Yay or nay to my HTPC (xbmc) Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Almost as cheap as possible is the idea here, the intel route I would go would add 100+ easily to the build and I just can't swing that right now.

My biggest concern is ease of use, is the amd route stable and fairly problem free once set up correctly? (pretty much 99% XBMC)

Here is what I have so far.

I know the case is ugly but it will be mostly out of sight and has room for 5 HD's per assassins hardware guide, It would be nice to store a lot of my media locally on the machine. 3TB HD's down the road.

Thanks in advance guys.

// edit

I already own a few hard drives that I will use for now until I can free up some funds for a SSD primary drive. Other than a hard drive and input devices (those can wait too) Cheapo walmart mouse and keyboard for now will work. Am I missing anything?

110" DIY screen and lossless audio makes me never want to leave the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninfamous View Post

Almost as cheap as possible is the idea here, the intel route I would go would add 100+ easily to the build and I just can't swing that right now.
My biggest concern is ease of use, is the amd route stable and fairly problem free once set up correctly? (pretty much 99% XBMC)
Here is what I have so far.
I know the case is ugly but it will be mostly out of sight and has room for 5 HD's per assassins hardware guide, It would be nice to store a lot of my media locally on the machine. 3TB HD's down the road.

Thanks in advance guys.
// edit
I already own a few hard drives that I will use for now until I can free up some funds for a SSD primary drive. Other than a hard drive and input devices (those can wait too) Cheapo walmart mouse and keyboard for now will work. Am I missing anything?

If you don't need 3D intel is cheaper than AMD, fwiw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's not forget that Intel integrated graphics have frame locking issues.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7

They say its fixed via BIOS but I have yet to see it confirmed via testing and likely only applies to their latest ivy bridge.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapeal View Post

Let's not forget that Intel integrated graphics have frame locking issues.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7
They say its fixed via BIOS but I have yet to see it confirmed via testing and likely only applies to their latest ivy bridge.

That article is fairly out-of-date. While the problem still exists it's to a lesser extent and is not just an Intel issue but also ATI/AMD and NVIDIA, integrated or discrete GPU. There is a very long thread on this subject with a lot of research: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-set-this-straight-no-one-can-do-24p-consistently-well.

The A6-3500 is $69.99 at Amazon.com. If you'd just doing 1080p 2D however the Celeron G530 will perform equally as well and can be found for $44.99. Either one works great for 1080p.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page