Not getting 5.1 DD through HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to turn my PC into a HTPC. I have an HDMI cable going from the PC to my Elite VSX-01, and I'm not getting 5.1 sound. All the lights are lit up on the receiver for all the speakers, but the sound is only coming out of the front 2 speakers.When I do the sound check in the Realtek settings, all the speakers make a sound during the test.What am I missing here? This is the graphics card I'm using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Almost all TV's will not pass 5.1 from an HDMI input, through the digital output. The only 5.1 through the digital input would be from the internal tuner on the TV.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last guy missed thinking you're connecting from PC to TV -- NOT.

For the life of me I can';t figure WHAT chipset that card you picked is based on. The description mentions ATi stuff but NOT if it's a 5xxx or 6xxx series... either way the key to your passing 5.1 via the HDMI cable is to select 2-ch speakers in your audio configuration for the HDMI audio device in your PC. Got it?

YES, you have to be playing something with a 5.1 audio track - what are you trying to listen to and how are you playing it? Maybe a DVD using WMC or MPC-HC? Maybe using PDVD? all of these need to have the audio set to SPDIF or PASSTHROUGH as well for this to work.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

IWhen I do the sound check in the Realtek settings, all the speakers make a sound during the test.What am I missing here?

Whose drivers are you using; Realtek or AMD's?
I would suggest downloading the latest CCC package from AMD and installing the HDMI driver.
Then go to Playback Devices select AMD HDMI Audio Device and set it to 5.1
post #5 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Last guy missed thinking you're connecting from PC to TV -- NOT.
For the life of me I can';t figure WHAT chipset that card you picked is based on. The description mentions ATi stuff but NOT if it's a 5xxx or 6xxx series... either way the key to your passing 5.1 via the HDMI cable is to select 2-ch speakers in your audio configuration for the HDMI audio device in your PC. Got it?
YES, you have to be playing something with a 5.1 audio track - what are you trying to listen to and how are you playing it? Maybe a DVD using WMC or MPC-HC? Maybe using PDVD? all of these need to have the audio set to SPDIF or PASSTHROUGH as well for this to work.

The card is a 5450 series. It wasn't doing a good job of handling a 15gb BluRay mkv. It was really choppy so I went back and tried using the HDMI on my motherboard because it has onboard graphics. That handled the mkv with no problems. As far as getting the 5.1, I noticed an ffdshow icon on the bottom of my PC screen when I was playing the mkv through Media Player Classic. I right clicked on ffdshow,and opened up the options. In the passthrough section, there were no check marks in any of the Dolby Digital settings. I checked all of them, and now I'm getting 5.1 through my receiver. Now my only problem, is that when all of those are checked, I get no sound when I'm using my PC to listen to anything. I have to go back into the settings and uncheck all the Dolby Digital settings to get my sound back on the PC.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't let an application dictate your system configuration. Sure, you need to use passthrough, but how do you have your SYSTEM configured? Set the default audio to the HDMI Audio device and have it set for SPDIF so that all sounds will passthrough as SPDIF on the HDMI Audio device!

I'm really surprised the 5450 was having issue - it's usually a decent performer and more capable than most on-board graphics (e.g. HD4200, HD4250). Choppy sounds like an issue with 24p versus 60p - what's your display capability? One more thing: if you use the 5450 you can disable the on-board in the BIOS which usually frees up that (shared) RAM and often allows the RAM to run faster - note your Win 7 WEI index numbers!

WHY are you using FFDShow at all? When I play an .mkv using mcp-hc it just passes the audio, no FFDShow, no processing... in fact, it passes ALL of it to the GPU leaving about 4-6% CPU demand for handling the file. Just set your system's audio to the HDMI Audio set to do SPDIF and you'll never launch any of the FFDShow codecs!
post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Don't let an application dictate your system configuration. Sure, you need to use passthrough, but how do you have your SYSTEM configured? Set the default audio to the HDMI Audio device and have it set for SPDIF so that all sounds will passthrough as SPDIF on the HDMI Audio device!
I'm really surprised the 5450 was having issue - it's usually a decent performer and more capable than most on-board graphics (e.g. HD4200, HD4250). Choppy sounds like an issue with 24p versus 60p - what's your display capability? One more thing: if you use the 5450 you can disable the on-board in the BIOS which usually frees up that (shared) RAM and often allows the RAM to run faster - note your Win 7 WEI index numbers!
WHY are you using FFDShow at all? When I play an .mkv using mcp-hc it just passes the audio, no FFDShow, no processing... in fact, it passes ALL of it to the GPU leaving about 4-6% CPU demand for handling the file. Just set your system's audio to the HDMI Audio set to do SPDIF and you'll never launch any of the FFDShow codecs!

Andrew, when you say set your system's audio to the HDMI Audio set to do SPDIF, are you referring to my Elite receiver, or the settings on my pc?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The PC.

The Receiver should be set to AUTO so it can decode whatever your HDMI Audio (from the PC) streams whether it be PCM Stereo (system sounds), AC3, or DTS. Also, set the AVR to NOT pass audio through onto your display device (TV) so that the PC "sees" the AVR as the audio device and not the TV (or you may only get stereo). And, 1 more time: configure the HDMI Audio as 2-ch stereo speakers to cause the digital audio streams to pass without decoding in the PC.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

So basically,the way you want me to set it up, would be sending a raw,untouched,signal to the Elite, and letting the Elite decode it, right? The way I have it now, the audio signal is being decoded by ffdshow,and then being sent to the receiver, right?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing. I think maybe the signal is leaving my pc untouched, because when I turn up the volume on the pc, it doesn't affect the volume on the Elite. Would that be a true assumption?
post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Somehow FFDshow is processing it, how I can't be sure as I do NOT use FFDShow (that I know of). So, YES, you do not want the PC to decode the sound, just pass it through, or stream, it where the Elite does ALL decoding. And YES, when it's passing digitally your PC will no longer control any volume since the stream is digital and untouched.

Once you get the config set correctly you'll never touch any of the settings again.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Andrew, I started from scratch and uninstalled the Community Codec Pack which also uninstalled MPC-CH. I downloaded the newest version of MPC-CH and installed it. Right out of the gate, there were problems. First off, my mkv's all looked crappy for some reason. 2nd, the mkv's would play on my pc, but when I would try to play them on my tv, I was just getting a black screen. I have no idea why I am having those problems, other than maybe I still need ffdshow video? I ended up restoring my pc to an earlier date to get back to where I was before these problems. I did notice this, when I play an mkv now, if I hover the mouse over the ffdshow audio icon, it does say the audio is s/pdif. Does that mean the audio is untouched going out of my pc,I hope?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page