Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having issues playing 5.1/DTS on my receiver/HTPC. Here is my set up

Denon 1609
MB - GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H
Video card - 5450 ATI

Hook up:
Not using any HDMI connection on the Denon as it doesn't handle Audio over HDMI (knew this when I bought it....for $169 bucks hehe).

PC is hooked up using HDMI on the 5450 > TV and I have an Optical going from TV back to Receiver (in order for Smart TV sound to work)
I also have analog connection from PC to Receiver for Zone 2 playback (kitchen).

So on my PC, Audio options for HDMI and Optical are limited to 2 channels. I'm starting to find out that my motherboard only handles 2 channels over optical....so I'm focusing on HDMI for now.

Currently HDMI is only 2 channels. Is there any way to get 5.1 or DTS on my receiver?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So to clarify, your issue isn't that you don't get audio from DTS/DD, but that it only plays in 2 channel instead of 5.1?

If so, your problem is the way you have the audio connected to your receiver. A SPDIF optical cable needs to go from your PC directly to your receiver. When it goes through your TV, your TV is taking that DD/DTS signal and downgrading it to 2 channel. TVs (at least most) cannot pass untouched DTS/DD. You'll then need to set that SPDIF connection as your default sound device under your Windows sound properties. You will still only hear 2 channel audio, except when you play something that has DD/DTS. Windows will (you may have to tell the program to do so) pass the DTS/DD signal untouched to the receiver and the receiver will decode and play in 5.1. You'll know it is working because your receiver will light up in some fasion, typically with the DD or DTS logo.

If you want everything in 5.1, then you need a sound card that supports DTS Connect or DD Live. Either of these will encode, on-the-fly, a 6-channel analog audio PC signal to 5.1 DTS or DD that a receiver can decode.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM

As jr said, your TV isn't going to pass anything but 2 channel stereo through it. Time to buy a new receiver. Something that doesn't work is not a good deal even for $169.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just add an OPTICAL from PC to AVR to pass SPDIF. JR was right (in his middle paragraph). You don't need any other sound card if the PC has OPTICAL. Keep your PC configured as 2-ch Stereo and the OPTICAl will pass DD/DTS based on the application using PASSTHROUGH and the analog will continue to be decoded in the PC's (on-board) sound card to supply analog for your zone 2.

Let us know...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

So to clarify, your issue isn't that you don't get audio from DTS/DD, but that it only plays in 2 channel instead of 5.1?
If so, your problem is the way you have the audio connected to your receiver. A SPDIF optical cable needs to go from your PC directly to your receiver. When it goes through your TV, your TV is taking that DD/DTS signal and downgrading it to 2 channel.

It is connected this way to a reciever.

I was able to figure it out. I had to install latest Win7 64bit driver from Gigabyte website. I forgot that initially the audio driver failed and Win7 loaded a default one.

I got it to work in DTS/5.1 now. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

TVs (at least most) cannot pass untouched DTS/DD. You'll then need to set that SPDIF connection as your default sound device under your Windows sound properties. You will still only hear 2 channel audio, except when you play something that has DD/DTS. Windows will (you may have to tell the program to do so) pass the DTS/DD signal untouched to the receiver and the receiver will decode and play in 5.1. You'll know it is working because your receiver will light up in some fasion, typically with the DD or DTS logo.
If you want everything in 5.1, then you need a sound card that supports DTS Connect or DD Live. Either of these will encode, on-the-fly, a 6-channel analog audio PC signal to 5.1 DTS or DD that a receiver can decode.

My onboard sound card supports it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubwerks View Post

As jr said, your TV isn't going to pass anything but 2 channel stereo through it. Time to buy a new receiver. Something that doesn't work is not a good deal even for $169.

You are wrong. I checked with Samsung and they confirmed Optical pass thru in 5.1/DTS. I was able to get it to work.

NOTHING to do with my receiver. I just have Optical connected to TV and another one to PC....that's all I really need. Works great now.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page