pop up from time to time such as the no sound issue when resuming from sleep. I'm going to give HIS 7750 passive card a go, and I'll update this thread on the off chance someone else is interested in this case with a passive 7750.

post #7 of 23 Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I seem to get lucky and avoid a lot of the irritating issues that pop up from time to time such as the no sound issue when resuming from sleep. I'm going to give HIS 7750 passive card a go, and I'll update this thread on the off chance someone else is interested in this case with a passive 7750.

That card is built on the 28nm process so it might not put out any more heat then something like a gt430, I would guess it would be fine.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 AM

Liked: 17
I have an HIS passive 6570 in my desktop rig. Only reason I have discrete in it to begin with is the intel IGPs are not dual link DVI capable and I run a 2560x1440 monitor. I hadnt anticipated using this level of card, but got it as it was literally only a few dollars more then the cheapest 5450, 6450, 520, etc, so was a why not sort of thing. Anyhow, while the 6xxx series are supposed to be quite the power hogs, it has a much smaller heatsink then that 7750. My card stays in mid to high 40's with normal use and of course gets way warm into the 80's when pushed near its limits. This is in a case with a couple 120mm fans turned down running slow tucked away in it's enclosed cabinet like a lot of computer desks have, thus certainly not the most efficient cooling. About HIS though...seems like a brand the internet isnt too impressed with...and when I did get that card, I had to exchange it for another right off the bat due to dead DVI port, so I cant say my experience has been perfect either. I have had no issues since however.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

My card just arrived today. If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the install in a GD05 leave a reply and I will document the install this evening.

post #10 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I have experienced this no audio when resuming from sleep, usalley for extended periods of time haven't timed it but it's more time than it takes for PC to sleep and for me to make a sandwhich then resume.

I usalley just start another recorded TV show stop and go back to pervious show, how do you resolve this irritating issue? is there a permament solution?
Thanks STB

Quote:

My card just arrived today. If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the install in a GD05 leave a reply and I will document the install this evening.
are you needing a video card for games or are you wanting to improve video playback?

what software are you using to monitor internal PC temps.?

yes post up the images.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #11 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 13

Hey, stevethebrain.

I too experienced the no sound issue. For me it was not just from suspending and resuming the HTPC. My set up involves the HTPC connected via HDMI to an AVR that takes HDMI inputs from my devices and has one HDMI output to the TV. My AVR also has pass through that allows the video and audio to pass through to the TV when the AVR is in standby mode. I have wireless headphones connected to the audio out of the TV and the TV speakers off. This is a handy setup for night time when the kids have gone to bed. Anyway, switching from AVR on to standby would work intermittently with the TV and headphones. However, much of the time, my audio speaker in the system tray would get a red "X" saying that the audio device was disconnected.

It turns out that HDMI cables have a pin that detects connect/disconnect, and the AVR going into standby mode was being detected by the HTPC as a disconnect of the speakers. Turning the AVR back on did not resolve the issue. However, I remembered reading a thread back when I was researching my HTPC build about this connect/disconnect pin, and the solution presented there was to use a thin strip of masking tape to cover pin 19. In that state, the HTPC is tricked into thinking that there is always a connection. I only applied this fix just yesterday. So, I'll have to monitor the long term effectiveness of the solution, but so far so good.

Tape HDMI Pin 19 to Block Connect/Disconnect Between HTPC/AVR
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419465/wake-from-sleep-issue-edid
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/71953

HTPC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/WMC/MediaBrowser
GD05B-USB3
Core i3-2120/GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250
Lite-On 12x BD-ROM ihes112-04
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic 430W S12II (OS/Apps)
AZIO KB338BP BT KB/Trackpad

post #12 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi, busb0y.

I just built my HTPC this past weekend, and I used the Asus ENGT430 Passively Cooled video card. Thus far it is working well with LAV - Madvr - MPC-HC - Media Browser integration for my MKVs and WTVs either through Media Browser or Media Center. However, as noted it is currently out of stock on NewEgg. I did a Google Shopping search and several stores came back:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ASUS+ENGT430+DC+SL/DI/1GD3+GeForce+GT+430&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1111&bih=720&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3507544168116671820&sa=X&ei=IOlIULW_B4T89gSz3YGoDw&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA#scoring=tp

Meritline.com is the first store listed. I do know them or what kind of reputation they might have, but they claim to have the Asus ENGT430 in stock for $73.99.

HTPC
GD05B-USB3
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250

post #13 of 23 Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

are you needing a video card for games or are you wanting to improve video playback?
what software are you using to monitor internal PC temps.?
yes post up the images.

The card is for casual gaming, but primarily for video/audio. My gaming PC is better suited to more demanding games smile.gif

At the moment I'm just using the asus utility, but I plan on using readings from before and then after so the utility may not be the best but it will be consistent. I will be recording the MB and CPU temps from before, and then after. The GPU temps will be noted also with the new card.

post #14 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrinson View Post

Hey, stevethebrain.

I too experienced the no sound issue. For me it was not just from suspending and resuming the HTPC. My set up involves the HTPC connected via HDMI to an AVR that takes HDMI inputs from my devices and has one HDMI output to the TV. My AVR also has pass through that allows the video and audio to pass through to the TV when the AVR is in standby mode. I have wireless headphones connected to the audio out of the TV and the TV speakers off. This is a handy setup for night time when the kids have gone to bed. Anyway, switching from AVR on to standby would work intermittently with the TV and headphones. However, much of the time, my audio speaker in the system tray would get a red "X" saying that the audio device was disconnected.

It turns out that HDMI cables have a pin that detects connect/disconnect, and the AVR going into standby mode was being detected by the HTPC as a disconnect of the speakers. Turning the AVR back on did not resolve the issue. However, I remembered reading a thread back when I was researching my HTPC build about this connect/disconnect pin, and the solution presented there was to use a thin strip of masking tape to cover pin 19. In that state, the HTPC is tricked into thinking that there is always a connection. I only applied this fix just yesterday. So, I'll have to monitor the long term effectiveness of the solution, but so far so good.

Tape HDMI Pin 19 to Block Connect/Disconnect Between HTPC/AVR
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419465/wake-from-sleep-issue-edid
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/71953

Hello rbrinson the no audio is just one sleep issuse I have also experienceing a black screen (no desktop) even when PC is turned on(not sleeping), this usalley ocurres when I switch activitys (w/ my Harmony 700 remote) from PC to example watch TV (actualley watch TV on the TV).

I have recently been adjusting when sleep comes on (orginalley 30minutes down to 5 the 5 minute setting caused problems of not sleeping currently sleep is set a ten minutes and screen saver is set to come on in one minute I kindof fix one issuse and create another now the PC has to be forced into sleep via start arrow over sleep

I have been informed to disable sleep inside W7MC not sure if I've acomplished this all I did was uncheck the favorite images slideshow after I did this I do have the screen saver w/ the desired blank screen just no auto sleep from DT.

edit I to recently saw this message a red "X" saying that the audio device was disconnected (I was unaware that I dissconnected any audio.

I see the tape on the outside of the HDMI plug doe's this piece of tape extend down inside the plug? hopefully my plug has pin 19 and this will resolve a few issuses.
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #15 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I installed the card last night and I was very surprised at the temperature readings (all temperature readings are listed in Celsius). I used the ATI CCC to gauge the GPU temp, and the Asus utility to gauge motherboard and CPU temps. The ambient temperature in my house was 24 Degrees for the following readings:

Before (XTX 5670 512 MB)

Idle GPU:56 degrees
Idle CPU: 36 degrees
Idle Motherboard: 37 degrees

During Bluray playback (Final car chase scene in Ronin using a network stored image of the movie via Power DVD 12 )
GPU Temp: 68 degrees
CPU temp: 38 degrees
Motherboard temp: 37 degrees

After using the new HIS 7750 passively cooled card

Idle GPU: 43 degrees

During Bluray playback (Final car chase scene in Ronin using a network stored image of the movie via power dvd 12 )
GPU Temp: 48 degrees
CPU temp: 36 degrees

As you can tell the new card is much cooler despite the fact that it uses a passive heat sink. The case is more than capable of housing this card in combination with my other hardware. I was really surprised at how well it performed. My only complaint is that I can now hear my case fans. I just ordered 3 Noctua fans and I'm going to try and run them at the lowest RPM possible. Unfortunately I can't think of a smaller or quieter CPU fan/heat sink than the Scythe Shuriken low profile HSF that I currently have in my case as the Blu-ray drive mounting prohibits anything bigger..

post #16 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:

...................... My only complaint is that I can now hear my case fans. I just ordered 3 Noctua fans and I'm going to try and run them at the lowest RPM possible.............

I have modified my fans to run at 5 volts and they are now silent, try this before spending money as it is a free mod.

David
post #17 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Cancelled my order and bought a controller. Thanks for the tip.

post #18 of 23 Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Hey, stevethebrain.

Concerning the tape application to the HDMI plug, see my post over in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419465/wake-from-sleep-issue-edid#post_22380875

With regards to having the HTPC go to sleep, I just decided to allow the PC to be on all the time. I too have a Harmony 700 remote, and I changed the power settings on the Media Center PC device to always have that device on. At first, I was having my PC go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity or when I powered things down through the remote. I was having some issues with powering things up and the HTPC come up as well. Changing the order of powering up the devices such that the HTPC was first seemed to help. However, some of my overnight scheduled tasks were also getting interrupted.

I have only had my HTPC up and running for a week. So, I'll have to monitor how this works long term, especially with regard to heat. I have a Silverstone GD05 case. However, since my motherboard only has one chassis header, I ended up plugging the fans directly into the power supply, which caused them to run at full speed. So, ended up replacing them with Antec TrueQuiet fans, which have a switch for Low and High. I could still perceive the fan noise at high. So, right now I am running them on low, which makes them barely audible. Actually, I think the Intel CPU fan is louder. I'm not sure how much heat is too much. Generally, the CPU and GPU idle in the low 40 C area, with the CPU going up to 52 or 53 C when watching TV. The GPU can go up into the low 60 C when watching a MKV movie with madvr. Anyway, the only concerns I have about running the HTPC full time are heat and power usage (we'll have to see the utility bill next month).

HTPC
GD05B-USB3
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250

post #19 of 23 Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I installed the card last night and I was very surprised at the temperature readings (all temperature readings are listed in Celsius). I used the ATI CCC to gauge the GPU temp, and the Asus utility to gauge motherboard and CPU temps. The ambient temperature in my house was 24 Degrees for the following readings:
Before (XTX 5670 512 MB)
Idle GPU:56 degrees
During Bluray playback (Final car chase scene in Ronin using a network stored image of the movie via Power DVD 12 )
GPU Temp: 68 degrees
CPU temp: 38 degrees
After using the new HIS 7750 passively cooled card
Idle GPU: 43 degrees
During Bluray playback (Final car chase scene in Ronin using a network stored image of the movie via power dvd 12 )
GPU Temp: 48 degrees
CPU temp: 36 degrees
As you can tell the new card is much cooler despite the fact that it uses a passive heat sink. The case is more than capable of housing this card in combination with my other hardware. I was really surprised at how well it performed. My only complaint is that I can now hear my case fans. I just ordered 3 Noctua fans and I'm going to try and run them at the lowest RPM possible. Unfortunately I can't think of a smaller or quieter CPU fan/heat sink than the Scythe Shuriken low profile HSF that I currently have in my case as the Blu-ray drive mounting prohibits anything bigger..

Your card isn't breaking a sweat for media playback, toss in modern game and see what the numbers are. The numbers you already pulled up are very good though, so I'm guessing you would be fine.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

Hopefully this update will provide some direction for those looking to create a virtually silent system. I recently added 3 Noctua NF-S12B ULN 120mm Fan's to my system and ran them at 500 rpm. Temperatures went up by about 2 degrees under both load and idle. The system is now extremely quiet. A tiny amount of fan noise can only be heard from about 6 inches away, but even then it is barely audible. At this point my only option to further reduce the noise would be to get a fan-less power supply, but that wouldn't yield enough of a difference to justify the cost. It would also introduce a bit too much heat given the case size, and the location (media cabinet with an open front). Hopefully this update will provide some direction for those looking to create a virtually silent system.

Here are the new specs (CPUu is a bit outdated, but something newer would not provide any tangible benefit for now):

Case- Silverstone GD05:
Storage- OCZ Agility 3 120 GB Drive
CPU - AMD Athlon X4 quad core 3.0 GHZ processor (Model 640) cooled by a Scythe Shuriken low profile HSF
Memory - 2x2GB DDR3, and 1x4GB DDR3
Optical Driver - Pioneer 12x Blu-ray drive
Video Card - HIS iSilence 7750 passively cooled
Cooling Fans - 3 Noctua NF-S12B ULN (set at 500 RPM)
Power Supply - Corsair 450 watt (manufactured by Seasonic)

post #21 of 23 Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 234
Newer cpu would run cooler. That's tangible especially in a system you want to be as quiet as possible.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM

You would have got the same results with the stock fans modded to run on 5volts and saved the cost for the three Noctua's.

David
post #23 of 23 Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Newer cpu would run cooler. That's tangible especially in a system you want to be as quiet as possible.

The fan runs really slowly on the CPU as it is so I don't know if going to a newer CPU would make much difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

You would have got the same results with the stock fans modded to run on 5volts and saved the cost for the three Noctua's.
David

I'm a sucker for new gear smile.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page