Amazon to take the place of Netflix streaming (Netflix can focus on BD rentals again) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

It's been a struggle for me to play Netflix Silverlight-flavored VC1 video streaming without stuttering ever since they switched from WMV.  Even though, I've never had issues with VC1 for my bluray movies.

Amazon video playback has consistently worked well for me; but never wanted to pay per-movie/TV show; unless I REALLY wanted it.

It looks like all will be for the better... Since Amazon won the video rights to Epix.

This should hopefully mean Netflix can focus once again on Bluray movie rentals; where the movies will actually be available for frequent customers who want first-run movies; maybe, even making 3D BD's readily available.

and... Amazon Prime members (which Im already a member) will be able to watch streaming movies/TV shows for without a per-show/movie cost.

http://money.msn.com/technology-investment/news.aspx?feed=AP&date=20120904&id=15515514

Win-Win if that happens!  If Amazon starts to rent bluray movies and TV shows, then Netflix is in big trouble!

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Netflix still can distribut EPIX for a couple more years; they just lost exclusive rights to do it.

IDK if there is a WMC plugin for amazon video though.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there any device (BD) that has a better user interface to Amazon streaming? There web site really sucks from across the room with a K400 keyboard.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I already has EPIX HD channel on my account for free. I mainly use Netflix streaming for foreign movies and BD rental for all US releases. So that doesn't attract me at all. Besides, Netflix players are on most devices I have. Amazon player, not so much. And since I like nothing but free shipping (no, Premium membership is not free shipping), I have no intention to ever pay for Premium membership. So that's two strikes against Amazon streaming.

IMO, the only thing that can de-thrown Netflix is Netflix itself by continuing screwing its royal customers. I'm very close to close my account due to their rate hike last year.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Im sure that Amazon VIdeo probably doesn't sound too attractive yet.  But, I do see Amazon Streaming taking the place of Netflix Streaming because of content for "unlimited" streaming.  This would also shift hardware vendor focus as well.  While I doubt there would be significant firmware upgrades in current model STB's, there will probably be a whole new generation of Amazon Video clients right around the corner.

As far HTPC's go; which is what this forum is all about... I have a feeling things are just going to get better especially since Amazon is PC-friendly; unlike services such as Vudu.  Plus, Amazon Streaming already works better than Netflix on most PCs.  Netflix never quite got it right with Silverlight/VC1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post

Is there any device (BD) that has a better user interface to Amazon streaming? There web site really sucks from across the room with a K400 keyboard.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:

+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is an interesting development. I am a cord-cutter, but I do buy select current TV shows from Amazon VOD. I download the .wmv files with Amazon Unbox, but I play them back with WMP because with my AMD graphics card, it looks like blocky half-resolution junk when played back directly in Amazon Unbox player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Netflix still can distribut EPIX for a couple more years; they just lost exclusive rights to do it.
IDK if there is a WMC plugin for amazon video though.
I tried right-clicking on one of my Amazon .wmv files and selecting "Open With -> Windows Media Center", and it doesn't know how to play it, but it plays fine in Windows Media Player.

I still use Netflix for renting BDs/DVDs, but I dropped their streaming service because their streaming quality was junk and the selection isn't near as good as their disc selection.

Bazinga!

post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I gave up on Netflix streaming when they added the additional charge. Blu-ray by mail has been pretty good for a while and with two at once I could get about four movies a week. But the last two weeks turn around has slowed. I don't know if that is Netflix's fault or the post office. Also the web site has gotten glitchy. So, I hope it all gets back on track and Netflix makes some of the disks available that I have had on my list for a long time with no expected release date.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page