Best HTPC Setup for multiroom? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all - first post:

I am looking for some advice on the best HTPC configuration.

I have a WMC PC hooked up to multiple TV's now, but only by splitting the HDMI, so it is the exact same content at each TV. I've never reasearched other options, but I know they are out there.

I am moving and can start from scratch, so I'm hoping someone can point me to a good example where someone else has already done the work. I want to:

Continue to use WMC (unless there is a way better option)
Use cable input for live TV
Stream to multiple TV's in the house and show different content on each (up to 4)
Access all content (or as much as possible) at each TV
Use my phone as a remote
If possible, have little to no hardware visible in the room. (hang TV in kitchen, control from phone, No Box)

Any info helps
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Hi JMH, I just posted about this kind of solution for someone on another thread. You should use built extenders for the additional TV's. Go to assassinhtpc.com and look at their extenders for the idea. Not saying buy from there but that's what you should do. With that you will be able to watch cable on all TVs, access all content, and use Logitech touch mouse to use phone as remote. You would still be able to use WMC too.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbaskety View Post

Hi JMH, I just posted about this kind of solution for someone on another thread. You should use built extenders for the additional TV's. Go to assassinhtpc.com and look at their extenders for the idea. Not saying buy from there but that's what you should do. With that you will be able to watch cable on all TVs, access all content, and use Logitech touch mouse to use phone as remote. You would still be able to use WMC too.

Did Assasin figure out how to soft sled the extender?

Does it play copy once Live/recorded content?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Did Assasin figure out how to soft sled the extender?
Does it play copy once Live/recorded content?

No, I have not and no it does not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Echo.. Very small. Coming soon.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Assassin,

I have searched various forums and haven't really gotten perfect answers to my specific questions. I am a Comcast subscriber for internet and television in Macomb, MI. The WAF and K(kid)AF require that we have various cable content such as HBO-HD, TNT-HD, A&E-HD, Nick-HD, OWN, etc. I don't mind paying for content to be delivered to my home, but I am unwilling to pay fee-per-television for the content that I buy.

I have just purchased a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime, which I would like to share with 6 televisions (never used more than 3 simultaneously) in my home. I have not yet received the HDHRP. Currently, I have 1 Comcast DVR, 2 digital to analog cable boxes, and 3 DTA converters. I just bought a 26-inch LCD TV to replace a 19-inch CRT TV for my kitchen and Comcast wants an extra $10/mo. to get content that I already buy to the new TV. Um, no.

It appears from the research that I've done, that Xbox 360 units are the best way to deliver the cable content to each of the sets in my home. The best price that I've found for Xbox 360 units is $100 used on local craigslist. I would like to return all Comcast equipment and just get an M card from them. Xbox 360 would pay for itself in 10 months, but I don't care about gaming. I think I want a quad-core Ivy-bridge HTPC solution, with 5 - 6 extensions.

I would appreciate recommendations for appropriate equipment. If recommendations for extenders cost more than $100, please provide rationale for why they are superior to the Xbox 360 units that I am considering buying.

Thank you,

Dennis Wise
post #7 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTcoveter View Post

Assassin,

I have searched various forums and haven't really gotten perfect answers to my specific questions. I am a Comcast subscriber for internet and television in Macomb, MI. The WAF and K(kid)AF require that we have various cable content such as HBO-HD, TNT-HD, A&E-HD, Nick-HD, OWN, etc. I don't mind paying for content to be delivered to my home, but I am unwilling to pay fee-per-television for the content that I buy.
I have just purchased a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime, which I would like to share with 6 televisions (never used more than 3 simultaneously) in my home. I have not yet received the HDHRP. Currently, I have 1 Comcast DVR, 2 digital to analog cable boxes, and 3 DTA converters. I just bought a 26-inch LCD TV to replace a 19-inch CRT TV for my kitchen and Comcast wants an extra $10/mo. to get content that I already buy to the new TV. Um, no.
It appears from the research that I've done, that Xbox 360 units are the best way to deliver the cable content to each of the sets in my home. The best price that I've found for Xbox 360 units is $100 used on local craigslist. I would like to return all Comcast equipment and just get an M card from them. Xbox 360 would pay for itself in 10 months, but I don't care about gaming. I think I want a quad-core Ivy-bridge HTPC solution, with 5 - 6 extensions.
I would appreciate recommendations for appropriate equipment. If recommendations for extenders cost more than $100, please provide rationale for why they are superior to the Xbox 360 units that I am considering buying.
Thank you,
Dennis Wise

Right now XBox is the only game in town for WMC extenders for flagged content. The major drawback to the XBox is that its one dimensional and that's all it can really do. The HTPC can do it all hardware wise and its only because of Microsoft/Hollywood/CableCompaines that it can't act as an extender as well.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Assassin,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not delighted with the choice, but I don't want to keep renting cable boxes. I think I still need 1 HTPC to be the "DVR" for my network and then I should be able to access any of the tuners and all recorded content from any of the XBOX extenders. Are there specific models of Xbox that I should look for? If I were to find a used WMC extender by another manufacturer like Linksys or D-Link, do they have any advantages or disadvantages? I'm looking for the least expensive solution to reliably deliver premium HD content to which I susbscribe to all of my devices.

Thanks for your help,

HTCoveter
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The other extenders have been discontinued for a few years. I have a 360 and a Linksys DMA 2100. The Xbox has a prettier interface and can play a few more file types. Both work great for live tv and recorded programs but suffer when you want to rip hd video.

The newer Xbox 360s are a bit quieter and supposedly more efficient.

If you want to just just the system as a DVR any of them will work equally well, with the Niveus Edge probably being the best and 360 right behind (the Edge was a super expensive custom 360 with a massive heat sink and no gaming capabilities). The other extenders can play tv just fine but will limit what you can rip dvds and bluray to.

The Ceton Echo is a next gen extender arriving soon.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page