Intel IGP HDMI handshaking woes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've built quite a few HTPCs over the years and never had any issue with HDMI handshaking with my 5-year old Samsung HDTV. All that changed after I built my latest system using the Intel DH77DF board with an i3-2120 CPU with HD graphics 2000 IGP.

The issue is that when switching between HDMI inputs, sometimes the DH77DF outputs a snowy screen or blank screen. Unplugging the HDMI cable, power cycling the HDTV or changing the resolution on the PC (done via remote desktop) would fix the problem. So all these are symptoms of bad HDMI handshaking.

Thinking it might be an EDID issue, I tried EDID override using moninfo, but without any luck in fixing the problem.

I then found out that the problem exists even when the DH77DF is sitting in BIOS. So I'm guessing there's no software solution to this.

Is this an HDMI 1.3 (Samsung from 2007) and HDMI 1.4 (DH77DF) compatibility issue? Would getting an HDMI 1.4 compliant cable help? Or is this strictly an Intel screwup with the H77/chipset/BIOS? I've had other older Intel IGPs/chipsets (G45, H55 chipset with HD embedded in i3-530) but never had this issue.

Btw I was able to come up with a hack using the Harmony remote to work around this issue. It involves first switching to an unused HDMI input on the Samsung and then switching to the HDMI port to which the HTPC is directly connected. Not sure why this works.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page