HDMI audio driver works fine after install and initial restart (7.1). Stuttering audio as soon as Windows is shut down/restarts. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

New to the forums, so I'm hoping I'm posting in the right location, as this is a HTPC technical related issue.

Just built a new gaming rig/HTPC. I hooked everything up, installed all drivers, left the video card for the last part and started running into a huge annoyance that's kept me scratching my head the last 2 days.

I went as far as a fresh Windows 7 x64 install, without doing any updates, leaving the ATI Catalyst 12.8 to be installed last (drivers-wise). The video drivers including the AMD HDMI audio driver install just fine and work perfect after the initial restart - 7.1 surround tests out fine on each speaker in Playback devices. As soon as I shut the computer down, however, I run into what I'm guessing is some driver issue. Doesn't matter if I hook up through the receiver or directly to the TV, the sound stutters as it's being tested (it doesn't completely cut it off, but instead of going DAHDING......DAHDING....etc (from each speaker), I'll receive interruptions like DAHD*click*ing....da*click*HDING....etc.). When hooked up to the receiver, the output seems to erratically switch from DDIIx + THX Music to just THX Music. When it switches to THX Music, I get the super low output out of the speakers (the "ing....da" in "DAHDing.......daHDING"). The same thing happens just with stereo output directly to the TV (the interruptions or stuttering).

Can somebody please point me in the right direction, as I am currently stumped. I've also attempted Realtek drivers before the fresh Windows install, and it seemed to have the same effect.

Greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am guessing you want to stream HD audio to your receiver (via some codec pack and a player, e.g. Shark007). If this is the case, set the audio to 2.0 in the windows speaker configuration, then set to pass-through in the Shark007 configuration.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Sounds like it may be having trouble maintaining an audio connection with your avr or tv. Have you tried a different hdmi cable and a different input on the tv and avr?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I will try this out and let you guys know how it goes, but I feel like if it work initially for hours, it should be able to retain that configuration. Just as soon as the PC restarts I go back to the interruptions in signal, as if the audio quality is set to something too high, but I've been doing testing on the default 48KHz and after initial restart I get hours of normal playback rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

^ I was referring to trying Shark007.

As far as the cable goes, before I built my PC it's been running 7.1 off the ps3 through the avr for over 6 months, so I highly doubt it's the cabling or the avr, but thanks for the suggestion smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasuit View Post

^ I was referring to trying Shark007.
As far as the cable goes, before I built my PC it's been running 7.1 off the ps3 through the avr for over 6 months, so I highly doubt it's the cabling or the avr, but thanks for the suggestion smile.gif

I had a Patriot Box Office which I used to playback 1080p/24 video and bistream HD audio (DTS-HD MA and TrueHD). Everything was perfect for months until I switched to a Pivos Aios media player. After the switch, I kept getting hdmi handshaking issues. Once I changed the hdmi cable, the handshaking issued went away.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Fixed the problem by first installing 12.4 catalyst, followed by 12.8 with the hdmi audio driver disabled. Full 7.1 surround from games! biggrin.gif Just gotta switch the receiver to "external stereo surround" every time I watch a video with 2ch audio.rolleyes.gif Either that, or I may look into having AC3 filter do that for me automatically. This was with an ATI Radeon 7950 card, btw. Thanks for everyone's input though:)!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page