I'm building a new dedicated HTPC with the goal of making it much more family friendly than the current setup of PC, media server, laptop and media streamer, all connecting various ways and powering different things. It will be headless, administered by remote desktop, controlled by IR and wireless KB/mouse combo.
My goal is to have the following:
- play media library
- watch and record OTA TV
- possibly some light gaming (emulators etc)
- run it all from a media closet via 5.1 channel receiver + HDMI over Cat6 extenders
- I don't need an optical drive. I rip BluRays on my main PC will transfer them over the network.
Current new parts list:
CPU: Intel G630 ($53 at Microcenter inc tax)
Mobo: ??? I need help on this one
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 2x4GB PC1600 ($40 at Newegg)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB ($80 at Newegg)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380w ($31.50 at Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK ($29.50)
If I assume $75 for the mobo, thats $306 in total including tax and shipping (excluding software and parts below of course)!!!
Parts I already have:
- 500GB samsung spinpoint for DVR drive
- 2x 2TB samsung spinpoint for media library
- HDHomeRun DUAL
- USB IR receiver
What do you think? Most of the parts are ordered but I haven't really spent enough time researching motherboards to finalise the purchase. Any recommendations?
Edit: I think I'll go with the ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 ($70 at Newegg). New complete total is $301!