wesena cases - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

has anyone ever built an HTPC with a very large HD capacity using a combination of the wesena e5/6/6v and wesena eHHD cases. The two cases stacked do no exceed 200mm height while maintaing a standard 430Wx390D dimensions. It's an expensive combination of about 400 english pounds or roughly 600$ but it does look great and seems to offer great storage capacity. It also requires an additional PSU, fans and esata card(s).

Using a e6/6v one would be able to build a standard height htpc or a low profile using the e5.

is there an equivalent single case? I was looking at the cheaper silverston LC20B-M (<200$) which provide for 6 HD but is 30mm deeper.

Pierre

EDIT: Links to cases https://www.wesena.co.uk/section.php/3/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaragi View Post

Hey,
has anyone ever built an HTPC with a very large HD capacity using a combination of the wesena e5/6/6v and wesena eHHD cases. The two cases stacked do no exceed 200mm height while maintaing a standard 430Wx390D dimensions. It's an expensive combination of about 400 english pounds or roughly 600$ but it does look great and seems to offer great storage capacity. It also requires an additional PSU, fans and esata card(s).
Using a e6/6v one would be able to build a standard height htpc or a low profile using the e5.
is there an equivalent single case? I was looking at the cheaper silverston LC20B-M (<200$) which provide for 6 HD but is 30mm deeper.
Pierre
EDIT: Links to cases https://www.wesena.co.uk/section.php/3/1

I use that exact Silverstone case. It is by far the best HTPC case I've ever used. I have 15 TB of storage in that case alone. It's got room for a fan on the hard drives. I have four silent fans in it, plus CPU fan, plus vid card fan, plus PSU fan and the thing is dead silent and built like a tank. I recently had a HD failure and had to swap one out. Took me about 10 minutes to get the drive replaced because the entire hard drive cage unscrews and pulls out.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the LC17B, which, I believe, has the same internal layout. Excellent case, but I had to go to a slimline case.

As to the question, I think you will have a hard time finding a less deep case with that much storage. The larger cases tend to be designed to allow space for an ATX board, which makes them deeper.

edit: Lian-Li PC-C50 and 60 come close to your criteria.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. I've looked at all of these cases and so far the only one that fits my "current" needs is the GD06B. Perfect at 350m depth but it is a tight fit to use all HD slots. The combination of E series cases will give me a comfortable fit and a min of 11 HD s at 390mm depth (bit more height too). The e series is not very easy to come by in Canada so I will start with the GD06 and then order and wait for the e series to arrive later (almost 4 times the price for the combo not to mention extra PSU and controllers).
post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaragi View Post

thanks for the reply. I've looked at all of these cases and so far the only one that fits my "current" needs is the GD06B. Perfect at 350m depth but it is a tight fit to use all HD slots. The combination of E series cases will give me a comfortable fit and a min of 11 HD s at 390mm depth (bit more height too). The e series is not very easy to come by in Canada so I will start with the GD06 and then order and wait for the e series to arrive later (almost 4 times the price for the combo not to mention extra PSU and controllers).

I'm looking at the GD04 which has a similar layout. I'm at 2x3.5" drives and a 2.5" now, so it will tide me over for a while.

You also might consider just throwing a NAS somewhere on the network. I had my server across the room until I needed something to record HD TV and needed something nearer the cable box and TV.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have considered the NAS option but opted instead to build my own media server/file server as part of my HTPC simply by choosing a case that can fit 4x3.5+1x2.5 drives (5+1 if you drop the optical drive).
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have considered the NAS option but opted instead to build my own media server/file server as part of my HTPC simply by choosing a case that can fit 4x3.5+1x2.5 drives (5+1 if you drop the optical drive).
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I ended up with a shallow iSTARUSA server case - google the D-412S3. Not saying it will work for you, but it is very shallow, and I think could hold more than the listed number of disks with a bit of creativity.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 AM

Hi,

Wesena.co.uk does not have anything to do with Wesena.com. Please see the official statement.:

Important Notice: The only official website for Wesena products & services is wesena.com.
Any other company or website that uses the Wesena name, logo or products, is not associated with and is in no way representative of Wesena, our products or services.
Through our partnership with Streacom, computer chassis are sold under the Streacom brand and should be purchased through official sales channels which can be found on the www.Streacom.com

http://wesena.com/official-wesena-website/

Thank you
Wesena
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 356
According to the above page, "ITX2", "ITX6", "ITX7" etc. under the "Wesena" brand are unauthorized products?

Perfect Home Theater in US looks to be an official sales channel in US, but they are still selling "Wesena ITX#" series. Very confusing.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Hi,

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/Streacom-chassis-and-parts_c40.htm

Is also an Authorized Streacom Reseller for the US:

http://www.streacom.com/where-to-buy/

For now, Perfecthometheater is selling under Wesena brand as well.

The purpose for this post, is that Wesena.co.uk is acting as Wesena.com and we are getting to many complaigns about this company, which we try to get the domain name from. The cases purchased from Wesena.co.uk are not real Wesena cases nor is Wesena.co.uk related to Wesena in anyway. We are starting a legal procdure against Wesena.co.uk

Wesena
post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 356
BTW why "F1C" and "F7C"? The naming scheme of all the other models is "FC#".
post #13 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I am surprised how many HTPC forums I am seeing this dirty laundry aired in smile.gif.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am using an Synology 1812+ server. Holds 8 drives and expandable to 18 with 4tb and larger drive support.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page