7 Media Center Recording and Sleep Mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tried searching on here and the web to try and find out what is causing this, but can't find any definitive answer, most posts relate to using a 3rd party tool to manage your computer sleeping and waking, but AFAIK it should be automatic.

Example:

I set 7MC to record a series, 5 episodes are set to record each day. Unless I have my computer on for the first episode run (at 1345) none of the other recordings will commence, even at later times on the same or a different +1 channel. If my computer is on by 1345 it will go record every showing later on that day also.

Also, if I go out in the morning, set my computer to sleep, it will not wake up to perform scheduled recordings in 7MC.

Now I can sleep and wake my computer manually myself and I have everything set up so it can shut off power when sleeping and all the sleep modes set in bios S3 S4 etc.

Why doesn't my pc turn on to record and why is it having problems recording series that it hasn't done before?

Seems very strange to me and a hard problem to diagnose. I only wish it to record properly and awake from sleep to save power.

Thanks for any help.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Win7 power options has an option in Advanced settings to disable wake timers. When it is disable, your PC won't be able to wake up by itself to record. Double check your Power Options to make sure Wake Timers are not disabled somehow. I've only encountered this issue once when I was using Win7 RC to upgrade one of my laptops.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Win7 power options has an option in Advanced settings to disable wake timers. When it is disable, your PC won't be able to wake up by itself to record. Double check your Power Options to make sure Wake Timers are not disabled somehow. I've only encountered this issue once when I was using Win7 RC to upgrade one of my laptops.

Thanks I have just checked and they are enabled in all my power schemes. Strange isn't it! Its almost like my scheduled recordings are broken or something.

Goldeneye
post #4 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is why so many of us leave them on 24/7. And if you have an integrated pc like i3, the power consumption in idle is no more than a cfl light bulb.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

This is why so many of us leave them on 24/7. And if you have an integrated pc like i3, the power consumption in idle is no more than a cfl light bulb.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

+1

Although I had the wake to record working reliably on my first HTPC I wound up leaving it on 24/7, when I built a second I never bothered with sleep mode.

The primary reason was the user experience. Even as fast as it can be to wake from sleep, there is still a small delay. Also when you go to use the TV sometimes the HTPC is asleep, other times it is awake and recording. It just provides a more consistent experience for everyone if the HTPC is on all the time. Since the HTPCs use so little power when idle, and they spend several hours a day doing recordings it saves very little power to have them sleep.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well it looks like thats the only option for me, although I am using an older, less power efficient computer.

Anyway know anything about my second question? Its unrelated to sleep at all and happens if I have my computer on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post

I set 7MC to record a series, 5 episodes are set to record each day. Unless I have my computer on for the first episode run (at 1345) none of the other recordings will commence, even at later times on the same or a different +1 channel. If my computer is on by 1345 it will go record every showing later on that day also..

Goldeneye
post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you configured your PC to use S4 hibernation instead of S3 Sleep/suspend? I'm pretty sure WMC won't be able to wake your PC up from S4 hibernation (where power is completely down).

Besides, all my PCs wake up and sleep every day 365 days/year without any problems because I have nightly backup on every PC to my WHS. They always wake up, perform backup and go back to sleep reliably.

If your PC can't wake itself up, it means it can't check for Windows update either during the night, correct?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No the pc is set to sleep, hibernate is disabled.

I think the problem relates to an intermittant problem resuming from sleep.

I can't seem to repeat it myself by putting the pc into sleep, but sometimes if left i have found my pc doesn't wake properly and instead reboots and goes to the windows did not shut down properly screen.

Seems its hardware related of some sort. Just a pain now to diagnose as everything is 100% stable. Will just have to put up with and leave it on I guess... which is a pain as i sleep with it in my room.

Goldeneye
post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you tried checking to see what the problem is through Event Viewer?
post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

+1.

Event viewer now logs diagnostic events to help identify what prevents PC from proper wake up. Most of the time, video card drivers are the culprit.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Found out through event viewer and a minidump that there was a problem each time pointing towards a motionjoy driver I use (emulation of bluetooth ps3 controller) have uninstalled and will test out smile.gif thanks for help.

Goldeneye
Reply Home Theater Computers