Help me on my Mini-ITX build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I am looking to build a HTPC/Music server/player. My requirements are pretty simple

1. Need to be ITX
2. Needs to run Windows 7 & XBMC and some other media players (though not all at the same time)
3. Needs a eSATA port
4. Needs to be around 150 for the motherboard, cpu and ram.
5. Needs to be able to run on 150 watts MAX, lower the better
6. Needs min 3 sata connectors
7. Needs HDMI

This will be used mostly to connect to a USB headphone amp to playback my music via XBMC at work so it will be totally controlled via wireless and my iPhone. I would like to have it run good enough to connect to my receiver at my house and navigate XBMC on my main TV and possibly use with a blu-ray player later on if possible. I will not be encoding and or storing blu-ray and dvd rips on this player so it doesnt need to be able to decode and play those back.

I already have purchase a case for this build as well as the powersupply:

Case: HTPC-ITX6-Black
PowerSupply: 150W PSU-250mm cable +120W AC/DC converter

In addition I plan to replace the stock fan on the case with a Noctua NF-R8-1800 and also purchase AcoustiPak noise dampening material to layer over the entire case if possible.

I have looked at a couple different solutions and keep trying to figure out the best one.

I have the following combinations:

Combo 1:
Mobo: ASRock E350M1 (may also use the 10 dollar more one with USB 3.0)
CPU: built into board
Ram: Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 Desktop Memory Model
Total cost ~120ish depending on which motherboard I go with.

Extra factors: I will replace the CPU fan with a noiseblocker one or another quieter fan.

Combo 2:
Mobo: ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75
CPU: AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz
RAM: PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Total cost: 177 (so its 25 bucks over budget) before factoring in the extra things

Extra factors: I will probably have to purchase a Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti to keep it cool which ups the price a bit

Combo 3:
Mobo: JetWay JI61G-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0
CPU: Intel Celeron G530
RAM: Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
Total Cost: 140

Extra factors: I will probably have to purchase a SILVERSTONE NT07-1156 for the case which adds to the cost

Hoping to get some pro's and con's from the community at large as to each system to help me narrow it down.

I looked briefly at the Atom platform but decided it was to underpowered for me.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Toneloc427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why would you need a new heatsink for the Jetway/Celeron combo? That Silverstone looks nearly identical to the stock Intel heat sinks, at least the ones that come with T-series 35w CPUs. I'm not sure what comes with the 65w.

You might consider the G630T (which comes with a LP heat sink, so it'd be $7 less than the G530+NT07), or the just-released (and not yet available?) G550T or G645T: http://ark.intel.com/compare/69364,53419
Toneloc427 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneloc427 View Post

Why would you need a new heatsink for the Jetway/Celeron combo? That Silverstone looks nearly identical to the stock Intel heat sinks, at least the ones that come with T-series 35w CPUs. I'm not sure what comes with the 65w.
You might consider the G630T (which comes with a LP heat sink, so it'd be $7 less than the G530+NT07), or the just-released (and not yet available?) G550T or G645T: http://ark.intel.com/compare/69364,53419

The G530 heatsink is too high. I am limited to a heatsink that is ~40mm or less due to the case I am using. Thats why I was going to use the Silverstone. It also cools better than the stock intel and runs quieter (hopefully).

I will look into those other chips, but newegg doesnt carry the G630t if I remember correctly. Its also a bit slower than the G530 as well IIRC.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The ASRock B75M-ITX might be worth looking into since it ticks all your boxes.

The Intel G540 is $1 more than the G530 at Newegg though the G540 can be had at Directron for $44.99 + free shipping (Directron is great -- I've done a lot of business there).

For 1 cent less, get two of these Kingston 2GB KVR1333D3S8N9/2G and get DDR3 1333 instead of DDR3 1066 in the kit you linked.

The Silverstone NT07-1156 is a good choice. You can find it at Amazon.com for $24.50. The Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus is a good choice too at $28.98.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 3,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

The Silverstone NT07-1156 is a good choice. You can find it at Amazon.com for $24.50.
I see there is a comment at Amazon that this cooler fits 1155 CPUs also. I'm not smart enough about coolers--why don't (or can't) mfrs make it clearer what-fits-what?

Makes these things VERY hard to surf on.

Thanks for the links.
Laserfan is online now  
post #6 of 26 Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ajkrishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I used an MSI E-350 / AMD Zacate 1.6 GHz dual-core combo for the smaller of my two HTPC's. On-board gig lan, HDMI. Also has Optical out that I could easily feed to a receiver, but I have a Bose Cinemate 2.1 speaker system on it along with a 40" 1080p LCD. I stream big MKV's, and ripped Blurays, music and live TV via a network bridged Ceton card in my server. Works flawlessly. I managed to cram the board/processor and a 500 Gb hard drive, a 40 Gb SSD and a slot-load DVD into a thermaltake SD100 case (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/04/amd-zacate-mini-itx-motherboards-preview/5). fans are noticeable, but not a distraction at all during playback. The MSI board & processor only ran around $140. Total cost of the PC was around $500.

Only downside for me was the SD100 did not come with an RF receiver, so I yanked the reset button and installed an iMon receiver, but it looks like your case already has one. I also picked up a Logitech diNovo mini that I use with it. Very pleased with the build.
ajkrishock is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I used an MSI E-350 / AMD Zacate 1.6 GHz dual-core combo for the smaller of my two HTPC's. On-board gig lan, HDMI. Also has Optical out that I could easily feed to a receiver, but I have a Bose Cinemate 2.1 speaker system on it along with a 40" 1080p LCD. I stream big MKV's, and ripped Blurays, music and live TV via a network bridged Ceton card in my server. Works flawlessly. I managed to cram the board/processor and a 500 Gb hard drive, a 40 Gb SSD and a slot-load DVD into a thermaltake SD100 case (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/04/amd-zacate-mini-itx-motherboards-preview/5). fans are noticeable, but not a distraction at all during playback. The MSI board & processor only ran around $140. Total cost of the PC was around $500.
Only downside for me was the SD100 did not come with an RF receiver, so I yanked the reset button and installed an iMon receiver, but it looks like your case already has one. I also picked up a Logitech diNovo mini that I use with it. Very pleased with the build.

Why on earth would anyone use or recommend a Zacate (or Atom for that matter)? Its underpowered and way overpriced for what you get.

You can get 3-4 times the CPU for the same or less money nowadays.
assassin is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
ajkrishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Why on earth would anyone use or recommend a Zacate (or Atom for that matter)? Its underpowered and way overpriced for what you get.
You can get 3-4 times the CPU for the same or less money nowadays.

I built this system almost two years ago. At the time, these systems were the top of the line. Besides, how much power do you really need to do a media PC? I'm not gaming with it. Generally speaking, when you add CPU power, you also have to add cooling, and a mini-itx form factor is limited in what you can do. I feel like I'm a pretty demanding user of home theatre PC's, and this build was cheap, easy to use, powerful, and presents a relatively small footprint in my living room.

You're probably right. There are more powerful systems available today (such is the nature of the computer industry). My goal was to share my build with the original poster.
ajkrishock is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I built this system almost two years ago. At the time, these systems were the top of the line. Besides, how much power do you really need to do a media PC? I'm not gaming with it. Generally speaking, when you add CPU power, you also have to add cooling, and a mini-itx form factor is limited in what you can do. I feel like I'm a pretty demanding user of home theatre PC's, and this build was cheap, easy to use, powerful, and presents a relatively small footprint in my living room.
You're probably right. There are more powerful systems available today (such is the nature of the computer industry). My goal was to share my build with the original poster.

That's the whole point though. The newer systems are 3-4 times more powerful, use the same or less amount of power and cost the same or less amount of money.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364084/htpc-kill-a-watt-power-usage-thread-with-pics

And 2 years is an eternity in electronics and especially PC.
assassin is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
ajkrishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

That's the whole point though. The newer systems are 3-4 times more powerful, use the same or less amount of power and cost the same or less amount of money.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364084/htpc-kill-a-watt-power-usage-thread-with-pics
And 2 years is an eternity in electronics and especially PC.

If it is your goal to minimize power usage, then you design with that goal in mind. I get that. Power consumption wasn't my primary goal when I built my system. I've never measured it, but I'd be inclined to bet that my system is way under the 150 watt max stated by the OP. Xbitlabs showed it to be competitive with the i3 on most tests (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-2100t_11.html).

Can you get better? Sure. If that's the goal. For the features and the money, it worked for me.
ajkrishock is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

If it is your goal to minimize power usage, then you design with that goal in mind. I get that. Power consumption wasn't my primary goal when I built my system. I've never measured it, but I'd be inclined to bet that my system is way under the 150 watt max stated by the OP. Xbitlabs showed it to be competitive with the i3 on most tests (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-2100t_11.html).
Can you get better? Sure. If that's the goal. For the features and the money, it worked for me.

That's not the point. The point is you get 3-4 times the PC for the same or less money or energy usage. The energy savings is a bonus.
assassin is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Assasin, thanks for weighing in.

I bought my components earlier this morning and they are on their way. I think I did good.

I went with the following:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3 (good review here)

I went with this motherboard as it uses good parts from a trusted brand. I read LOTS of reviews of ASRock boards (both H67, H61, H77, FM1) and while some are positive there were some constant issues with them and some trusted sources said they were iffy at times. I was more familiar with ASUS but that board wouldnt work given its 24 pin connectors location. Given I dont want to mess around I decided this board was a better choice and its got just about everything I wanted.

As a side bonus it also will work with the Streamcom FC8 case I in all likelyhood may move this system into sometime soon so I can go totally passive. It will depend on how this system sounds noise wise but I really like the Streamcom case. Its not worth returning my current case at the present time for the Streamcom as I dont have the cash for it.

CPU: AMD A4-Series A4-3400

In looking at this CPU v the Pentium G530 in this link the A4-3400 bests it in just about all the tests they ran, especially the FLAC test. Given that and that Windows 7 goes back to more single core usage I decided to go with this CPU. It also should allow me to use a blu-ray player and playback video with no issues on my TV (if I decided to do that later on) as well as Netflix and Youtube.

Memory: Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

This memory is more than likely overkill for this particular setup but since it wasnt too expensive and is also low voltage I thought it would be worth it. I checked to ensure it is listed as compatible on Gigabytes website. It is also 30mm tall so I shouldnt have any issues with it running into the 3.5 HDD installed in my case.

I am going to hope the stock heatsink will be under 40mm tall but we will see. If not I was planning on buying the SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 as it will more than fit. I also plan to replace the stock 80mm fcase fan with a Noctua 80mm fan.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I am sure it will be a fine build.

The A4 is actually quite a bit weaker than the Intel Celerons. I would have told you to go with the A6-3500.

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/5005?cPage=6&all=False&sort=0&page=2&slug=holiday-budget-system-buyers-guide

Passmark scores are about 2400 for the Celerons and 1700 for the A4.
assassin is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I am sure it will be a fine build.
The A4 is actually quite a bit weaker than the Intel Celerons. I would have told you to go with the A6-3500.
http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/5005?cPage=6&all=False&sort=0&page=2&slug=holiday-budget-system-buyers-guide
Passmark scores are about 2400 for the Celerons and 1700 for the A4.

Yeah, I just didnt have the extra money for it but could justify the extra 5 bucks for the A4-3400 over the A4-3300. My budget was originally 250 for everything and considering the case and pico psu was 150 and the components 160ish I was already over budget, not including the CPU cooler and replacement case fan. I looked at that CPU but thought that a 2.1 triple core would be slower on XBMC than a 2.7 dual core.

I have that CPU on a auto-notify if the price drops to a decent rate. Given from what I read the FM1 socket is dead it might drop enough in price to make sure I grab it. I personally don think I would go any higher than that without worrying about maxing out my 150 watt powersupply.

BTW thanks for your site and guides. I looked over them a couple times when looking for other motherboard options (like ones no longer on newegg like the Gigabyte board)

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Yeah, I just didnt have the money for it but could justify the extra 5 bucks for the A4-3400 over the A4-3300. My budget was originally 250 for everything and considering the case and pico psu was 150 and the components 160ish I was already over budget, not including the CPU cooler and replacement case fan. I looked at that CPU but thought that a 2.1 triple core would be slower on XBMC than a 2.7 dual core.
I have that CPU on a auto-notify if the price drops to a decent rate. Given from what I read the FM1 socket is dead it might drop enough in price to make sure I grab it. I personally don think I would go any higher than that without worrying about maxing out my 150 watt powersupply.

I understand your thinking.

It gets confusing because its not all about cores, CPU speed, etc anymore. Its now all about architecture. Even the quad core A8 can't keep up with the dual core i3 2105 in some tests and benchmarks yet uses a lot more energy and creates a lot more heat.
assassin is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I understand your thinking.
It gets confusing because its not all about cores, CPU speed, etc anymore. Its now all about architecture. Even the quad core A8 can't keep up with the dual core i3 2105 in some tests and benchmarks yet uses a lot more energy and creates a lot more heat.

Yup, its been years since I built my last monster computer (Intel Q9650 running @ 3.6 GHz with 8 gig DDR 2 1066 a 1k PSU and a ATI 4870x2). It gets even more trickey with built in graphics because you have to look at the number of shaders and the gpu core speed as well.

I did like that the A6 had 3MG L2 cache so like I said if it drops to a resonable price I will probably pop on it (and then take the A4 and put it in a smaller less astetically pleasing cheap HTPC build elsewhere in my house (as opposed to work). Also if I get the Streamcom case I will feel more comfortable with that CPU as well as I want to make sure I have adequate cooling without having to have loud noisy fans to keep the temps low.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Yup, its been years since I built my last monster computer (Intel Q9650 running @ 3.6 GHz with 8 gig DDR 2 1066 a 1k PSU and a ATI 4870x2). It gets even more trickey with built in graphics because you have to look at the number of shaders and the gpu core speed as well.
I did like that the A6 had 3MG L2 cache so like I said if it drops to a resonable price I will probably pop on it (and then take the A4 and put it in a smaller less astetically pleasing cheap HTPC build elsewhere in my house (as opposed to work). Also if I get the Streamcom case I will feel more comfortable with that CPU as well as I want to make sure I have adequate cooling without having to have loud noisy fans to keep the temps low.

Even the shaders and graphics core are confusing. For 1080p/720p (which is >99% of my media) they don't really matter unless you are using something like Madvr for post-processing or use your HTPC for very light gaming (of which I do neither --- this is also the same scenario of the majority on AVS and elsewhere like the XBMC where I see you posted this same thread). There is very litte, if any, difference between HD2000/3000/2500/4000 vs AMD-A6 vs ATI 5450/6450/6570 vs NVidia GT430, etc. I suspect that Trinity will be no improvement at all as well for HTPC uses (again, 1080p and 720p).
assassin is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Even the shaders and graphics core are confusing. For 1080p/720p (which is >99% of my media) they don't really matter unless you are using something like Madvr for post-processing or use your HTPC for very light gaming (of which I do neither --- this is also the same scenario of the majority on AVS and elsewhere like the XBMC where I see you posted this same thread). There is very litte, if any, difference between HD2000/3000/2500/4000 vs AMD-A6 vs ATI 5450/6450/6570 vs NVidia GT430, etc. I suspect that Trinity will be no improvement at all as well for HTPC uses (again, 1080p and 720p).

Good to know. I am now using a ATI 5450 in my main rig (stopped gaming and sold the 4970x2 as well as the 1k PSU about 2 years ago) and am happy with its performance. Who knows maybe I will build myself a small new computer for the office and move my main machine to be a server in the future eek.gif. Its got enough SATA ports as well as memory and CPU horsepower to handle it.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Well good news and bad. The place I ordered the Gigabyte board from no longer has any mad.gif. As a plus I ended up going to another site and since I could I went with the A6-3500 as suggested. Can I ask why you recommend the A6 over the A4? I like to read up on it for my own knowledge smile.gif

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
NOSTRADIMWIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

I went with the following:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3 (good review here)
I went with this motherboard as it uses good parts from a trusted brand.

Went over to check out the board, and they're apparently out ... that was fast!

Running into that a lot. I was originally looking into an ASUS E45M1-I Deluxe and that was gone the following day.

Guess the moral of the story is to stop thinking and click the buy button ...

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

NOSTRADIMWIT is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

Went over to check out the board, and they're apparently out ... that was fast!
Running into that a lot. I was originally looking into an ASUS E45M1-I Deluxe and that was gone the following day.
Guess the moral of the story is to stop thinking and click the buy button ...

Yeah, I found another site with that board, buying it NOW

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
NOSTRADIMWIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did find the board at MWave, along with the 3500 triple core.

What did you go with for cooling? I'm looking to install in a full size ATX HTPC case (Bach Media 800) and my original plan was to go fanless, but that may not be an option unless somebody knows of a killer passive heatsink for the FM1 chip that comes in at under 4" height. I do expect to be able to junk the existing case fans, and also upgraded recently to a low noise 650 watt power supply with a 120mm "golf" fan ... VERY quiet as is, and it should just barely break idle with the power load of the Gigabyte board, APU, 4 gig of memory, an SSD for software, and a 1tb media drive.

Was just looking at this bad boy ...



Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Probably a bit overkill, but it wouldn't break my heart if the fan never ran ...


PS ... the Silverstone cooler you quoted is listed for an AM2 chip - just did a goooooogle and apparently any AM2/3 cooler has the same footprint as the FM1. That certainly does open up a lot more options for coolers.

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

NOSTRADIMWIT is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

I did find the board at MWave, along with the 3500 triple core.
What did you go with for cooling? I'm looking to install in a full size ATX HTPC case (Bach Media 800) and my original plan was to go fanless, but that may not be an option unless somebody knows of a killer passive heatsink for the FM1 chip that comes in at under 4" height. I do expect to be able to junk the existing case fans, and also upgraded recently to a low noise 650 watt power supply with a 120mm "golf" fan ... VERY quiet as is, and it should just barely break idle with the power load of the Gigabyte board, APU, 4 gig of memory, an SSD for software, and a 1tb media drive.
Was just looking at this bad boy ...

Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Probably a bit overkill, but it wouldn't break my heart if the fan never ran ...

That Scythe is damn near silent from what I read. Its a VERY good option and IMHO is one I would stick with if you have the room. I see it on just about any HTPC forum all the time. Another good one is this Silverstone option: SILVERSTONE NT06-E. 3.2 inches tall without a fan and you can add something like this fan: Scythe SY1212SL12L and still be good.

You could add a fan up to 19.6mm tall and be at or under your 4" limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

PS ... the Silverstone cooler you quoted is listed for an AM2 chip - just did a goooooogle and apparently any AM2/3 cooler has the same footprint as the FM1. That certainly does open up a lot more options for coolers.

Yes that was very nice to learn.

Also as an FYI anything from Noctua is ALWAYS something I would take a long hard look at.

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
NOSTRADIMWIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking of overkill ... stumbled across this in my research ...



I was actually thinking that might work as a total passive heatsink until I found this pic to give me a sense of scale. Yikes! I'd have to build an addition on the house to park that puppy ... I imagine that could dissipate about as much heat as a tile on the space shuttle.

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

NOSTRADIMWIT is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Here are some shots of the computer case with the NFB-5 headphone amp

BE2274A5-9D2A-4E86-9611-FFE7AB043E6A-8387-00000C523E699FA9.jpg
E0D4DC58-0777-4B20-82E3-F03D313AF46D-8387-00000C5244D58D11.jpg
19983A6D-14E3-4069-9F60-606D0211A268-8387-00000C5237F1C909.jpg

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Got in some of the parts today (CPU and Motherboard). So of course I had to mock things up a bit.

Parts:
8E55EA49-BE23-4C8C-96D8-B4E64D29F74E-10981-00000F3510AEB804.jpg

6EA2FDA6-7527-4C63-B434-A2648B3DB173-10981-00000F3508D1D31C.jpg

I am glad I mocked it up because I know now I cant use the stock heatsink. Its simply too tall as shown in the pics below. I have decided to go with the Silverstone NT07-AM2 heatsink because unlike some of the other low profile options, I can use a different fan with it if I want. I also will be replacing the stock 80mm fan with a Noctua one.

Here are the pics:

9064BBC1-A3F5-463A-94E8-E1A8ADF73C1E-10981-00000F355D5CE7CA.jpg

A8299501-3C28-4EB4-A6FF-B5AA799DA3D2-10981-00000F36FBF376F7.jpg

For reference here is the entire computer case next to a standard CD case

695FC66D-00A3-4EF5-A100-0579AA0CC8CC-10981-00000F37109E56D9.jpg

95BAB13F-0A62-488D-8E25-7A3AF25C8E61-10981-00000F371C9B80AA.jpg

As you can see, the HDD wont work with the heatsink as even with the HDD directly stacked on top its a good 5mm to tall.

AFD21516-6684-42EA-809D-D325DD2BEDF4-10981-00000F398D0AEB34.jpg

Masterchief approves!

25C0004E-E630-4040-A242-0093ECBB8038-10981-00000F36EA55093A.jpg

My Setup

 

 

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

 

 

EndersShadow is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off