HTPC WMC DVR quesion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have built a server using assassin's guide. I am now looking to build 3 htpc's for under $400 each. Reading through his htpc guides, it is not clear to me if the content that is DVR'd on one htpc is available to the other htpc's on the network. When you record on one computer, can you store it on the server and it will show up for other users, or is this content specific to each DVR? I can see how the dvd/bd rips are available to everything on the server.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is this over the air content? If so, then you're fine. Or is it cable? Some channels from cable companies are encrypted, and the recordings can only be played back on the original computer (or a WMC extender like the Xbox 360).
post #3 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Using Win 7 you set them all up as Media Libraries and each sees them all. You mentioned using WMC as a DVR but never mentioned any tuners. Will each of these have their own tuners? HDHomeRun (Prime)? With local tuners ONLY that PC can see the tuner, whih a SD you can share the tuners over your LAN. Again, you can use the library concept or move them to your server one by one...
post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
For the cost of one of the HTPC's you can get 3 XBOXes or if you can find original Media Center Extenders that will play all of your recorded TV content, encrypted and flagged.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
For non-copy-once flagged content (OTA, unencrypted cable) you're better off using something like MCE Buddy to convert the wtv files to mkv or something and then use a media streamer to stream to TVs around the house (WD Live for example).

For copy-once content, you need to use an extender - either Xbox 360 today or Ceton Echo (hopefully soon).

In either case, multiple HTPCs is not necessary and is actually more of a hassle than the alternatives. Just have one HTPC that houses your whole library and then use one of the above methods.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

For non-copy-once flagged content (OTA, unencrypted cable) you're better off using something like MCE Buddy to convert the wtv files to mkv or something and then use a media streamer to stream to TVs around the house (WD Live for example).

Just FYI, I believe Plex Media Server can handle WTV files and transcode them on the fly.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Just FYI, I believe Plex Media Server can handle WTV files and transcode them on the fly.

I haven't tried on-the-fly transcoding but its a very cool concept. My HTPC is only a Sandy Bridge G630 though so probably underpowered. What I like about MCE Buddy is the scheduling ability (mine wakes the PC and coverts at 5am) and the commercial removal. It also supports a powerful naming tool if you want to organise the transcoded files.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

For copy-once content, you need to use an extender - either Xbox 360 today or Ceton Echo (hopefully soon).
In either case, multiple HTPCs is not necessary and is actually more of a hassle than the alternatives. Just have one HTPC that houses your whole library and then use one of the above methods.

I'm not familiar with Ceton Echo (hopefully it can do everything!) but an extender instead of a HTPC in each room is not always an option. Case in point, BD ISO and BD quality MKVs. I don't know of any extender that supports BD ISO or DTS-HD audio and most cannot handle the high bitrate video (especially XBox 360).
post #9 of 14 Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
We're all hoping that the Ceton Echo will support mkv playback of BD movies. There's been all sorts of speculation about what it will support, but we won't know for sure until it begins beta testing later this month. It doesn't look like Ceton is trying top keep the lid on during the beta testing period so chances are the testers (I'm on the list) can freely discuss their experience with the Echo during the trial.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
first, I cannot comment on encrypted material that was DVRed. I only have limited basic cable (channels 2-33), which is basically OTA through cable.

In my experience, I have been able to share media on multiple computers. In WIndows 7, you just need to setup your homegroup, and media sharing. It's pretty easy. Just get the homegroup code, and enter in the other PCs. The media sharing is just going into media center telling it where the libraries for recorded TV. This is slightly different from telling media center where you store your video files. But the prior will let you delete on the non-recording machine. It may also give you access to that encrypted material as well.

Plex can play WTV files. The scraper doesn't work very well for WTV files because of the default naming function of media center, but they're working on it: linky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex Blog 
Plex Media Server v0.9.6.5
July 02nd, 2012
FIX: Pass more hints along to agents, useful for WTV work.

You may want to check out this thread on how to get the files to show up in the libraries.

I have tried out WTV files, and they do play. I haven't tried out the WTV files with the new update to see if the scrappers are working correctly for WTV files under television shows.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
By personal experience I can tell you other PCs cannot play copy once cable card content while extenders can.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I am using the HD Homerun tuners for OTA only.

Is it best to set WMC to record on each individual HTPC and share each folder, or can I get away with setting up a folder on the main server and each htpc would record to the server?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydct View Post

I am using the HD Homerun tuners for OTA only.
Is it best to set WMC to record on each individual HTPC and share each folder, or can I get away with setting up a folder on the main server and each htpc would record to the server?

I prefer to record from one HTPC to minimize tuner conflicts.
I have one HTPC with an extra HDD for WTV storage. Then I use MCE Buddy to removed commercials and place the file in shared folders for the other devices.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 17
I think the best thing to do is to record most of the stuff on the HTPC you use the most and share that folder with the network. Since there is no resume on pc clients.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page