Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Current Owner of 1 Ceton PCIe InfiniTV

I am happy with it .. no complaints there

This past weekend .. I opened up my man cave for CFB and collectively we decided we needed a couple more tv's in the cave

What i have and am doing to date

1 htpc/server ( CETON Cable Card equipped ) Located in closet
1 HTPC @ Projector (Assigned 1 Tuner .. Net Share)
1 HTPC @ BED 1 (Assigned 1 Tuner .. Net Share)
1 XBOX360 @ BED 2
1 XBOX360 @ BED 3

So I want to add 2 more HTPC / TV Combo...

Is the ceton network wizard only going to let me assign a tuner statically ?
Has anyone figured a way for dynamic assignment as needed ?
Is my best bet to probably get the USB tuner and another cable card the the server for sharing ?

It appears the upcoming Ceton Q and Echo will do dynamic assignment of tuners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime will let you do what you want. You connect it to your home network and install the software on each PC you want to share it with. WMC will discover the tuners and allocate all of them to that PC, but they'll all be available to any PC on an as-needed basis. If you're using extenders then you'll access them via the PC the extender is tied to. If you're using it in conjunction with an InfiniTV4 you'll need to run Tuner Salad Footlong on the PC with the Ceton in order to increase the tuner limit beyond the 4-tuner limit imposed by WMC.
bradcampbell likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
the ceton card automatically removes the tuner limit when the drivers are installed
post #4 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Get rid of the 2 additional HTPCs that have statically assigned tuners, and use Extenders/XBOX. You can have up to 5 extenders on at the same time, but you can add as many to the system as you want, you will just be limited to 5 on at the same time.

Also, if a lot of the programming you view is on broadcast TV, add cheap ATSC, or Clear QAM tuners , and assign those to unencrypted channels, thereby preserving the Ceton tuners for channels that need the cable card decryption.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

the ceton card automatically removes the tuner limit when the drivers are installed
The way I understand it, the InfiniTV4 driver only removes the limit if the other tuners are also Ceton InfiniTV4's. If you use a different type of cablecard tuner you'll still need to use Tuner Salad Footlong. If this is incorrect then someone please set me straight. I don't wish to be spreading misinformation.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My understanding is the tuner limit increase "requires" a ceton tuner but doesn't care what the others are... I heard a rumor at one time that someone had just installed the driver and it worked for all the other cablecard tuners even if their was no ceton in place but I never tried that and things may have changed. I do know of someone who had two ati cards and added the ceton and got all 6 cablecard tuners. (On the otherhand, I've also heard of people having bad luck with combining the old ATI's and the 2 newer tuners, SD & Ceton, so I do think it can go either way.

In this particular case with using multiple HTPCs, the tuner limit would not need to be increased anyway as each HTPC can have 4 but with the ceton the tuners are statically defined rather than dynamically shared.

I also agree that it would be much simpler with using extenders on the TVs rather than 2 new htpc's however it may desirable to assign either a new ceton or SD tuner to one or 2 htpc's and run a couple of the extenders from them especially since the OP has more than one already.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Alright,

Thax for the helpful info

Think i am going to sit on it awhile longer and hold out for Ceton's Echo
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page