"You're PC just crashed? Don't blame Microsoft" Interesting article in Wired. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/chip_errors/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

This is a terrible "article". Memory errors are nothing new, as was pointed out by the AMD rep. There is a reason that ECC exists and is used in servers - to correct for most memory parity errors, which are a byproduct of minute power fluctuations and solar radiation. Software bugs are responsible for far, far more crashes than hardware. In fact, the majority of blue screens are not memory! Most of them are buggy drivers, bad antivirus software, or virus/malware infestation. At the end, they jump to this silly conclusion that the blue screen (which, btw, did not show any error code in the picture, despite the claim in the text) was caused by bad memory on the video card. This is without actually looking at the minidump file from the BSOD, knowing what actual hardware was in there, or even, really, having the slightest clue about the software on the system.

Yeah, hardware fails. But it really is not that common, and it's foolish to immediately conclude that you have bad memory, or even start down that path, without examining the software issues first. I expected this article to be about the fact that Windows isn't responsible for that many crashes - bad drivers/av software/malware instead being to blame - not this silly nonsense.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The last time I had a BSOD it was RAM. I found it interesting the layman's explanation of soft and hard errors but it left me wanting a more in-depth explanation.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page