Originally Posted by Bbaskety
Is money an issue? Why are u not looking at a main HTPC then building extenders to manage at each other TV? Not telling u to buy from here but go to assassinhtpc.com. They have extenders which could give you the idea...
Just another thought. This is what I have in my house for my 3 TV's, let me know if u would want more detail...
Looking at his site, it appears his 'extenders' are just additional HTPCs. If so, I am guessing that they don't extend encrypted LiveTV from your main HTPC (obviously could do a networked tuner, but that's a different animal).
I've been trying to do a similar thing to the OP in our house. We have an HTPC in the living room with a projector. Works great. My wife's art room is on the other side of the wall from the HTPC. She wanted to be able to watch movies as well as live TV in there. I went through the following progression in trying to make this work:
1) Added a new video card to my HTPC that had a DVI (with sound) and HDMI out and could handle two monitors. Discovered that the audio signal will only go out to one of them.
2) Looked at getting a splitter, but seemed like there might be an issue since the TV in the art room is only 2.1. Never got a clear answer if a swtich would make it so that the audio going to our AVR would be downgraded to 2.1 as well.
3) Bought an XBox 360 to use as an extender. Works awesome for live and recorded TV. Doesn't play ripped Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs/DVDs (which almost all of our collection is in)
4) Bought a new AVR (needed one anyway) with a built in splitter. Discovered that it won't both play audio and pass through audio on HDMI to the second TV. Set it up to be pass through to the second TV when the power was off, but that seemed to freak out WMC and make it crash
5) Went back to the dual output from the HTPC, but built a macro with AutoHotKey and EventGhost to switch the audio.
I'm still at #5 which seems the most promising, but a few issues have popped up:
1) I added a second IR receiver to the HTPC that is locate in the art room. EventGhost doesn't seem to pick up its events though
2) In order to get the audio to switch, you have to exit 7MC. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying (I made a macro in EventGhost that does it all at once)
3) PlayReady seems to have issues with having the dual displays and I off and on get a notice saying that my PC is not ready for encrypted TV. Tried running through the set up again, but didn't help.
I was planning to do a rebuild anyway soon, so I'm hoping that if I do the initial PlayReady setup with both monitors attached, it will stop freaking out and this solution will work. I'm sure I can get EventGhost to start trapping events from both IR receivers, I haven't played with it much so far though.
I told my wife though that this is the last straw. If this doesn't work, I'm building a new basic HTPC to put into the art room and I'll add a network tuner so she can get live TV. That will cover everything outside of the stuff she records on encrypted channels like AMC and Starz, but there is nothing I can do about that.
It really shouldn't be this complicated.