HTPC Can't get 5.1 sound over HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm troubleshooting an issue with my HTPC, trying to determine why I can never get signal to my Center or Surround speakers.

When I attempt to configure my HDMI audio drivers, the system never detects 5.1 capability and provides only the option "Stereo". I have installed/reinstalled the Realtek HDA drivers and the Realtek ATI HDMI driver, but no dice.

At this point I'm not sure if the issue is a problem with my Players, Codecs, Sound controller, Video card HDMI audio capability, the TV, or the receiver. Any advice you could provide in narrowing the feild somewhat would be most appreciated.
Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Some TVs can only pass stereo. Try connecting to the avr first, then the tv.

Is the audio stream DD or DTS?

Here's an issue another person has encountered: http://www.avforums.com/forums/10096388-post1.html
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM

you have run the speaker setup in wmc. when i turn my reciver on it goes to lpcm. I have to turn the recever off and back on to get 5.1 to work.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Have you tried:

HTPC -> Reciever -> TV?
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Does your receiver have HDMI or S/PDIF input? The best way to go is this^^ if it does.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys,

I agree it would be optimal if I could run the signal through the receiver first. Unfortunately it is an 5+ year old model (Onkyo HT-R330), and does not support any HD video ports.
The reason I have it going through the TV first is so the kids only have to switch one input channel to get all the devices working (Cable, PC, Wii, PS3, etc) of which 3 run at HD.

I've tried a number of source stream types including DTS, DD. The receiver does say it recognizes a DTS stream (indicator changes from pcm to dts) when I play a given file, but the surround and center channels don't get any signal regardless of format. I'll try powercycling it as you suggest @tootal2.

My receiver and my PC support SPDIF, so I could wire them directly, but it does mean that we will have to switch both the TV and the receiver. not optimal but probably reasonable. The receiver treats each digital input differently than it does between AV input devices, but you can switch between them, albeit clumsily.

I know I'm working with some '08 technology here. Could I bypass the issue with an AV switcher? they were prohibitively expensive last I checked. might as well by a new receiver like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120194
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Can you go S/PDIF for audio from the HTPC to the AVR and then go VGA or DVI from the HTPC to the HDTV?

I'm not sure if the HTPC will do that in Win7 though.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

for now I wired the spdif out on the pc to the receiver and disabled hdmi audio, so HDMI video and SPDIF audio. it works, and I get full 5.1 with DTS. still need to test DD. unfortunately that means that we need to switch the TVs input channel and the receivers digital input (from coax to Optical). not optimal but passable.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. it would be nice if I could pass sound through via hdmi.

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by endotherm View Post

I agree it would be optimal if I could run the signal through the receiver first. Unfortunately it is an 5+ year old model (Onkyo HT-R330), and does not support any HD video ports.
The reason I have it going through the TV first is so the kids only have to switch one input channel to get all the devices working (Cable, PC, Wii, PS3, etc) of which 3 run at HD.
I've tried a number of source stream types including DTS, DD. The receiver does say it recognizes a DTS stream (indicator changes from pcm to dts) when I play a given file, but the surround and center channels don't get any signal regardless of format. I'll try powercycling it as you suggest @tootal2.
My receiver and my PC support SPDIF, so I could wire them directly, but it does mean that we will have to switch both the TV and the receiver. not optimal but probably reasonable. The receiver treats each digital input differently than it does between AV input devices, but you can switch between them, albeit clumsily.
I know I'm working with some '08 technology here. Could I bypass the issue with an AV switcher? they were prohibitively expensive last I checked. might as well by a new receiver like this one:
$299 including FREE S/H is a no-brainer to achieve a fully-integrated solution which would have you ready for multiple HDMI sources... Just do it!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by endotherm View Post

That particular receiver doesn't include any room equalization settings. I would rather get a used receiver with some sort of room equalization such as Audyssey or YPAO than a new receiver without any equalization.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
If you don't want to get a new receiver, you should at least get a Harmony remote. It can be programmed to do the input switching for you as part of an activity so will be a lot easier to use. Plus it is useful for controlling all your gadgets including the new receiver that you will probably have to buy at some point.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page