HDCP End Points - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having some trouble with HDMI HDCP errors in my new Home Theater system. My setup is:
HTPC -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI -> TV

An HDCP compliant connection is required to play Blu-Ray disks from the HTPC. Although my HTPC successfully establishes an HDCP compliant connection when connected directly to the TV, it gets an HDCP error when connected through the AVR. My understanding of the HDCP protocol is that it requires a full end-to-end compliance from the source (the HTPC) to the display (TV).

My question is, on the source (HTPC) end, what exactly is the HDCP end point? That is, what establishes the HDCP connection on the HTPC end? Is it the Intel integrated graphics controller (which is where the HDMI cable connects)? Is it the internal Blu-Ray disk player (where the HD content originates)? Is it the CyberLink Blu-Ray player software? Which of these is actually responsible for setting up the HDCP protocol on the source end of the chain?

I am hoping that this answer will help me to troubleshoot exactly what it is in the HTPC that can't negotiate the HDCP connection through the AVR, but can negotiate the connection directly with the TV. Other devices (dedicated Blu-Ray player) can play through the AVR to the TV just fine. Has anyone actually solved this kind of connection problem from an HTPC to an AVR? Or do you normally use solutions like AnyDVD HD to just remove the restrictions rather than fixing the the HDCP connection errors?

<<<< Clay >>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Take a look at this post.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Take a look at this post.
Thanks for the link to the nice troubleshooting guide. I will try the HDMI HDCP reset procedure and see if I can get any better results. Still doesn't answer the question as to whether the Intel HD Graphics interface is actually the HDCP end point or if something ahead of it in the HTPC actually initiates the protocol.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page