HTPC handshake order and no video from sleep - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not so great at the search function and don't have a lot of time to go through a thousand threads on this but I'm pretty sure it's been addressed before. I'm wanting to know what is the "handshake" order and a solution to the following problem I'm having. I haven't investigated this too deeply because I'm usually able to get things going by pressing power on the computer and turning on my receiver and TV at roughly the same time. I don't really have a set order I do this but it typically works. The problem I have is that sometimes after my computer goes to sleep I can't get a signal when it wakes up. I'll occasionally turn the tv and receiver off and leave the computer to go into sleep mode by itself but sometimes when I turn everything back on I can't get a signal. I'll turn on the tv and then turn on the receiver. Sometimes I can press the power button on the computer putting it back into sleep and mess around with the order of turning other things on and get it back but sometimes nothing seems to get it to give a signal and I end up having to shut it down using the power button. I'm in the middle of complete reinstall right now due to Windows files becoming corrupted after many moons of handling things this way. Why do they need this stupid handshake deal anyway. A pain in the *** for sure.

My system is the following:

Gateway LX6810 - Windows 7
Denon 1910 AVR
Panasonic TC -p55st30

Thanks.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
More than likely, a Gefen HDMI Detective will solve your problem.

I had the same issue and, with the HDMI Detective, I am able to switch inputs on the tv or receiver, or wake the machine the machine from sleep or a cold boot, and not lose the signal.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like it would solve it. The first reviewer pretty much describes what I have going on. At $85 though....dang. Are there any other solutions to this that are more budget friendly or is this it? Thanks..

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezteladog View Post

Sounds like it would solve it. The first reviewer pretty much describes what I have going on. At $85 though....dang. Are there any other solutions to this that are more budget friendly or is this it? Thanks..

I don't know of any other solution that worked immediately. I searched around and tried different drivers for quite a while until I decided to pay the price. After getting the unit, it took me about 5 minutes to connect and program the unit. After that, it has been perfect.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I don't know of any other solution that worked immediately. I searched around and tried different drivers for quite a while until I decided to pay the price. After getting the unit, it took me about 5 minutes to connect and program the unit. After that, it has been perfect.

yes. you are right. save yourself the time and try the hdmi detective. I played around for months with different drivers and edid overrides etc.. Nothing was 100%. a new driver/edid override would work temporarily, and then once things gefen off/on and reset, results will change. I finally bit the bullet and ordered the gefen hdmi detective. Haven't had any issues since. Trust me save yourself a ton of time and just do it. 85 dollars doesn't add up to the hours you will waste trying to fix it.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hate to piggyback onto someone else's thread, but I'm having the same issue though usually it's the audio that drops out. I have an AMD HD6670 in my Windows 7 32 bit HTPC and I'm getting audio dropouts and ocassional video dropouts switching back to it from any other source. I've set up the computer never to sleep, but as soon as the AVR switches to either Cable or Bluray, the sound won't return when I come back to my computer.

I have had this problem running CCC 12.6 beta, 12.7 beta and 12.8 official. It was originally much better with 12.6 beta until I changed out receivers from an HK AVR 2600 to an Onkyo RC-HT203 (I needed the 7.1 from the HK to go down in my screening room as soon as it's complete.) Now that I've changed the receivers it "dependably" loses sound every time I return to computer in the receiver.

I've tried 3 different EDID override attempts but none of them fixes this issue. 2 of the three did cause me to lose video completely until I did a cold reboot. I was debating trying the EDID override once again when I ran across this thread.

Since the older DVI Detectives are cheaper than the HDMI Detectives, could I use one, or will I lose the sound feed that goes on the HDMI feed as well?

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Take a look at this post.
billqs likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

Hate to piggyback onto someone else's thread, but I'm having the same issue though usually it's the audio that drops out. I have an AMD HD6670 in my Windows 7 32 bit HTPC and I'm getting audio dropouts and ocassional video dropouts switching back to it from any other source. I've set up the computer never to sleep, but as soon as the AVR switches to either Cable or Bluray, the sound won't return when I come back to my computer.
I have had this problem running CCC 12.6 beta, 12.7 beta and 12.8 official. It was originally much better with 12.6 beta until I changed out receivers from an HK AVR 2600 to an Onkyo RC-HT203 (I needed the 7.1 from the HK to go down in my screening room as soon as it's complete.) Now that I've changed the receivers it "dependably" loses sound every time I return to computer in the receiver.
I've tried 3 different EDID override attempts but none of them fixes this issue. 2 of the three did cause me to lose video completely until I did a cold reboot. I was debating trying the EDID override once again when I ran across this thread.
Since the older DVI Detectives are cheaper than the HDMI Detectives, could I use one, or will I lose the sound feed that goes on the HDMI feed as well?
Thanks!

Unless the DVI detective is able to transmit sound, you'll be stuck with using an optical cable or some other method to get audio to your receiver.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You may want to take a look at this monoprice product in stead of the HDMI detective.

Another thing is to not set you video driver to automatic but actually use the aspect ratio (16:9).

post #10 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You may want to take a look at this monoprice product in stead of the HDMI detective.
Another thing is to not set you video driver to automatic but actually use the aspect ratio (16:9).

Isn't that monoprice item only an extender? Not sure how that would help the OP.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page