Anyone set up NES or Snes emulators on your HTPC with Mediabrowser??? Any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I did this a long time ago but never really used it.

I am currently about to begin building a new HTPC for myself personally and think I want to do it again.

Is much changed with this in last year or two? Anyone doing it now? How does it work?

I know GAMEBROWSER II is out for mediabrowser and I plan to use that. Much different than the original?

additionally,

What is the best way to organize my collection or ROM's and download metadata and album art.

Assassin guide originally suggested this:

http://www.lcssoftware.org/gamebrowser-meta/Gamebrowser-Meta.msi

I had used it previously- but it appears to be out of order or discontinued???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I am in the process of setting this up as well.

I'm going farther then you though. I'm bringing in all of my console gaming from Atari to PS2 and my PC games. Gamebrowser II looks great and its what has motivated me to finally put it all together. I have always wanted one interface to get to ALL of my media, but emulation was always tougher to bring into the folder. Ive been following the development thread over at the mediabrowser forum and its day and night better then the first version. If you havent checked out that thread, it may help you better understand the changes.

I'm still organizing my collection, so it may be a while before I'm done, but I look forward to the end result. I believe they talk about tools for collecting art and such as well.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
I use xbmc and advanced launcher for roms. I have NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Wii games. I had setup some of the older sega systems but I didn't play those games when I was younger so there's no nostalgia for me...and therefore, really no point in playing those games.

XBMC fetches the metadata and art work automatically and then if it makes mistakes I go to the mislabeled ones and search using the built in xbmc scrappers to fix them.

When I did use mediabrowser I used Red's gametime metadata manager, seemed to work okay but it was a bit more tedious as you had to go through the games one by one.

I just checked info on gamebrowser 2, looks like it will also grab metadata automatically from TGDB. I may have to look into this more since it seems to have a universal quit key which would be nice. But it'd be quit the pain to reorganize everything to go back to mediabrowser. Plus I don't think it looks as nice as xbmc. Decisions, decisions.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 AM

Liked: 10
Rom Collection Browser on XBMC is awesome. I used advanced launcher before this as well. Have a look:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70115
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlesnack View Post

Rom Collection Browser on XBMC is awesome. I used advanced launcher before this as well. Have a look:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70115
Cool thanks

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I recently started using the updated Gamebrowser II plugin on MB...and have to say its miles better than the original plugin. The wizards on there makes adding new emulators pretty painless. I have most of the emulators, NES, SNES, N64, GC, PSX, Genesis and PS2 installed and so far they launch great without any issues. Plus with the quit key (feature sorely missing from the old version) I can simply use the Back key on the WMC remote to quit the emulator without having to manually exit the emulators directly, especially the PSX and PS2. Plus its nice to not have to need a separate program to download the metadata.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I recently started using the updated Gamebrowser II plugin on MB...and have to say its miles better than the original plugin. The wizards on there makes adding new emulators pretty painless. I have most of the emulators, NES, SNES, N64, GC, PSX, Genesis and PS2 installed and so far they launch great without any issues. Plus with the quit key (feature sorely missing from the old version) I can simply use the Back key on the WMC remote to quit the emulator without having to manually exit the emulators directly, especially the PSX and PS2. Plus its nice to not have to need a separate program to download the metadata.

agree. It's way better.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page