Should I install XBMC from within Administrator account or user account? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[Windows 7]

I installed XBMC as the administrator for the HDTV I wanted to use this PC on. But then I realized that to restrict web browsing for this HDTV that I needed to have another account, since parental controls are not an option for the Admin account. Kids will be using this HTPC.

So I created another user account. But then in the other user account, which I named "HTPC", I could not find the XBMC program. It is not found in the program menu from the start button. Neither can I find the XBMC folder on the C: drive.

Of course XBMC is found on the C: drive and in the program menu in the Administrator account, but not in this new account I've created.

What is the best way to install XBMC with this in mind? Should I have installed XBMC in the Admin account and then enable sharing of its folder to the "HTPC" user account? Or should I have just installed XBMC in the "HTPC" user account first since it is really the only account which we intend to use the program from?

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. I'll hold off setup of XBMC on this PC till I know it is installed correctly for the user account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry for the bump. But I can't seem to find anyone that has experience with installing a program in Windows 7 that knows about the problem I encountered when I installed XBMC from within my Administrator account.
Anyone?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same question. Just bought an acer revo used. It doesn't come in to a sign in window. It comes straight to windows 7.

Should I set up a separate user or should I just use the admin that it boots to.

This computer should stay on all the time unless the power fails.

Mrick
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page