Trinity vs. I3 Ivy Bridge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any good review site that have compared these two CPUs (I guess GPUs)?

As I am sitting here starting to think about what I might want I don't see what the big deal is to wait another month, it's going to take me a little time anyway. However the chip decision I presume is what should guide everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Same decision here, waiting for trinity.
Currently you have to decide between:
A6-3500
i3-3225
where the i3 seems to be much more capable, power efficient and about 100 more expensive, incl mobo etc.
post #3 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotzen View Post

A6-3500
i3-3225
where the i3 seems to be much more capable, power efficient and about 100 more expensive, incl mobo etc.

You can get a B75 motherboard for about $60, fwiw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
trinity is suppose to be substantially more energy efficient then llano, so should probably be in line with ivy bridge. Core i3 cpu portion is more capable than llano but the graphics core is less capable, it really depends on intended use. Both core i3 and llano have more muscle than you need for HTPC.

Ivy bridge vs trinity should have same results

intel - stronger cpu
amd - stronger gpu
post #5 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

trinity is suppose to be substantially more energy efficient then llano, so should probably be in line with ivy bridge. Core i3 cpu portion is more capable than llano but the graphics core is less capable, it really depends on intended use. Both core i3 and llano have more muscle than you need for HTPC.
intel - stronger cpu
amd - stronger gpu

Some Llano. The a4 is underpowered, imo.

post #6 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

intel - stronger cpu
amd - stronger gpu

I am not a gamer and I can't imagine giving up the main TV for the kids, however my son has griped about trying to run diablo on his laptop. I am sure he's looking to get helped out on this deal as well (even though I can't see giving up the main TV for him to play).

And Jeffkro, I've just seen a lot of posts in the last several days encouraging a few people to wait for the Intel CPU which should be ready in the next 7-10 days so I presume there is a reason. Better rending of 3D/1080p?

I should add I have 4 Roku's around the house and one working xbox 360 (one with RROD, I should fix) and I expect that they will want to use Plex, and I am not sure if Plex is more CPU or GPU instensive.
post #7 of 51 Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronk View Post

I am not a gamer and I can't imagine giving up the main TV for the kids, however my son has griped about trying to run diablo on his laptop. I am sure he's looking to get helped out on this deal as well (even though I can't see giving up the main TV for him to play).
And Jeffkro, I've just seen a lot of posts in the last several days encouraging a few people to wait for the Intel CPU which should be ready in the next 7-10 days so I presume there is a reason. Better rending of 3D/1080p?
I should add I have 4 Roku's around the house and one working xbox 360 (one with RROD, I should fix) and I expect that they will want to use Plex, and I am not sure if Plex is more CPU or GPU instensive.

None of these options (Llano, Ivy Bridge, Trinity) are a good option for you or your son. I think the iGPU or APU is a very poor substitute for a real gaming card and is certainly not going to be enough for the serious gamer.

post #8 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

None of these options (Llano, Ivy Bridge, Trinity) are a good option for you or your son. I think the iGPU or APU is a very poor substitute for a real gaming card and is certainly not going to be enough for the serious gamer.

Yes, BUT, Llano is VERY capable of running a game like Diablo III, the one he asked about, quite easily at 1080p. I know because I do it. He wasn't asking about Crysis or Metro 2033. He asked about DIII. And Llano is great. Trinity will be even better. Intel iGPU....not so much.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #9 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 AM

Not wanting to overtake this thread, but I am deciding between:
AMD Llano A6-3500 http://geizhals.co.uk/?cat=WL-260353
vs.
Intel Ivy i3-3225 (HD 4000) http://geizhals.co.uk/?cat=WL-258079
vs.
Intel SB Pentium G630T + passive Radeon HD 6450 http://geizhals.co.uk/?cat=WL-260764

I do not want to game with this, it's just an AMD E-350 replacement (which sucks at flash-sites and severly annoys GF).
My focus is on power-efficiency, silence and future-proof in respect to h265

Are there any *major* pros/cons with these builds?
post #10 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you plan on doing? 3d blu ray, madvr, encoding? Low model quad core trinity looks to be 65w for $109.
post #11 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Yes, BUT, Llano is VERY capable of running a game like Diablo III, the one he asked about, quite easily at 1080p. I know because I do it. He wasn't asking about Crysis or Metro 2033. He asked about DIII. And Llano is great. Trinity will be even better. Intel iGPU....not so much.

I wouldn't call it "very" capable. Here are some Llano laptop reviews using the more power (and much hotter and much less efficient) A8:
Quote:
The second grouping of scores is mostly in red/orange, representing the AMD GPUs/APUs. For the red bars, Trinity and Llano both provide acceptable performance at our Value settings, and they’re still fast enough for the Mainstream settings—remember as we mentioned in the intro that Diablo III is actually quite playable at anything above 20 FPS. Once we hit our Enthusiast settings, both drop quite a bit; Trinity remains tolerable, but Llano definitely can’t keep up and you’d need to drop the Shadow Quality to Low at the very least for 1080p. Another really interesting piece of information we discover is that Trinity with it’s integrated GPU is still faster across the board than the HD 6630M (though there’s a possibility HD 6630M is being hurt by the outdated drivers). As for the three way HD 6630M comparison, CPU performance does appear to help a bit—the i7-2640M is typically slightly faster than the i5-2410M and A8-3500M—but the largest spread is only 15% at our Value settings; at Mainstream the gap drops a bit to 10-12%, while at Enthusiast it’s under 10%. Given the frame rates, the extra 15% never really means the difference between unplayable and playable; all three laptops with HD 6630M tend to handle up to our Mainstream settings quite well.

The bottom line is that even Diablo III can't be played at max settings which for some or even most serious gamers is a potential problem. In either event for HTPC a G530 or G620 plus cheap gaming/HTPC card is a better option, imo.

post #12 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotzen View Post

A6-3500
i3-3225

Kind of apples to oranges performance and price wise. The former costs half the latter (cpu only). A8 is a closer price /performance match at 100USD but ~double the TDP.
post #13 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM

yes, I am comparing TDP-wise as my "heat-budget" is limited.
post #14 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So when is trinity coming out? I'm all set of getting i5 3570K (mostly for HTPC/transcoding and occasional gaming) but if Trinity will be better and cheaper, I might just wait.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #15 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

So when is trinity coming out? I'm all set of getting i5 3570K (mostly for HTPC/transcoding and occasional gaming) but if Trinity will be better and cheaper, I might just wait.

"Trinity parts are expected to launch in a few weeks and a US"

"The pre-order price for the A4-5300 dual-core is $59.60, which sounds fair for a 3.4GHz/3.7GHz part with 1MB of L2 cache and HD 7480D graphics. The black edition A6-5400K comes in at $73.59. It is clocked at 3.6GHz and it can hit 3.8GHz on Turbo and it features beefier HD 7540D graphics. Both dual-core parts are rated at 65W.

In the quad-core world, AMD offers the A8-5500 for $109 and the A8-5600K is also listed at $109. The 5500 is clocked at 3.2GHz/3.7GHz and it has a 65W TDP, while the 5600K runs at 3.6GHz/3.9GHz, but it ends up with a 100W TDP rating. Both have 4MB of cache and HD 7560D graphics.

The A10-5700 and A10-5800K follow the same pattern and both cost $131. The 5700 is a 65W part, clocked at 3.4GHz base and 4.GHz turbo, while the 100-watt 5800K runs at 3.8GHz/4.2GHz. Both have HD 7660D graphics and 4MB of L2 cache."

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28599-desktop-trinity-listed-in-us-affordable-pricing-revealed
post #16 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Its looking like the A8-5500 will be the trinity for HTPC quad core at 65W, replacing the A6- 3500 llano as the sweet spot.
post #17 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely cheaper than a core i5 and better for gaming, but transcoding will be better on core i5. Although I think some software is starting to use the whole APU for transcoding in which case trinity might do very well for this.
post #18 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, it seems like I'm back to the planning phase again because Trinity does look a better buy for HTPC/transcoding purpose (with some gaming)

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #19 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think we should withhold judgement until the product is actually out and tested.

post #20 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM

I wonder whether the A6-3500 with its 3 cores stays for bang/buck or is "replaced" by the new trinity 2-cores?
post #21 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Definitely cheaper than a core i5 and better for gaming, but transcoding will be better on core i5. Although I think some software is starting to use the whole APU for transcoding in which case trinity might do very well for this.

Quote:

OK, it seems like I'm back to the planning phase again because Trinity does look a better buy for HTPC/transcoding purpose (with some gaming)
There seems to be a lot more development going on using QuickSync so I believe Intel has the edge in transcoding.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #22 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

There seems to be a lot more development going on using QuickSync so I believe Intel has the edge in transcoding.

Probably, its the safer bet just using cpu grunt anyways.
post #23 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Once Trinity comes out Haswell will be right around the corner smile.gif.

Long live socket 1150!

post #24 of 51 Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Once Trinity comes out Haswell will be right around the corner smile.gif.
Long live socket 1150!

Yes I suppose that we can always hold out for the next best thing at some point dive-in. The only reason I felt the Trinity was a decent compare to i3 Ivy Bridge release was that I probably wouldn't be putting my system together this month anyway. Of course by putting off the decision on the chip itself that also puts everything else on hold.

Assassin in reference to your point, about waiting for it to be tested, is it fair to say i3 Ivy has been run through the ringer? As far as the gaming I have no issue saying no, I just figured if Diablo might work it might give him another option but I've already said to him to do most of your gaming on 360. However you mentioned you didn't think any of those chips were good for me, are you referencing gaming only or that I have 4 Roku's that might use Plex? I assume if gaming is out any of those chips are back in.
post #25 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Serius gaming is what I was referencing.

post #26 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the low end Ivy Bridge pricing. $100 for a Pentium is just plain silly when you can get a Sandy Bridge Pentium for almost half that or an i3-2100 for a tad more. Are these prices artificially high because Intel hasn't completely ramped up production yet or maybe Intel is trying to clear out it's Sandy Bridge inventory?
post #27 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the low end Ivy Bridge pricing. $100 for a Pentium is just plain silly when you can get a Sandy Bridge Pentium for almost half that or an i3-2100 for a tad more. Are these prices artificially high because Intel hasn't completely ramped up production yet or maybe Intel is trying to clear out it's Sandy Bridge inventory?

That's not the low end Ivy pricing.

post #28 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think we should withhold judgement until the product is actually out and tested.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-trinity-apu,3241.html

Should be close to final trinity.
post #29 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:

That's not the low end Ivy pricing.

Fair enough, I just looked at Newegg & saw they have 7 different versions of the Sandy Bridge Pentium, I had no idea there were so many.
post #30 of 51 Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-trinity-apu,3241.html
Should be close to final trinity.

Trinity should be a little more optimized at launch but it looks like the quad core will be at least a match cpu wise for core i3, the iGPU is at least double performance, same TDP 65W, and probably about the same price. Sounds like a viable option to me.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page